+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stormcaller AOE PVE build, possibly fastest leveling?

Default Stormcaller AOE PVE build, possibly fastest leveling?

Stormcaller PVE build, possibly fastest lvling?

I was just joking about it a day or two ago, but suddenly, it's seeming like a good idea. I used to do aoe farming in other games, why not in Rift? Granted, it's not as easy cos mobs aren't THAT clumped together, but is it doable?

I reckon it is. I mean, if i take double the time to kill, though I kill 4-5 enemies at once, then maybe it's still faster leveling.

Now here is a small template

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Mt0Mtcsdo.Vp0x

as u can see, i've stopped at lvl 30+, as this is a LEVELING aoe build.

With the new Building storm, it seems like spamming Hypothermia causing effects is a good way to go. With arctic blast, u could be hitting ALOT of enemies at once.

So, how to do it?

Lets start with, say 3-4 enemies. You put up ur elemental shield first. Send it in to round up the 4 enemies and make sure they're all in front of u, say 25-35 metres in front of u (get some distance), start spamming Arctic Blast. IF the earth elemental is still holding onto the aggro of one enemy while the rest are slowly crawling towards u, make sure u turn off ur pet's abilities and/or use passive state so he'll start running back to u. Point is, don't separate the enemy clump. Arctic blast another 2-3 times, then EITHER use flash freeze, or WIND CHILL. This is cos u probably won't last long wth all of them whacking down on you.

Now later on, you'll get talents that will enable u to do MORE damage IF the enemy is electrified. Also, you'll get a talent called CHARGED FIELD which will make ur lightning field do insane damage. Learn to weave in Forked Lightning into the build later, but NOTE, it only hits 4 enemies max =(

You should have enough mana to down all the enemies you fight. Also remember that later, u can use up ur charges on STORM GUARD which will help u apply even more electrified debuffs which will help as ur Charged Field Lightning Field will eat them up.

Also, later you get HAILSTORM O_O, and LIGHTNING STORM... even more aoe madness.

While in Wow, you would gather enemies best on your horse, try learning to use ur pet to do so in this game. Always remember that you ARE fragile, but have insane aoe skills, and aoe immobilization. You can always put a point more into elemental tree so u can sacrifice ur elemental pet for 25% more hp if things get bad.

Always remember, u always have the option of Freezing everyone and running the hell away if things get bad.

NOW, i like the idea of using Warlock's Mortality for Aoe grinding. Unfortunately, i don't see how we can give up the +50% increase to crit damage in elemental. It's just too good to pass up considering how they're making stormcallers crit kings.

Now what i want to know... is does Hailstorm count as 6 Building Storm buffs or one, and is there a stack to the Building storm buff?

Anyone have any takes on this? I mean, this is just an aoe leveling idea i've not seen discussed that much.

EDIT :- this is how it would look at lvl 42 I guess? I still have no idea what to use for the 3rd tree...
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...MtbMtcsdR.Vp0x
    Last edited by Lyght; 02-15-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Plane Touched

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Mt0Mtcsdo.Vp0x

I reckon it is. I mean, if i take double the time to kill, though I kill 4-5 enemies at once, then maybe it's still faster leveling.
    There's a rather big flaw with this build:

You will die. A lot.

Lesser Earth Elemental does not have an AOE taunt. Greater Earth Elemental does, but in order to get that, you're going to need Greater Elemental Affinity.

I don't know what it is, exactly, with Stormcaller, but my experience with them is that they are remarkably flimsy. It's like they take extra damage from ranged physical attacks or something. Stone Armor/Ice Shield will help with that a lot. However, damage will still be accruing, and I don't think you'll survive long enough to get much AOE done.
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-15-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geldonyetich View Post
    You will die. A lot.

Lesser Earth Elemental does not have an AOE taunt.
    I think the idea is not to tank them, but to slow/freeze them until they are dead.

I dont know if that is possible, but i think thats the intention.

But, it worked fine when i last played. With a 75% slow, the enemies take forever to get to me. After that, a flash freeze and i'm at max range again. If that's not an option, then Wind Chill pushes them back so i've space again.

I think if u're new at this, then yes you will definitely die alot. ALOT. ALOT ALOT. But after u've got the hang of it, i think u can progress past 2 mobs to 3 and then to 4. Once u have all ur aoe skills, u can then grab as many as u wish. But the bigger the rewards, the bigger the risk =O

OR the other option is, if u can grab THAT many mobs, then just party with a healer. You'll still level faster than a single mob at a time. U use ur ele to grab 10 enemies (assuming they're all melee), u start with HAILSTORM, then straightaway with LIGHTNING STORM, then ARCTIC BLAST, Activate STATIC FLUX (+20% damage), LIGHTNING FIELD x3, then FLASH FREEZE, get distance and ARCTIC BLAST again. Follow that with a few more until HAILSTORM has cooldowned, then repeat the process again. Though i doubt they'll be alive.

With Charged Field, the 10 electrified enemies from Lightning storm should take massive amounts of damage when u cast Lightning Field x3!!! =3

IF you have a problem getting distance then put ONE point into Tailwind. It's one of the only charge abilities, that doesn't say you cannot gain charges while it is active. It will increase ur movement speed by 50%. Should allow you NOT to get hit at all.
    Last edited by Lyght; 02-15-2011 at 01:26 AM.

I guess the problem with most AoE tactics is to get the mobs together and even if you manage to pull that off solo, the time you need to get some mobs together to AoE them to death probably takes the same time or even longer as when you kill them one by one.

AoE lvling is great, but not solo thats for sure. Get a tank or a healer, something that can take major damage and everything will work out quite well.

just get a tank with a little splash in RB who runs around pulling with flamespear

And so the basis of the levelling services are being set.
    Javeline - Rogue of Bloodiron

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=145142&dateline=12965  15411

Rift Chaser

i take it you will not be doing too many quests then. but rather just kill stuff in a large open space where you will have the room to do this. ( found several quests that the space is rather confined and single pulling was the way to go. for example in the mines area markesmen just stand there shooting at you. you wont live long enough to get 2 or 3 together)

also at launch there will be players all over making it hard to get one mob (quest mob?) let alone a bunch of them. there are really no best builds to level fast rather only poor soul choices to level slowly.

I can tell you so far this has not worked in beta... for me at least.

I've spent most of my time playing a stormcaller and while I can take on 2-3 at a time solo and just string 2-3 more while finishing the last mob with transmogrify and refresh, and pausing 3-4 seconds to revitalize occasionally (keeps the downtime to an incredible minimum), AOE does NOT seem viable in the least. You die way too easy, and If you grab 1 or 2 extras they will take you down fast even with Stone Armor, Ice shield, and Static Barrier.

I can tell you this though, with a good tank (and healer of course) stormcallers can AOE the crap out of any dungeon.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuzo View Post
    I can tell you so far this has not worked in beta... for me at least.

I've spent most of my time playing a stormcaller and while I can take on 2-3 at a time solo and just string 2-3 more while finishing the last mob with transmogrify and refresh, and pausing 3-4 seconds to revitalize occasionally (keeps the downtime to an incredible minimum), AOE does NOT seem viable in the least. You die way too easy, and If you grab 1 or 2 extras they will take you down fast even with Stone Armor, Ice shield, and Static Barrier.

I can tell you this though, with a good tank (and healer of course) stormcallers can AOE the crap out of any dungeon.
    Good to know. But I am still going to try it. Problem is, the AE snare's cool down takes eons. The other snare has a cast time. This leads me to believe that I would be spening 90% of the fight keeping mobs snared and the other 10% is the running around bit.
    Last edited by Rotticus; 02-15-2011 at 05:58 AM.

For that the 30+ build I would take the point out of Storm Guard and put it in Ride the Wind, if you are slowing enemies it will help gain distance faster and you can build charge with it active.

Plane Touched

If you want to be aoe pulling you will want Mortality from the lock tree.

The best build for AoE, safely allowing you to take on 6 mobs each pull. Just avoid pulling 2+ ranged, since you can only run the pack over to 1 of them. Also, try and find a place with a house, so you can force any ranged to come next to you.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvRq.xx0V0V.xdbh

Send your pet out to grab a few mobs, then have him run back to you. Dark Touch a few mobs and have them run back to you. Cast Radiant Spores on them all and then spam Devouring Shadows, making you keep it up all the time. If your health drops below 50%, hit a Bloom. If it drops below 50% again, cast Mortality.

This build gets easier the higher level you get, since you can get the Ice Shield from Elemental Tree. You Also get Shadow LIfe at level 26 for the Oh snap button every 3 minutes, when things go really bad.
    Level 30 version - http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvRq.xx0V0Vo.xdbh.Vz

I still probably die every 20 pulls or so, but that is because you always want to pull 1 more than you know you should.
    Last edited by Albane; 02-15-2011 at 07:32 AM.

all nice but... what's the point in speeding up the levelling in RIFT?

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    all nice but... what's the point in speeding up the levelling in RIFT?
    On a PvP server, so you don't get rolled by a bored group of level 50's when you are level 30 and trying to quest.

On a PvE server, so you have more skill points to make yourself useful in PvP.

Also, to move through the 5 levels between instances.

Lastly, so you can reroll a warrior sooner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast