+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tested 40 Necro/Warlock/Dom PvP Build

Rift Disciple

Default Tested 40 Necro/Warlock/Dom PvP Build

Hi, i've played this build to 40 and spent a lot of time PvPing on it so i thought I would list my thoughts and experiences and give some constructive ideas if you are beginning as a Necro. If you have different experiences I would like to hear about them.

First off here is the build (like I said I'm only 40 so I am 32 pts necro, 2 dom, the rest working up the warlock tree). I am not going to initially use archmage - I think the dom is too useful for a low pt soul and if you are going to get they good stuff out of the PvP soul you need to sacrifice a lot of warlock. Maybe I will change my mid later, not sure.

I should say I only care about PvP so let's focus on that - I have a totally different Levelling Spec.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...s.xxohkaoek.0M

First - we should clear up some things. You kill things by debuffing them and having your pet damage them and finish up with soul purge. Bolts are for debuffs.

Also - you never stop moving except to soul purge. I see a lot of void bolt builds. Bad idea.

I only use the zealot - i can foresee a use for the mage pet if you need to AOE a choke point but for now the zealot maxes out on damage - the tank pet will never be used in PvP.

I also will say you need a lot of CC due to diminishing returns, PVP CC breaks and the need to run from Sabs.

I can't stress enough that mages standing still attract death. With this build you dont have to stand still except to kill - you can cast instas backwards while running away.

The build has alot of survivability so run away a lot - you can heal your pet, yourself, other players etc. be a pest, don't run to the front and die. People will get sick of chasing you. The build uses a lot of buttons - if you are a 3 button wow pally this is not for you. You need to remap your keys to use q,e,r,t,z,x,c,f,g,h,v and ctrl E, Ctrl 1, Ctrl 2 for your abilities.

Your rotation should be necrosis, looming demise then dark touch and also drop grave rot at any point in there if they stop moving. If you get an opp proc plague bolt and dont grave rot. It's important you do it in that order because as your LD drops your pet gets there and BOOOM critical blood spike for 400 on a cloth wearers. It freaks them out. I like to stun them right after the blood spike. They panic 90 percent of the time. Then I lich form and soul purge them down. If I dont want to stop running to SP I will drainign bolt and neural prod them as the pet and dots tick tick tick.

For Plate wearers and healers it's important to essence link them and get them to run - if they are running (healers) they can really heal well usually - the pet usually gets them to run.
    You will always have mana - if you get void knighted steal mana from your health and the pets health - thats why you have high pet health.

the class is fun to play if you can handle a lot of buttons and can keep moving - lots of mmo people cant do either of those. If you cannot do this or like a few buttons you will hate the class and die constantly. It's a thinking man's class. It's not OP but it has an answer for most everything.

Some commentary on skills you want and skills you don't

NECRO

You want to max pet damage - you do this by debuffing people - you dont want to be a stand still bolter. You kill people who are stand still bolters.

I don't use consuption - some do but I get my mana from the pet or from my health - one buff is too little to work into your rotation. if you could take 3 pts and remove 3 buffs then maybe.

Vengeful spirit and clattering bones are mutually exclusive - if you want the mage pet taake VS, otherwise take CB (you dont want the mage pet)

Lich form is awesome. It sometimes draws fire but more often people run. I'll say it again - there is only one skill you use in this build where you stand still - soul purge. You use plague bolt a lot but only on opportunity procs

WARLOCK

You will not ever use void bolt or life leech in PvP with this build. I know some people make void bolter builds but I dont udnerstand that paired with Necro. Dont put any points in these skills. I thought opportunity was something I would never use - I totally love it now. It takes a lot of SA and fast fingers but I use it all the time. It's hard to grave rot due to the horrid GT interface so I use opp-PB a lot. I use opp squirrel and opp fear A LOT. Opp wither a lot. It procs all the time with ten percent proc. I'm not sure if pet attacks count but it procs every fight. It is super useful. Love it. Opp Plague Bolt Draining bolt is a very quick finisher.

You need Dark Fury - you need two stuns, you are always running out of CC and wither only works on Opp Procs. You want 32 necro for deaths grasp and 32 warlock for Choke. I constantly use the dominator KB to get melees off me and healers.

Draining bolt is sweet for better damage than neural prod (insta of course - always insta) Warlock damage mitigation will be sweet and neddra's essence will let you live thru sab bomb cheese and focus.

I use neddras torture on tougher plate guys in conjunction with essence link healing shield - it has a 1 sec cast so sometimes i stop moving to cast it Nothing else however.

Fear is great for getting rid of pets, so is squirrel, you can sometimes fear off pets because you are way off the line and can stop moving - otherwise only opp- fear

DOMINATOR

In small fights squirrel is key. Dump their healer with this. Any time i get an opp proc I will tab squirrel and get right back on my chosen victim.

The knockback is sweet. it is of course insta.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Animalmom; 02-17-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Nice build and I appreciate the commentary!

Was the NDA lifted on Alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by Animalmom View Post
    Your rotation should be necrosis, looming demise then dark touch and also drop grave rot at any point in there if they stop moving.
    Why mess with looming demise now that they merged pets enhanced damage with necrosis instead of looming demise? Just using it for 5% dmg debuff doesnt seem like much in the grand scheme of a quick pvp battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Albane View Post
    Was the NDA lifted on Alpha?
    it's a post from the future.

edit - looks like a fun build.
    Last edited by Azath; 02-14-2011 at 06:44 PM.

This is exactly what I have working with on my 30 mage, but obviously a lesser version. This looks identical to what my necro role would look like at 40

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    Why mess with looming demise now that they merged pets enhanced damage with necrosis instead of looming demise? Just using it for 5% dmg debuff doesnt seem like much in the grand scheme of a quick pvp battle.
    Did they? Hadn't noticed. That is great news. So LD only lowers damage output by 5%? Nothing else? Yeah. goodbye LD if that's the case.

I really do appreciate this thread. My thoughts about my build tend to change from hour to hour and its good to see a clear concise idea on how to play out this soultree combo.
    Last edited by Ticklepink; 02-14-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

Quote Originally Posted by Animalmom View Post
    Did they? Hadn't noticed. That is great news. So LD only lowers damage output by 5%? Nothing else? Yeah. goodbye LD if that's the case.
    Yea the tooltip in game wasnt updated in the last beta but this was from before last beta
    - Skeletal Zealot: Blood Spike now uses Necrosis to receive a 100% chance to critically hit, instead of Looming Demise.
    - Skeletal Knight: Bone Shatter now uses Necrosis to deal additional damage, instead of Looming Demise.

I did test last beta and with looming demise on the damage didnt change so it is in fact necrosis now. I liked that change too.

Telaran

Of course it's a Necro/Lock posting about pvp.

EQ1 preLuclin, Saryrn
    WoW preWotLK, Terenas
    Vangaurd preAPW, Woefeather

Quote Originally Posted by Krejci View Post
    Of course it's a Necro/Lock posting about pvp.
    Because it's the most difficult thing to pvp against anything with (excluding hiding behind warriors and rogues and aoe dotting and bragging that you did #1 dmg and didnt really have an impact in any way what-so-ever)... and his spec and the way he uses it is pretty nifty. I welcome constructive posts like Animalmom's tbh.
    Last edited by Shhhh; 02-14-2011 at 08:38 PM.

OP spot on! Did a lot of time in warfronts last beta with a similar build. Was the most fun I have had in a long time.

I was using most of my oppurtunities to throw heals, more of a support fashion rather than offensive. Of course, if no one was around and someone was foolish enough to attack me one on one I would use it offensively.

Good write up my friend, Kudoos!

Rift Disciple

I'm not sure where the hate came from above - are necros/locks considered bad in PvP?

What i always do on Black Garden as well is if we get the fang I run behind the FC and blood bind and heal them for a while and set the pet on the most annoying guy coming in - i just interdict the warriors with stuns and CC etc.

I vary the classes I play in PvP - my only other pet class played was in vanguard.

Telaran

Nice writeup! I'm going to give this build a try for beta 7. Thanks again!

Telaran

Where's the elemental pvp posts? ...Crickets...

EQ1 preLuclin, Saryrn
    WoW preWotLK, Terenas
    Vangaurd preAPW, Woefeather

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast