+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outcome of focusing on Dominator with Elementalist as primary classes?

Shadowlander

Default Outcome of focusing on Dominator with Elementalist as primary classes?

Would a Dominator with Elementalist (or Elemental Summoner if that is going to be the new name) as the two primary classes work fairly well in solo, warfronts, small groups, etc? I plan to add Stormcaller as the other class. Clearly there is a lot of synergy between the Elementalist and the Stormcaller. Elementalist/Stormcaller with a bit of Dominator could be interesting but a Dominator/Elementalist as the two largest point expenditures looks like fun.

Prophet of Telara

You know... every time I look through the dominator tree, it just has so much stuff focussed on Transmogrify, that it puts me off. The most I've ever done is switched my 0 point to Dom when a group needed the 0 pt mez. I'd even taken to prefering the Archon 0 point in most situations, because it's a good buff as long as you remember to keep it up once it's stacked.

But I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend some time next beta, trying out a Dom as a main soul and see what I can make of it.... so I'm kinda interested to see what people come up with in this thread.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic World View Post
    Would a Dominator with Elementalist (or Elemental Summoner if that is going to be the new name) as the two primary classes work fairly well in solo, warfronts, small groups, etc? I plan to add Stormcaller as the other class. Clearly there is a lot of synergy between the Elementalist and the Stormcaller. Elementalist/Stormcaller with a bit of Dominator could be interesting but a Dominator/Elementalist as the two largest point expenditures looks like fun.
    As someone who leveled to 20 as an Ele/SC/Dom, then played a DoM a lot in dungeons and some PvP, I would not reccomend the Dominator for PvE soloing. While you are fully capable of killing things, it just takes a lot longer then a higher damage build. A lot of what you can do as a Dominator will assist in crippling or hindering the MoB for your group to kill faster, easier, etc. So when you're there crippling something, every GCD is a portion of time where you aren't dpsing and I've found the Dominator slower for leveling.

Now if you plan on a high Dom build for PvP, well that is hilarious and fun. Split Personality is by far my favorite PvP spell.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    As someone who leveled to 20 as an Ele/SC/Dom, then played a DoM a lot in dungeons and some PvP, I would not reccomend the Dominator for PvE soloing. While you are fully capable of killing things, it just takes a lot longer then a higher damage build. A lot of what you can do as a Dominator will assist in crippling or hindering the MoB for your group to kill faster, easier, etc. So when you're there crippling something, every GCD is a portion of time where you aren't dpsing and I've found the Dominator slower for leveling.

Now if you plan on a high Dom build for PvP, well that is hilarious and fun. Split Personality is by far my favorite PvP spell.
    This sounds like good advice. I think perhaps I should put a large amount of points into the Elementalist for most of the early and mid point levels.

Yes, I will be interested in trying out the Dominator in PvP (probably mainly in warfronts). I like the general idea of debilitating enemies and wrecking havoc among them. I also like the pets of the Elementalist. The earth pet's appearance seems sort of bland though. I haven't seen the air or water ones yet. The Stormcaller air-water tandem is pretty interesting too.

Edit: I would often duo in the game. The other player will probably start out by playing a Riftstalker melee oriented rogue but he hasn't entirely finished making the decision.
    Last edited by Dynamic World; 02-14-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Soulwalker

I've played in only 2 Rift betas to date with little experience with other soul combinations, so take my input in that light. I played a Dom/Ele/SC up to level 32 and found that by maxing out my air damage & spell crit talents I solo well enough. I played an EQ Enchanter and the crowd control of the Dom doesn't feel up to par with that class but my damage output far exeeds the poor Enchanter. I haven't had enough experience yet with optional builds to know how it compares to other mages. Though come release I'll definitely be going with this build, I'm heavy in the Dom, with a good bit of Ele, and just a tad of SC for spellcrit (High Voltage). I may not be the DPS machine but squirreling people is fun and was just beginning to experiment with Overpowering Will (I think it's called) - a good crit with my ele lightening strike is a great opener and with a solid pet from the Ele line PvE was easy enough. I felt a little less useful in PvP and dungeons but once I get use to the abilities I think I'll do better, and in a group that synergizes with me as with any crowd control class I'll do better. All in all it is a fun build to play, imho. I'm not concerned with big numbers for damage output I'm happy to see my clerics out heal the opponents due to the fact that they were often squirrels during the conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabarkus View Post
    I've played in only 2 Rift betas to date with little experience with other soul combinations, so take my input in that light. I played a Dom/Ele/SC up to level 32 and found that by maxing out my air damage & spell crit talents I solo well enough. I played an EQ Enchanter and the crowd control of the Dom doesn't feel up to par with that class but my damage output far exeeds the poor Enchanter. I haven't had enough experience yet with optional builds to know how it compares to other mages. Though come release I'll definitely be going with this build, I'm heavy in the Dom, with a good bit of Ele, and just a tad of SC for spellcrit (High Voltage). I may not be the DPS machine but squirreling people is fun and was just beginning to experiment with Overpowering Will (I think it's called) - a good crit with my ele lightening strike is a great opener and with a solid pet from the Ele line PvE was easy enough. I felt a little less useful in PvP and dungeons but once I get use to the abilities I think I'll do better, and in a group that synergizes with me as with any crowd control class I'll do better. All in all it is a fun build to play, imho. I'm not concerned with big numbers for damage output I'm happy to see my clerics out heal the opponents due to the fact that they were often squirrels during the conflict.
    As a Dominator, you are not a crowd control class so much as a debuffer and control class. You will only be ccing one MoB at a time while the rest of your skills revolve around crippling the various Cleric/Mage or Melee roles in a variety of ways. Having also been an enchanter I can assure you that this isn't the mez, slow and party style gameplay. There are a lot of debuffs on relatively short durations so you'll constantly be reapplying and rotating through in multi-MoB encounters.

Which personally I like a lot more, since you are always doing 12 things at once. It just doesn't solo quickly, it will solo well enough... just at a snails pace.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic World View Post
    This sounds like good advice. I think perhaps I should put a large amount of points into the Elementalist for most of the early and mid point levels.

Yes, I will be interested in trying out the Dominator in PvP (probably mainly in warfronts). I like the general idea of debilitating enemies and wrecking havoc among them. I also like the pets of the Elementalist. The earth pet's appearance seems sort of bland though. I haven't seen the air or water ones yet. The Stormcaller air-water tandem is pretty interesting too.

Edit: I would often duo in the game. The other player will probably start out by playing a Riftstalker melee oriented rogue but he hasn't entirely finished making the decision.
    You could probably rock a heavy Elementalist build with Dominator for most PvE and PvP content. The mix of pets, nukes, DoTs and such mix well with a Dominator. Once you're high enough you would be an excellent Mage and/or Rogue hunter as well. Since the combination of KBs, snares, silences and energy denial are powerful fun tools.

Also a note on the pets: The Water pet looks awesome and is seriously a PvP pet. (It might be great for certain high level encounters as well with the snares and such.) The greater Earth pet gets some lava looking skin and is a great dealer large. Nothing too amazing, but better then the first model.

I've only gotten to play this combo a little bit but I'm loving it. Open with a damage/slow, hit with a big electric nuke, then run casting an instant cast damage spell. Got a damage shield too. The debuffs and squirrel are icing on the cake. Pretty sure this will be my main combo of souls.

+ Reply to Thread