+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Help me build a DPS Mage that's useful in groups

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default Help me build a DPS Mage that's useful in groups

    Hello there,

    I am going to be rolling a mage when the game goes live and primarily I want this guy to have good DPS, However I would like to make my guy useful when grouped with others,

    I was thinking of going pyro/warlock as that seems to be a good DPS choice from what ive seen (correct me if im wrong) But i was thinking of sticking a healer class in there so I can do more than just DPS when im playing with friends.

    Am I mad to be thinking of this, will i be making a char that is a jack of all trades type or is this a good idea? ( I wasn't going to put my points into the healer talents, just enough so my heals are worth casting.)

    My other idea was to make my third choice elemental so I get the pet. But will this come back to bite me if I don't put any points into it?

    Thanks you in advance

    killfest.

  2. #2
    Shield of Telara Arieste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killfest View Post
    I was thinking of going pyro/warlock as that seems to be a good DPS choice from what ive seen (correct me if im wrong) But i was thinking of sticking a healer class in there so I can do more than just DPS when im playing with friends.
    .
    you can't do good dps AND good healing at the same time. you're either doing one or the other. if you're trying to do both, both are mediocre. this is useful for when your main healer isn't strong enough but the fight calls for some dps.. still, the majority of the time you want to EITHER heal OR dps. you get 3 roles pretty early one, so set 1 up for dps, 1 up for heals and 1 hybrid for when you're not sure which way the fight will go.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

  3. #3
    Plane Walker FinalplayerRyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killfest View Post
    Hello there,

    I am going to be rolling a mage when the game goes live and primarily I want this guy to have good DPS, However I would like to make my guy useful when grouped with others,

    I was thinking of going pyro/warlock as that seems to be a good DPS choice from what ive seen (correct me if im wrong) But i was thinking of sticking a healer class in there so I can do more than just DPS when im playing with friends.

    Am I mad to be thinking of this, will i be making a char that is a jack of all trades type or is this a good idea? ( I wasn't going to put my points into the healer talents, just enough so my heals are worth casting.)

    My other idea was to make my third choice elemental so I get the pet. But will this come back to bite me if I don't put any points into it?

    Thanks you in advance

    killfest.
    Pyro gives you good single target damage and Warlock gives you medium AoE Damage + Survival Skills. Stormcaller is something you might wanna look into, because i have yet to see a class that makes such insane AoE Damage, but i have to add that Stormcaller i havenīt found really useful in PvP. While saying PvP, you should probably add what you want to do exactly with your group. For Example if you go PvE you probably wanna add Dominator as third Soul, because it got a quite useful mez.


  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Hmmmm I like the idea of the mezz, how many points will I have to spend in dominator to get that?

    thanks for the help.

  5. #5
    Shield of Telara Arieste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killfest View Post
    Hmmmm I like the idea of the mezz, how many points will I have to spend in dominator to get that?

    thanks for the help.
    zero.

    /10char
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default << Loves Dominator.

    Zero, but it takes some points into the tree to let it reach its full potential: an instacast spell that costs 16.2% rather than 18% of your mana, lasts 36 seconds, has 0 CD, has a -25% chance to be resisted, and, on enemies above 70% health, breaks only when they take 5% + 0.5% per point in Dominator of your (not their) max health. A lot of those buffs apply to your other CC as well.
    Dominator Fhtagn!

  7. #7
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arieste View Post
    zero.

    /10char

    Right so pyro/warlock/dom it is then. thinking of pouring most of the points into pyro. what are the must have Warlock skills?

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple Metalforall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killfest View Post
    Right so pyro/warlock/dom it is then. thinking of pouring most of the points into pyro. what are the must have Warlock skills?
    Go to the Zam site and toy around with builds or wait for tomorow and check them out
    (.:= Guild: Dawn of a new Day - Blightweald EU =:.)

    C2D E4300 OC at 2,7 Ghz (1,8 default) - 4GB DDR2 - XP64 SP2 - ATI 5770 1GB GDDR5 - PSU 600W OCZ Modxstream-Pro

  9. #9
    Shield of Telara Arieste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    621

    Default

    If you're putting most points into pyro, then Charge and Crit are your best Warlock skills.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts