+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage choices a little overwhelming...

Default Mage choices a little overwhelming...

Hey all, new to Rift, downloading the beta as I type.

I always play ranged caster types, either damage or support, with the range of class choice, it seems quite overwhelming, my question is...is it overwhelming? Can you respec easily if you make a build mistake? Does it allow for you to make your "own" build as opposed to the normal cookie cutter specs you see in other MMO's, advice appreciated!

Yes you can respec cheap at the class trainer in game as often as you like, you can get additional roles so you can change specs on the fly, and more.

For example if you want a support / cc mage you can have that in one role, if you want a pet class mage you can have that on another role, if you want a dps spec you can put that on another role... then switch to whatever role you want to use. Dont like the way you put your points into one spec? go to that role, go to class trainer, and pay to reset it then put them in again.

It's really quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmosis View Post

I always play ranged caster types, either damage or support, with the range of class choice, it seems quite overwhelming, my question is...is it overwhelming? Can you respec easily if you make a build mistake? Does it allow for you to make your "own" build as opposed to the normal cookie cutter specs you see in other MMO's, advice appreciated!
    You can't possibly screw up your character. Other than choosing your race and calling (Mage, Warrior, Rogue, Cleric) all other choices can then be respecced unlimited times.

See chart in my sig for some basics (it's a bit dated now)
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

Prophet of Telara

I like Arieste's flow chart for choosing. It's a little tongue in cheek - but the results are actually pretty good.

X

Soulwalker

Nice chart Arieste. Should help a lot of people atleast know where to start.

yes, chart is amazing!

Do you want to suck? - yes - Justicar! I fell out of my chair roflmao

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    yes, chart is amazing!

justicar has been revamped since then, so (pending testing) no more tanking suckage. also, you do end up with justicar as a recommendation later on for other things

i'll think about updating the chart for live...
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

That chart is perfect, I guess I will have to try out a few specs to see which one I prefer. Was thinking of going Storm caller + Warlock, can you have all 3 roles active at once or do you have to switch?

Hello and welcome!

I agree that the sheer number of souls can be quite overwhelming from the beginning, but it's well worth getting more familiar with all of them.

Now, for your character, the only thing that is unchangeable is your calling (Warrior, Mage, Cleric, Rogue). Each calling has 9 souls (8 PvE, 1 PvP). When your character enters starting area, you have to pick 3 souls (after doing some quests) from given selection of your calling.

Starting with level 15, you can do additional quests for obtaining remaining PvE souls (PvP one is bought differently). Once you acquire all souls, you can swap between them at will, as long as there is no point invested in the soul you want to swap out.
    If there is any point in a soul, you have to visit your trainer to reset points (it's quite cheap to do).

Also, as you progress towards level 50, you can buy 3 additional Roles (4 total) for cash. Each Role can be any combination of 9 souls (if you have them obtained), e.g. for Mage, Chloro + Necro + Warlock or Warlock + Pyro + Ele, ect. Swapping takes 2 seconds and is really easy (although it's quite expensive to obtain additional Roles).

So don't worry, you aren't making any crucial (or irreversible) decisions when picking starting 3 souls. However, if you make "unworking" setup, questing towards level 15 might be a little bit harder.
    Last edited by mage souls; 02-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    Which is worse? Ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    yes, chart is amazing!

The chart is amazing and the Justicar bit made my day!

That chart is perfect, I guess I will have to try out a few specs to see which one I prefer. Was thinking of going Storm caller + Warlock, can you have all 3 roles active at once or do you have to switch?
    You have all 3 of your chosen SOULS active and at your disposal within a role. The role is a combination of 3 souls of your choosing. Like mentioned previously you can acquire additional roles and reset the points for a fairly small fee and switching roles strips the benefits from the previous role when you swap.

+ Reply to Thread