+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Party space for CC?

Rift Chaser

Default Party space for CC?

I really like the idea of 51 dom, 15 archon (or something similar), but what bugs me about such a build is that people may not want it in their parties. This would obviously be a full support & buff character with little to no damage. Will parties be making room for this type of character as a party booster, or will they mostly be looking for a tank, healer, and handful of DDs for faster killspeed? I know in a lot of other MMOs people obsess over each person's damage % and only take pure DDs.....

I know I can have multiple builds at once, but I like this as a main spec.
    Last edited by Kavrae; 02-14-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavrae View Post
    I really like the idea of 51 dom, 15 archon (or something similar), but what bugs me about such a build is that people may not want it in their parties. This would obviously be a full support & buff character with little to no damage. Will parties be making room for this type of character as a party booster, or will they mostly be looking for a tank, healer, and handful of DDs for faster killspeed? I know in a lot of other MMOs people obsess over each person's damage % and only take pure DDs.....

I know I can have multiple builds at once, but I like this as a main spec.
    I've been wondering this as well. I think it will come down to the people in the group. Pugs may want the typical healer, tank, dps, dps, dps groups, and I think that full support builds will be harder to join them. however, running with a guild or at least with a few of the same people most of the time, builds like full dom or heavy archon will be more accepted.

Of course, this will all depend on the reason for the party as well. If you are dungeon running, then some dungeons may have a lot of CC immune mobs as we've seen in other games, in which case a full dom will be less usefull. We'll have to wait and see.

I think everyone in general is going to need to learn to be more flexible with group makeups in this game. Both the puggers and the individuals. I wouldn't cave to changing spec everytime a group demands it, but some situations may call to pull up a different role.

Plane Walker

I got to 35 as a mage, did the dungeons they have and can honestly say if your group needs CC, then something is wrong.

The few times the group asked me to cc i was able to handle it with 0 points in Dominator. This time around I won't even bother having that as my third soul. Chloro spores is more handy.

Also I can't imagine any raid scenario where they will be asking you to CC.

seeing as you get 4 specs, every mage will have one that is either 51archon or 51dom or both simply for those rare situations where they need to switch. my guess is many will have a 51 chloro build too for main healing whenever possible as well as their favor dps/pvp specs.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Xynvyctus View Post
    I got to 35 as a mage, did the dungeons they have and can honestly say if your group needs CC, then something is wrong.

The few times the group asked me to cc i was able to handle it with 0 points in Dominator. This time around I won't even bother having that as my third soul. Chloro spores is more handy.

Also I can't imagine any raid scenario where they will be asking you to CC.

That sucks. Here I was hoping that dungeons would be difficult enough to require more than the typical smash-until-dead technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Brink907 View Post
    I've been wondering this as well. I think it will come down to the people in the group. Pugs may want the typical healer, tank, dps, dps, dps groups, and I think that full support builds will be harder to join them. however, running with a guild or at least with a few of the same people most of the time, builds like full dom or heavy archon will be more accepted.

Of course, this will all depend on the reason for the party as well. If you are dungeon running, then some dungeons may have a lot of CC immune mobs as we've seen in other games, in which case a full dom will be less usefull. We'll have to wait and see.

I think everyone in general is going to need to learn to be more flexible with group makeups in this game. Both the puggers and the individuals. I wouldn't cave to changing spec everytime a group demands it, but some situations may call to pull up a different role.
    One of the main points of the spec availabily is to be able to switch specs to what benefits the group most. If you refuse to switch to the groups benefits then whats the point of even playing in group?

Rift Chaser

Naturally, with there being 4 specs, I'll probably have (main soul only):

1) Chloromancer
    2) Dominator
    3) Elementalist
    4) Archon

That way I have basically one of every party role. I was really hoping to make dom my main spec though.
    Last edited by Kavrae; 02-14-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zike View Post
    One of the main points of the spec availabily is to be able to switch specs to what benefits the group most. If you refuse to switch to the groups benefits then whats the point of even playing in group?
    I agree with you, and one of the draws for me is the class diversity. My point was, that if you really have your heart set on playing a specific spec, then pugs may be difficult if that spec is full support. Sometimes I'm going to feel like playing full dom mixed with a bit of archon when I login. I'm just going to have to realize that getting in a group may be more difficult or take longer to find one that fits what I want to do that day.

What I plan to avoid though are the groups that say "unless you are specced x/y/z then you can't come" There will be a lot of those type of groups that think you can only handle a situation one specific way . . . in which I disagree . . . so I simply won't group with them. There is a time and a place for certain builds sure, but it doesn't have to be 100% of the time is all.

I love going on a group run and being able to switch from necro/lock to full dom for a couple of hard pulls, then to necro/chloro for the boss, then back to necro/lock again. It's great fun! But some folks may want to stay one spec and that is their choice. They'll just have to be picky about the groups they go with.

Dominator is PvP soul. Even their 51 spells only work in PvP.

Archon is a raiding soul. Little benefit in a dungeon.

Devs have said that stuff in the expert 5 man instances will require CC and/or backup healing and other unique abilities. So CC will definitely have a role in some fights.

With that being said, 51 points in Dom for PvE is way overkill, and as the above poster said, you can't even use the 51 point ability on mobs.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Rift Chaser

Aaah, I'd forgotten that the uber skill was PvP only. I may have to rethink my builds in terms of Dungeon, raid, PvP, etc. I shall return.

Quote Originally Posted by Brink907 View Post
    I agree with you, and one of the draws for me is the class diversity. My point was, that if you really have your heart set on playing a specific spec, then pugs may be difficult if that spec is full support. Sometimes I'm going to feel like playing full dom mixed with a bit of archon when I login. I'm just going to have to realize that getting in a group may be more difficult or take longer to find one that fits what I want to do that day.

What I plan to avoid though are the groups that say "unless you are specced x/y/z then you can't come" There will be a lot of those type of groups that think you can only handle a situation one specific way . . . in which I disagree . . . so I simply won't group with them. There is a time and a place for certain builds sure, but it doesn't have to be 100% of the time is all.

I love going on a group run and being able to switch from necro/lock to full dom for a couple of hard pulls, then to necro/chloro for the boss, then back to necro/lock again. It's great fun! But some folks may want to stay one spec and that is their choice. They'll just have to be picky about the groups they go with.
    Ya, I have to agree with that as well, I don't think there is only one way to do things either. I was thinking of adding to that statement - "But you can always create your own group where that spec fits great lol"

Rift Chaser

After looking it over and determining that half of a Dominator's skills seem more PvP oriented, I'm thinking half Dominator half Stormcaller sounds like a decent default spec.

Telaran

I dont understand why they made 31 and 51 ability only affect against players and players pets. There is pvp soul...
    Maybe im wrong, but it seems for me pure dominator almost useless for raids too unfortunately.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by variand View Post
    I dont understand why they made 31 and 51 ability only affect against players and players pets. There is pvp soul...
    Maybe im wrong, but it seems for me pure dominator almost useless for raids too unfortunately.
    I actually like the idea that more than 1 soul per class has PvP potential. Having everyone main Archmage with 2 lesser souls would get boring after a while.

It does seem to me though, that the larger the battles become the more use a pure support character will have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast