+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would a non-healing mage be at a big disadvantage?

Soulwalker

Default Would a non-healing mage be at a big disadvantage?

I was thinking how integral is the ability to heal in this game?

I was just playing around with the trees and thought of a Storm/Pyro/Ele build and realised that the build doesn't have any healing magic. Would this be detrimental to you in PvE? Especially compared against having a Chloro soul or a Necro soul with Soul Purge.

With Ele you'd have the pet to pull aggro to reduce the amount of damage you take. That should be taken into account.

I would assume you'd definately need healing in PvP because it seems it is pretty difficult to stop a warrior or rogue from being able to hit you a few times.

Zac
    Plane Touched

hmmm, i wrote this in one build thread:

"You should state for what kind of gameplay, you want to use the build, cause on lvl 50 you have 4 roles, which means you can optimize one build for one type of gameplay, like pve (solo/5er party/20er raid/crafting) or pvp (1vs1 duel or gank, 2vs openworld, warfront in premade or pug, zerg, realm vs realm, premade vs premade, etc...)."

Plane Touched

What a lame person. Considering he stated pve, that should be enough not to have people be ****s about answers. True, he should have used the search button to look for posts like his, especially since there are more chloro posts than anything else. To answer, chloro is not required. It will make leveling smooth, but slower than a pure dps build. You won't die unless you are a bad, bad, mage and play like a plate wearer. Having the ele rock pet will make you survive better as well, at least for the beginning levels.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    What a lame person. Considering he stated pve, that should be enough not to have people be ****s about answers. True, he should have used the search button to look for posts like his, especially since there are more chloro posts than anything else. To answer, chloro is not required. It will make leveling smooth, but slower than a pure dps build. You won't die unless you are a bad, bad, mage and play like a plate wearer. Having the ele rock pet will make you survive better as well, at least for the beginning levels.
    Thanks. This is all I was looking for. Sorry for not searching.

Zac
    Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    What a lame person.
    Yeah yeah, i could have said 'stupid noob l2p' ... this is 2011 people should know how a forum works, how a search works even google would spit out some answers, as this forums gets indexed ... don't let random people work for you on the internet, if you can't offer something in return.

IF you do not have any healing skills, then you MUST have a pet, and between the two, the Earth elemental is the better choice for more tankability.

Do expect to drink occassionally, especially during pulls of 2-3 mobs. The good thing about you going so heavy damage, is that you should be able to kill your mobs quicker. The best defence is a good offence, thus by killing ur mobs quicker, u'll take less damage too.

But without healing, PLEASE be careful. It's VERY easy to die without a backup plan, and it's very easy to get overwhelmed, because you'll want to run away, but chances are, there's NO where to run.

You'll also want to have potions ready for emergency situations.

Do remember that in ele tree, u can get a damage shield at lvl 6, which you should keep up in all battles.

Btw, if u chose stormcaller for AOE farming, then i'm not sure pyro is the best support, i'd pick something else instead, but honestly speaking, if you're a good player, you'll manage just fine. =D

Prophet of Telara

The search engine on these forums sucks to high heaven too... they really need to sort it out.

X

Quote Originally Posted by MegaloWho View Post
    I was thinking how integral is the ability to heal in this game?

I was just playing around with the trees and thought of a Storm/Pyro/Ele build and realised that the build doesn't have any healing magic. Would this be detrimental to you in PvE? Especially compared against having a Chloro soul or a Necro soul with Soul Purge.

With Ele you'd have the pet to pull aggro to reduce the amount of damage you take. That should be taken into account.

I would assume you'd definately need healing in PvP because it seems it is pretty difficult to stop a warrior or rogue from being able to hit you a few times.
    Just like pretty much every other MMO ever, healing is not required. If you're a DPS class, you just need to DPS, someone else will heal.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arieste View Post
    Just like pretty much every other MMO ever, healing is not required. If you're a DPS class, you just need to DPS, someone else will heal.
    PVE, maybe not so much unless you are planning on being grouped often, For solo, others have had some good advice. With the damage shield and a tank pet, you will do just fine so long as you are careful with pulls. Just watch your positioning, and always check your backside. Mobs in rift often respawn quicker then you think and in a lot of areas, patrols have large paths and can sneak up on ya.

+ Reply to Thread