+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Necrobuild - Looking for input.

Question My Necrobuild - Looking for input.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Vtous.xcVhbk.b

I'm just wondering if anyone have some thoughts on how I could improve this build. What I'm going for is survivability for fast/easy leveling and the option to be really helpful in instances (hence the Dominator as second soul).

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Edit: I was thinking about removing the +50% to pet HP and Empty the crypts, but adding that in Controlled Opportunity + Split Personality. Then I lose Last Grasp and Empty the Crypts but gain Death's Edict, which seems like a better spell overall.
    Last edited by kultom; 02-14-2011 at 04:52 AM.

Prophet of Telara

There's nothing in particular wrong with your build that strikes me. Your Edit suggestion is perfectly reasonable too. Most people focussing on survivable fast levelling take Necro/Lock of course - and both of those do offer some useful support for groups as well (Spot healing, debuffs, fear, snare, Endurance buffs etc). Still, if you're wanting to go for a greater support offering, Dom is definitely one way to go.

I don't know what level you already have or if you're planning on starting this as a new character in the next beta... but you should probably think about some of the key staging points of around level 15, mid-20s and mid-30s. What would your build look like at that time? What would your basic casting rotation look like at that time? How well are you using the tools of your souls in those rotations?

That's often a useful exercise in knowing what you're going to be doing and sometimes affects the build choices you make. Consider - you might very well prefer to have different roles or different builds at different times.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 02-14-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Soulwalker

I would leave out Master Chirurgeon and I would move the point in Empty the Crypts to Consumption myself, seeing as Empty the Crypts uses charge and so does Soul Purge, and right now Soul Purge is better to use then Empty the Crypts.

The +50% health to your pet is really kind of a silly waste for 5 points that you could use on something better, and Consuption seems a lot more usefull then Empty the Crypts when you can get mana regen from it and use Soul Purge for your charges.

Not really sure what I would spend the 5 points from Master Chirurgeon on, honestly I would probably take Warlock instead of Chloro and spend it on the increased Charge gain, you also gain a life leach that way so you are not really hurting yourself by droping Chloro. That would leave you with 3 points to spend in the Dominator tree.

If your willing to drop Deadly Plague becuase you can get Deathly Calling from Grave Rot, then you have 5 more points to spend in the dominator tree. In its current state Plague Bolt is kinda useless except in certain situations and builds.

Hope you dont take offence to this but I think you have put together a build that doesnt consider the fact you have 3 roles to swap between when you are gaming. I originally had a similar idea to yourself by having a necro/dom but then quickly realised that this was simply not needed. The times I wanted anything more than a simple transmogrfy in my group play was when we had enough time to stop and plan the next enounter. If you have time to do that, then you have time to swap roles.

As such, my main build suddenly fell back to the Necro / Lock build as it has so many complimentary spells / abilities that will buff death damage and DOTS. When you couple that with the fact you can let your pet dish out some heavy DPS while circling DOTS on the enemies then warlock just fits perfectly.

For solo play, if you spec a necro / lock, concentrating on necro first and then putting points into lock as you get double point levels then you will simply have no problems levelling. You will just plough through the content and once you get feign death then you will pretty much never die as if you do bite off more you can chew then just escape, get up, heal up and go back at it. For your zero point soul you can either have dom (for the very usefull CC) or archon (for some extra debuff).

If you want some utility in a group then think about creating a new role, perhaps a chloro/dom. If you want to give your group support when you are out of your DPS role then I would reccomend your 2nd role concentrating on chloro. You can then be nice and creative with your 3rd role, perhaps spec it for PvP, another DPS build or another support build.

Hope that helps. I just feel your build is a little middle of the road and you are trying to get too much utility out of a single build. The beauty of RIFT is that you can swap up roles while out and about, it takes just a few seconds so you dont need to learn 1 build, you need to learn how all souls work in your calling and how they interact with each other. Its a lot more to learn than most games where you can cookie cutter your build.
    Last edited by Jebu; 02-14-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks, good advice. (This post was started before i read Jebu's thoughts. Which I think is some good points, did not think about the possibility to switch it up that often.)

I think my level 15 would look like this as I'm mostly PvEing alone at this point: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwsR.xxcz.0c.b

20, added some more points in Dom for Realm of Fae, and get Purge rather fast: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwsR.xxck0z.xc.b

30, add the Zelot and some more damage, by this point my pet should be doing quite good damage as I'm around +50% damage on them as well as I think I will have some gear that benefits the pet: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwsR.xxckVzo.xcVh.b

After that I don't think it matters much what I take, more dom if i go instances a lot, more necro if I end up soloing I guess.

On how I use my spells, I think I'll have to test the Necro a lot more before I get into, but that what i plan to use this beta for. So that when head-start is upon us, I'll be ready to rush for 50. Which I find to be fun, so no complaints about "power leveling" being bad and I should enjoy the game and lore. I plan to do that with my Cleric alt some time in the future anyway.
    Last edited by kultom; 02-14-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Soulwalker

While I agree with Jebu about the roll swaping for instances, if your looking at it from a leveling point of view and being able to be self sustainable then I don't see this being any worse then a Necro/Chloro centric build, just instead of heals your going for crowd controll.

He is right about inside of instances though, you can switch to a more support based roll inside of them so this would mostly be a soloing spec the way I see it.

You could also easily get by with a Necro/Lock combo for the DPS as he suggests, it is fine for solo and if your invited to an instance as just a DPS, if your group needs more support you can always switch to a more support friendly roll.

The key to the necro build when levelling solo is...

1) get soul purge ASAP, its your heal for both you and your pet
    2) get the zealot ASAP, its your DPS
    3) Remember that necrosis makes your pet hits significantly harder so if you are going to drop one DOT on the mob your pet is attacking, make sure its that
    4) Drop a soul rot at the feet of the mobs so it stacks deathly calling, this significantly increases DPS of zealot

As you get higher level you can start to throw in more DOTS/debuffs into your spell cycle but the above 4 points will see a necro right no matter what solo stuff you are doing. Soul purge will keep your pet alive and if you have also picked up aggro it will also keep you alive. This is why warlock sits so nicely with necro as you can get the significant boost to the rate at which you generate charge.

I like to have dominator as the 0 point soul as this also means you can take down elites easy enough (pull pet back, let DOT run down and then transmogrify, gives you 30 seconds to get back on top of the situation). It also means you can take bigger packs of mobs.

Soulwalker

Jebu is correct about the basics of playing a Necro, however I also have seen Necro/Chlor and Necro/Dom builds that only put 5-10 points in Lock that do just as well or better when it comes to survivability, even though DPS is lower.

Just remember while Necro/Lock will probably do the most DPS, it is not the ONLY build for Necro that works well.
    Last edited by Jinse; 02-14-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Would agree with that. Can certainly get nice and creative with necro builds and its actually fun to play as need to do fun rotations. The basic principles apply but then you can layer on top of that as you see fit for your playstyle.

+ Reply to Thread