+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neddra's Torture (Warlock)

Default Neddra's Torture (Warlock)

from what i have read is that DoTs make their calculation on hit instead of per tick (so if the initially spell crits, then all the ticks crit, etc).

so i assume Neddra's Torture will make all Death damage after it is applied deal extra damage, instead of modifying whatever DoT ticks are left when it is applied. and i also assume this means that if the Death damage is still ticking after Neddra's Torture pops at the 20s mark that the 15% damage will still apply because the damage modification occurred at the application of the DoT.

anyone do any testing with this that can confirm?

Plane Touched

As far as I can tell from all the DoTs I have cast as a mage, I believe each tick of the DoT is calculated seperately. I'll name some spells to explain.

Soul Purge / Devouring Shadows - These spells are channeled but sort of act like a DoT while doing so. Here is the catch though: These spells have a base damage they strive to reach, which is why when the first "tick" crits, the rest will crit. Anyone that has played Necromancer or Warlock will have seen this.

Necrosis / Dark Touch - I do not remember seeing either of these spells crit at all. Maybe that is why they "fixed" them, since they simply would never crit.

Corrosion / Wild Growth - These two spells seemed different than the normal DoTs you place on enemies, because everytime I cast them I would see a random "tick" crit during the spell. I have no idea what is causing it, or if it is intentional, but I will do more testing in the final beta.

Now, as for Neddra's Torture, it will automatically "upgrade" all DoTs already on the enemy, so there is no need to recast your DoTs. Whenever I already had DoTs on the enemy I cast torture on, they all went up in damage on their own per tick. As for the last hit being effected by its own damage increase... I assume it would be, since I have seen that final hit go off for some rather high numbers, especially when it crit.

Plane Touched

Interesting. So it makes sense to hit Torture right after a big DoT crit.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerLord View Post
    Interesting. So it makes sense to hit Torture right after a big DoT crit.
    Or cast it on someone you plan to "burst" down.

Plane Touched

Well, the interesting point is that you want to hold off on casting it until after you've cast a successful DoT crit. No other spell lets you boost a crit AFTER it happens, I don't think.

+ Reply to Thread