+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: How is mage healing?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple detowne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    140

    Default How is mage healing?

    I'm thinking of having one skill set be Warlock/necro/and something else not sure what yet and having one of my other skill sets be healing of some sort.

    How viable is mage healing in Rift? Single target? Group healing? Or is it more of "I'll heal you as I do damage sort of thing"?

    I was messing around with the soul trees but I'm still not sure how that will break down in actual game play.

    Thanks for your input and advice!

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    138

    Default

    As it stands a chloro healer is amazing and arguably better than the clerics. However they can be a little tricky to play, there are plenty of guides explaining them in these forums if you browse around a bit.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple detowne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barov View Post
    As it stands a chloro healer is amazing and arguably better than the clerics. However they can be a little tricky to play, there are plenty of guides explaining them in these forums if you browse around a bit.
    Thanks for the info!

  4. #4
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    605

    Default

    The people that don't know how to heal as a Chloromancer will complain about it and tell you that it is terrible.

    I've solo healed every instance up to King's Breach with ease. It's fine, but you do have to have a slightly different mindset than if you were healing as a Cleric.

    Single Target is fantastic, and Group healing is moderate. In essence you DPS to heal.

    Nature's Touch will be your big heal for the most part, whereas Vile Spores will be your small to moderate but main heal. Ruin plus Withering Vine is a pretty hefty HoT and Natural Conversion is a fantastic mitigation tool. Entropic Veil is your Charge dump, both Bloom and Flourish are your 'Oh ****' instant-cast heals (Which are actually extremely useful in certain circumstances; Do not underestimate them). Radiant Spores is, imho, just a passive, added bonus group heal. Soul Tether is also, contrary to popular forum belief, fantastic for what it does. It is a pre-emptive in-combat resurrection spell. Not an on-use type spell; If you have any doubt that the tank, or anyone else for that matter, may drop, whether due to you messing up any form of rotation, the tank being trucked or just being incapable of keeping up with incoming damage, use it pre-emptively and the first to die will have the option of resurrecting. Personally I found it AMAZING on Auchon's pull.

    You will be overhealing a lot. However, you are also an extremely mana-efficient class. Yes, that seems like it's in direct contrast to one another, but it really isn't; If you're DPS'ing to heal, you are putting out a constant stream of damage and healing in the process. That means that, unless the target is dead, you are always doing something, whether it be helping bring down the target or maintaining a topped off tank. If you stop DPS'ing for any reason, you're not playing properly. I actually found the class similar in mindset to that of an overly wary DPS that has the capability to save the entire group if something goes awry.

    Will it be viable for main healing raids? I have no idea. Possibly. Possibly not. It definitely has the potential to do so. But I have yet to experience an end-game raid, and am not a reliable source of information on that subject. One thing I have found people to be worried about is having a heal resisted. If you are playing the Mage class properly, however, and stacking Spell Focus to whatever the cap may be, just as every other spec of the Mage will be doing, you won't have anything resisted. So I find this to be a moot point.

    My full support spec looks something like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...zRz.xdIuoVckRR

    TL;DR: Don't listen to forums on Chloromancer capability. They are fine if played correctly, but you need to find that out on your own.

  5. #5
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Group/Rift/invasion healing on Chloro is excellent - people often forget Radiant Spores when doing an analysis, which can do a lot of healing. When you add that on top of the group/Rift heals from the Chloro (both through DPS and direct)... then it's a very powerful raid healer in particular. Radiant Spores heals without range restrictions, any number of players, with tiny mana costs, across many mobs (specced) for quite large amounts. Most Chloro AoEs heal 8-10 players too at high range (20-35m), as opposed to the much more common 5 players within 15-20m range.

    I think that Chloros' mult-target healing tends to shine when there's more than one group involved. Cleric AoE healing tends to shine more at 5 man level.

    We shouldn't forget Necro, which has some nice spot healing available and a couple of nice debuffs. Not a full healer by any means, but has some handy tools for helping a healer out here and there.

    X

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple detowne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Thank you both for the input!

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Chloromancer heals well in controlled circumstances. But certain mechanics can royally screw a chloromancer. Spell resists, constant movement (gauntlets), mobs going immune periodically and low hitpoint mobs are all bad for the chloro healer.

  8. #8
    General of Telara Sarathor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trutanen View Post
    Chloromancer heals well in controlled circumstances. But certain mechanics can royally screw a chloromancer. Spell resists, constant movement (gauntlets), mobs going immune periodically and low hitpoint mobs are all bad for the chloro healer.
    Exactly, this is why we need to have a talent, much like the Stormcaller's Cold Weather Training, that increases our focus on life based spells be a certain %. If Trion's goal for Chloromancers is raid healing, then it looks like we'll need to take spell focus. If Chloromancers need spell focus, then that takes away from other stats like intellect and/or wisdom.

    Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

  9. #9
    Zac
    Zac is offline
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarathor View Post
    Exactly, this is why we need to have a talent, much like the Stormcaller's Cold Weather Training, that increases our focus on life based spells be a certain %. If Trion's goal for Chloromancers is raid healing, then it looks like we'll need to take spell focus. If Chloromancers need spell focus, then that takes away from other stats like intellect and/or wisdom.
    Nature's Rage
    Instant
    xx Mana
    xx Cooldown
    For the next x seconds/x spells, all your lifedmg bypasses the defenses of your target.

    Now it works in pvp too, and this for shortterm lifedmg immunities:

    Nature's Conversion
    Instant
    xx Mana
    xx Cooldown
    Let's your Lifegiving Veil work with any kind of dmg for the next x seconds/x spells.

    (and remove the stupid 5% other dmg on lg-veil, for balance and less 'Your lg-veil heals xy for 1.' lines, which is bad ui-lag and probably server stress too)

  10. #10
    Telaran Pylo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Lolpvehealing

    In pvp chloros heal fine. We have some of the best instant cast heals in the game. As a chloro necro I can go an entire match without casting a dmg skill and still be on the top of the healing chart. When dmg mitigation comes into play, it will make are already big heals even bigger.

  11. #11
    General of Telara Sarathor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    Nature's Rage
    Instant
    xx Mana
    xx Cooldown
    For the next x seconds/x spells, all your lifedmg bypasses the defenses of your target.

    Now it works in pvp too, and this for shortterm lifedmg immunities:

    Nature's Conversion
    Instant
    xx Mana
    xx Cooldown
    Let's your Lifegiving Veil work with any kind of dmg for the next x seconds/x spells.

    (and remove the stupid 5% other dmg on lg-veil, for balance and less 'Your lg-veil heals xy for 1.' lines, which is bad ui-lag and probably server stress too)
    Even though healing is fine, and is completely doable with PvE and PvP, I feel that the 5% healing from other spells needs to be removed or buffed altogether.

    With the say LGV works, it makes all other spells from other trees worthless, and that's including life based DoTs. Looking over the talent trees other other souls, the only reason why a chloromancer would put points into another tree is for the passive effects. They will never use other damage spells from other trees because of that sad 5% heal. Because of this, the Chloromancer tree doesn't synergize well if it's taken only for a few healing spells and LGV.

    Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

  12. #12
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarathor View Post
    With the say LGV works, it makes all other spells from other trees worthless, and that's including life based DoTs. Looking over the talent trees other other souls, the only reason why a chloromancer would put points into another tree is for the passive effects. They will never use other damage spells from other trees because of that sad 5% heal. Because of this, the Chloromancer tree doesn't synergize well if it's taken only for a few healing spells and LGV.
    This is the same problem I see when I read a lot of threads about chloro and justicar skills.
    People say "the ability to use our damaging spells is great but the damage is low, why they dont let us use spells from xxx soul to get more damage?" - problem is that if the chloro/justicar skills does less damage than other souls is EXACTLY because they have the added bonus of being able to heal.
    Those abilities trade part of their damage for the healing.
    if you were able to use the high damaging skills from other souls and just add to them the healing ability, were would be the tradeoff?

  13. #13
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pylo View Post
    Lolpvehealing

    As a chloro necro I can go an entire match without casting a dmg skill and still be on the top of the healing chart. When dmg mitigation comes into play, it will make are already big heals even bigger.
    so you stand there spamming Spores and the 2 insta heals with 10 and 20 sec cooldown only ?

    I think you missed something thats core to the Chloromancer....

    Check toolips of Lifegiving Veil, Synthesis and Nature's touch when you got some spare time and you could be amazed...

  14. #14
    Telaran Pylo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lihar View Post
    so you stand there spamming Spores and the 2 insta heals with 10 and 20 sec cooldown only ?

    I think you missed something thats core to the Chloromancer....

    Check toolips of Lifegiving Veil, Synthesis and Nature's touch when you got some spare time and you could be amazed...
    I run necro has a second and with lift shift at 35 it was healing for 900 out of most peoples 3k health pools on a 2s cast no cd. Save bloom flourish and essence surge for when the opponent team is bursting down a target hard, spamming dispells, and saving wild abandon for when a teammate needs to kite away from focus fire. With resists to spells and at 50 damage mitigation, the only attack worth the heal is natures touch.


    You should really go back to pveing. You must have missed somethings that's core to pvp.
    Last edited by Pylo; 02-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts