+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noob question of the night!

Default Noob question of the night!

my first beta will be open beta.

Does it matter what we choose as our 1st, 2nd and 3rd souls? Do we have a benefit from making one or first choice? I've really enjoyed playing the warlock/necromancer class in other games and will most likely be playing one in Rift.

So will it matter if i go warlock/necro/whatever, or necro/warlock/whatever??

Thanks for the help and I look forward to playing Rift!

Rift Disciple

The only relevance is your first couple points you will only have 1 tree to put them into. But you can always just hold the points till you get the other trees.

Quote Originally Posted by detowne View Post

Does it matter what we choose as our 1st, 2nd and 3rd souls? Do we have a benefit from making one or first choice? I've really enjoyed playing the warlock/necromancer class in other games and will most likely be playing one in Rift.

It doesn't really matter in what order you pick them as you get all 3 relatively early in the game (before you exit the starting area). You get the first two early on and the third one near the end of the starting zone.

In terms of points, it doesn't matter either. I can pick Warlock as my first soul, attain Necro as my second soul (not long after that), and then put points into the Necro if I decide I don't want points in Warlock even though I picked Warlock first.
    It will always baffle me that people would object to quality of life improvements and just blame it on being lazy.

Shadowlander

Default not really no

It really won't matter, just make sure that you pick the 3 you think you want most during the tutorial.
    Not that you won't be able to pick up the remaining 5, but because you'll have to wait a little while before
    doing the quests for the them (lvl 13) and you have to do them one at a time. While this isn't terribly difficult,
    it is kind of a pain in the ***

Sunder is in Open Recruitment and accepting all Archetypes/Roles - Visit www.sunder-guild.com

Thanks all for your help. I really appreciate it!

Plane Touched

For the first soul, something like Warlock is nice because you can instantly get a benefit from points in the cast reduction on void bolt. Plus, taking something that hits hard at range is faster in the first few levels than a class that has to wait for a pet to engage. Post level 6 or so, the pet makes things much easier, but on the first few levels, hitting hard from long range helps the most.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerLord View Post
    For the first soul, something like Warlock is nice because you can instantly get a benefit from points in the cast reduction on void bolt. Plus, taking something that hits hard at range is faster in the first few levels than a class that has to wait for a pet to engage. Post level 6 or so, the pet makes things much easier, but on the first few levels, hitting hard from long range helps the most.
    Kewl thanks a lot!

L A
    Rift Disciple

i'm pretty sure you can change souls later on can't you? just pay the fee and you can change souls and reorganise points right?

Plane Walker

yeah L A.

by the end of the tutorial for the game, you'll be level 8 and have gotten your first three classes. you can allocate your points hwoever you want to, and it doesnt really matter the order in which you get them.

Once you get into the world, and you go to the capital city, you can either:

1. respec for a small fee
    2. purchase an additional "soul" which lets you have another pre-set combination of talent points adn different classes.

for example, you could have your necro/warlock be one soul, and then you could purchase antoher soul, and then do chloromancer/archon. You can switch between those two souls whenever you are out of combat, with a 2 second cast, and no CD.

so basically, theres a ton of flexibility and even fi you choose a class at the beginning that you dont really like, it's no big deal

Plane Touched

To be clear, they're actually "Roles", not "Souls". Each player can have 3 Souls at a time, and up to 4 combinations of 3 Souls saved as preset Roles. You can switch between Roles with the push of a button when you're not in combat, but all of your effects from your previous Souls go away.

stumbled on this thread and it answered some questions I had floating round in the back of my mind. I like the idea that I can have another whole set of souls that we can change out when needed, as long as were not in combat. Thanks for the information

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by brokenronin View Post
    It really won't matter, just make sure that you pick the 3 you think you want most during the tutorial.
    Not that you won't be able to pick up the remaining 5, but because you'll have to wait a little while before
    doing the quests for the them (lvl 13) and you have to do them one at a time. While this isn't terribly difficult,
    it is kind of a pain in the ***
    Where do you get the quests? I finally made it to the city, but that thing is huge.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MrElectro View Post
    Where do you get the quests? I finally made it to the city, but that thing is huge.
    The quests are from the individual NPC of each class, and you need a quest item drop from Rifts. But if you're on guardian side than the mages are in Quicksilver College not Sanctum (but all other callings are in Sanctum).

Quote Originally Posted by detowne View Post

My advice is play around with it at first and see what souls you like and fits your play style best, respects are cheap, and soul changing is available...the common warlock/mage concept isn't the same as in other games...also try to match the souls with good combos that will compliment each other, and i found that specializing in 2 souls that compliment each other is far more powerful than having all three souls with equal points...anyone can show you builds all day but you'll have more fun learning it for yourself. just some pointers GL and see you in game
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, "The Art Of War"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Alotta Mayhem View Post
    My advice is play around with it at first and see what souls you like and fits your play style best, respects are cheap, and soul changing is available...the common warlock/mage concept isn't the same as in other games...also try to match the souls with good combos that will compliment each other, and i found that specializing in 2 souls that compliment each other is far more powerful than having all three souls with equal points...anyone can show you builds all day but you'll have more fun learning it for yourself. just some pointers GL and see you in game
    Good advice.

The kool thing is, when you first play this game, the tutorial is really fun. So mess around with it the first day or two, trying different souls, or classes. No matter what game I play, I always want to be a caster, so a Mage was a given for me. It doesn't take that long to get to level 6, so if you don't like the gameplay, or even if you do, and think you might like something else, start another char and try it.

Have fun with it. It is an awesome game.

Oh, and one newb tip I have, it took me till day 3 of the last beta to figure out, because both me and my daughter are in the game, so we are always grouped. When you enter a rift, leave your group, and then join the public group. You will get more item drops from the "automatic raid" of the rift.

I kept wondering why my daughter never got any stuff dropping from the rifts, and it was because we were grouped.

Once I figured that out (by playing after she had bed time) we both got more stuff during the rifts.
    Last edited by MrElectro; 02-14-2011 at 12:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast