+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why can't we move while we cast?

Default Why can't we move while we cast?

A nice buff to the mage class in general that other classes wouldn't benefit as much from would be the ability to move while casting. Why shouldn't we be able to run around while casting a 4.8 second cinder burst? This would make such a difference, while actually, not really allowing us to output that much more damage. Just saw it in guild wars 2, i think it makes good sense.

Their reasoning for our dps being less than warriors etc, is apparently we pay for the range benefits of our class. Then let us stay at a range and be able to move while casting!

Plane Touched
    Last edited by Shmuck; 02-13-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Telaran

Works for me. Just add 25 range to melee.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Autocrat View Post
    Works for me. Just add 25 range to melee.
    You should be able to move very slwoly like in Vanguard. That was a very cool feature.

I am having a moment of deja vu.... I could have sworn I commented in a thread with this almost exact title... and even the same guild wars reference
    Defiant:Not just a faction... but a Lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Korntastic View Post
    does this mean my que is going to restart? im in 137 position. if it does im going to slam my fist through the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Animalmom View Post
    You should be able to move very slwoly like in Vanguard. That was a very cool feature.
    ~~
    Was it your movement speed was reduced by like 50-75% while casting or something like that? I liked that too.
    ~~

If it were like all the movies and TV shows..the mage holds the maximum damage..we are supposed to be like a damage totem so to speak..that needs protecting by the tank classes. We shouldn't have to move.

But then reality sets in and we are constantly running here or there..people are gauging distances and running out of range before we cast and we are forced to get close enough to hit the target but not close enough to draw attention and be dragged into the combat.

I would guess the better your team is..and the tighter your groups game play the less you probably would have to move. But in the current state of the game(mages and MMOs in general) we need to be more mobile because there seems to be an "each man for himself" mentality that prevails.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

Champion of Telara

This would be a nice addition, as stopping completely to cast, i've felt always breaks the "fluidity" to combat.(or random slaughtering of low level mobs).

It would have little to no effect on actual balance, as a snared or "slowed" mage will be reduced to nothing(assuming said snare is a slowing effect), which would keep them from following you and casting spells.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

Rift Chaser

Yes vanguard had this feature....you were slowed to a walk while casting. While this was nice there was a better benefit. It removed the "cant move while casting" issue for example ...you are running along and want to cast a spell ...you have to come to a complete stop before starting to cast. If you lag at all the game still registers you as still in motion and you cant cast.
    Having the ability to move while casting removes this issue.
    It really helped in Vanguard. The movement was very slow ...so not game imbalancing. Someone in walk mode could catch you.

Rift Disciple

Standing still while casting a spell at range is a tactical decision. As it should be to remain varied. On the other hand rogues and warriors have a wide variety of ranged nukes (yes yes I know they are not named nukes) that are instant casts.

I would like to see more of those ranged spells (and skills) have a cast time, so that all warriors and archer type rogues wouldn't be instant turrets who charge around spamming spells at range. Why should the warrior be able to do 200 damage with a zap when the wizard has to cast for 2 seconds ?

Shadowlander

Hmmm i'd say either remove the cast time from mage skills(or let us move while doing so) or add cast times to rogue/warior range skills
    I mean why should a heavy plate wearing warior be able to run behind me and hit me with some range spells with even no cd timer on it(and some spells even du higher damage then mage ones) or why can a MM move arround while he fires off a skill where in description it says the skill is chaneled????

Now I see some1 saying: ''yeah right and then a pyro/lock could spam fire ball/void blot''
    I would respons with simple exactly we are suppose to be ''GLASS CANONS'' but guees what once u get us in melle we are that ''GLASS'' that can brake prety quick

P.S. soory dident read the whole post down and thuus now seeing some1 before me already said somfin similar /facepalm on self
    Last edited by Celestisleo; 02-14-2011 at 03:02 AM.

Make all ranged nukes instant cast with a reasonable cooldown and I'm happy.
    Last edited by Dominar; 02-14-2011 at 04:10 AM.

I support this as a feature for a specific class

but not as a general feature
    It's not a damage meters fault you can't hit a certain dps and others similar to you can, it's the fault of your bad gear, bad spec, or bad rotation. So stop getting mad at the meters and invest some time into not being bad.

DPS Mathcraft - How damage works
    DPS Mathcraft - STR vs DEX
    DPS Mathcraft - Armor
    Warrior DPS Calculator *UPDATED* v0.2
    Paragon Rebalancing Suggestion

Zac
    Plane Touched

Considering how fast a melee can get to a mage (charge teleport pull often 20m range) and what we have (knockback, flicker 15m range) ... and the many shortterm immunity and snare breakers ... i really would like to see some moving while casting spells

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    I support this as a feature for a specific class

but not as a general feature
    Rogues (Marksman, Saboteur, Ranger)
    and Warriors (Riftblade)
    can ALREADY run and spam their attacks that BUILD attack/combo points without standing still for casting time.

Why do we have to stand still? I reckon our characters can mumble a spell or concentrate while running at the same time. Also, it would make roots, and immobilizations REALLY worth it. Also, it would add so much more to the many mage spells that increase our movement speed like Tailwind etc. We're already squishy, it's not cool that to cast a spell, i've to stand still while the warrior can run around just spamming Fire Spears etc.

Besides, you'll realize that, standing still is POINTLESS. It adds ZERO 'good' to the game, and a whole lot of bad for us squishy mages. At least give us the option of trying to run while casting a spell at the same time, instead of having to stop dpsing just cos we've a warrior/rogue on us.

I do believe SOME spells should be limited to no movement, but other spells should be on the fly.

The BEST thing is, even if we ran around in a raid, our damage would go up by ZERO%. As in, this wouldn't increase our dps. It would do the exact same damage as us standing still. So i don't see why any other class should complain about it. They already can charge and aoe root us. Why not make their life a little more difficult by allowing us to run for it? It would add such value to slowing and root skills which all the other classes have plenty of.

Lets hope they at least consider it, cos as things stand, mages ARE the weakest class in pvp, and it's not cool that skill can't save us from alot of average warriors and rogues. If you haven't felt this way, then you're an AMAZING player, and i'm so GRATEFUL you're a mage!!! THANK YOU!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast