+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would Like Stormcaller Insight =]

Default Would Like Stormcaller Insight =]

There are quite a few posts about Stormcaller in the last 3 pages (sorry, I didn't look past that ), but everyone ends the discussion by saying, Wait til the 15th before making builds. Because, apparently, the new patch has Stormcallers changed "significantly" and there's really no point making decisions yet.

I haven't looked up these changes; I'm not a huge fan of leaked notes.

But I would like to know - to anyone who has been in the alpha, or who otherwise knows what's going on - what the extent of the changes are...? Are they heavily PvE or PvP based? Is it a general nerf or buff? Or... what's going on?

I do not want to know what the changes are specifically, for fear of getting yelled at. I just want to know whether or not it's worth investing my time to figure something out now, or to wait for official notes on Tuesday.

I'm planning on rerolling a mage this upcoming beta and really wanted to make a Stormcaller. It's annoying that I can't plan anything out until Tuesday. I was interested in finding builds, but don't know how huge the extent of the changes are, so I guess all I can do right now is plan out the 3 souls.

Maybe someone could help me out with that.
    What's better for PvE solo involving Stormcaller being main soul? I'm interested in these:

Stormcaller -> Ele/Chloro (Ele just for pet; chloro for funsies; I had never played chloro before either)
    Stormcaller -> Necro/Chloro (same as above, only this time necro pet instead)
    Stormcaller -> Ele/Lock (Ele for pet; lock for SP buffs and mana sacrifice and etc.)
    Stormcaller -> Chloro/Lock (would that work?)

I'm pretty awful at making builds and figuring out how souls work with each other. I generally just leach off the forums for information. But unfortunately, stormcaller posts are being /shunned =[

Any help would be greatly appreciated ^^ please.

My advice? Don't plan on going Stormcaller as your main soul until you log in on the 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewDog View Post
    My advice? Don't plan on going Stormcaller as your main soul until you log in on the 15th.
    Lol! Aw. Denied. =[

Soulwalker

I will be lvling as stormcaller/ele +0 point chloro when soloing, in groups stormcaller/ele +0 point dominator for squirrel. At 50 i would be stormcaller/ele + dominator up to and including the +10% int talent for a little bit extra SP/MP to start off with and once i have good enough gear change dominator and replace it with archon up to and including the talent that refunds mana back when you crit.

Rift Disciple

Try this PvP build. Might be viable for PvE too.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....V0xtbuss.VhMx

The Storm Caller needs some Tweaking but still relevant.

Dominator give's excellent Crowd Control, and when you Transmogrify (Squirrel) or Confuse them with Overpowering Will.
    Your Next spell used on the enemy player will have it's damaged increase by 50% and afterwards your spell cast speed is also increased by 50%.

The build also takes the base 150%+ added damage for a crit and a adds an extra +60% making it 210%.
    So basically your spells will crit for double their normal "non-crit" damage.

Could this be viable for PvE? I Think so.

If your questing you can Transmogrify a target then burst him down very quickly. It also provides you with a Pet for Tanking.
    For dungeons and raids, they're always going to need a player who can properly Crowd Control.
    Which this build can provide and the beauty of it is that not only are you helping your group by Crowd Controlling your also getting quite the buff for your damage.
    It also gives you the Air elemental which can dps as well and pretty much acts like a DoT.
    Last edited by xineo; 02-13-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Awesome thanks guys! It's good to know the notion of being a Stormcaller isn't completely dead before beta starts again ^_^

Champion

Well i will be blunt with you. Mostly because you are swimming in a sea of less than medicore mages who want to think something is wrong or going to get worse with the stormcaller. Is stormcaller great for just casual play? Or is the baseline balanced? No, it is alittle rough. However you can carry the soul to a very good height with working what it has to offer.

These is a b5 parse, pre-nerf.
    http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...-Boss-DPS2.jpg

This is a b6 parse, post-nerf.
    http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...BreachDPS4.jpg

Also note, on the first the lesser air pet was pre-nerf on it's dmg, it was facing lvl 30 mobs as a lvl 30 pet. I lost all of that in the b6 king;s breach, where not only did they nerf it's dmg, but also it wa a lvl 30 vs 35 mobs. It's average hits can be seen on both. On the first, both of those were single target, including the final boss cause I did not burn adds till end, but then they were mostly dead.

The second parse also is hunter = had 2 elite adds, and they had low hp. The Ravalos boss fight is a pure single target fight. Notice my dps did not change that much. This includes both a nerf to my air pet and cloudburst. BOTH of those parses, b5 and b6, had the same bard buffing. So it is comparable.

The basic fundamentals of stormcaller is to have 3 stacks of electrify on the targets you wish to deal good dmg to. If you apply ice shear with 1 stack of electrify, and add another, I have found it is not retrospective. You want to have 3 stacks before you land ice shear.

Once the next patch lands, and if the changes "that we cannot speak of" do make it into b7, it will be a damage increase, and an easy one at that. Not only do hypothermia spells have a longer cast time, and as such gain more damage bonus from spell power, but there are other major factors.

I say, do not listen to the people who say the soul was nerfed. Some spells were, but they were easily rotated out and replaced without hurting the job that the stormcaller is supposed to have.

I also run a main elementalist with the rest in stormcaller to solo. Have been doing that since level 1. Nothing I find in the overworld cannot be soloed, outside of named raid invasions.

Play what is most fun for you. However if you think stormcaller is fun, and you do want to be competative, then go ahead and plan for the 15th now.
    Last edited by kuggy; 02-13-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kuggy View Post
    Well i will be blunt with you. Mostly because you are swimming in a sea of less than medicore mages who want to think something is wrong or going to get worse with the stormcaller. Is stormcaller great for just casual play? Or is the baseline balanced? No, it is alittle rough. However you can carry the soul to a very good height with working what it has to offer.
    Where in the world did you get this parser?
    Last edited by xineo; 02-13-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by xineo View Post
    Where in the world did you get this parser?
    bah you quoted something that can look way out of context!

That is ACT, the eq2 parser. It just reads the /combatlog.txt file located in your directory. I got it from eq2flames, use cerub's plugin, and have been for some time. I do not use it in game, while it can be somewhat with ui overlay, I only need it to check things after i am done running instances.

Btw.. so anyone who figured I am trying to insult everyone who has trouble with stormcaller.. negative. I don't mind conjecture. I just have a issue as of late with people just saying "hey this souls sucks!".

Soulwalker

The only "leaked" patch notes I can find don't even mention Stormcaller.

http://thepriorart.wordpress.com/201...l-patch-notes/

Is there another set I should be looking at?

Plane Touched

STORMCALLER
    * Removed Recharge and Improved Recharge.
    * New Ability Building Storm: Increases the critical hit damage bonus of Hypothermia-causing spells by 50%. Each damaging spell cast by the Stormcaller applies a stacking debuff on the enemy for 10 seconds, increasing the chance for the next Hypothermia-causing spell to critically hit by 10% per stack.
    * New Branch Ability Favorable Conditions: Each stack of Building Storm increases the critical strike chance of Hypothermia-causing spells by an additional 5-10% per stack. Tier 3 branch ability, requires Building Storm in order to purchase.
    * Eye of the Storm: Reduced damage.

Quote Originally Posted by moJoe View Post
    The only "leaked" patch notes I can find don't even mention Stormcaller.

http://thepriorart.wordpress.com/201...l-patch-notes/

Is there another set I should be looking at?
    go to the source of that post(its at the end) and look around there.

EDIT: or yeah, just post it here lol
    Last edited by MightyK; 02-13-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Oooh. I see. So the big difference is now we're going to be wanting to use water/ice spells a lot more. If I understand correctly - I have never played SC before and never did much research about them in previous betas.

If that's the case, is it still viable to couple SC with Ele? What's another good soul to partner it with? For PvE/solo play. I would use Ele for the tanking pet anyway, but I thought I'd go up the tree too for the air elementals and the general buffage - and have chloro or dom on the side at 0. But maybe there's a better soul?

I wonder if the crit modifier for the water spells will add on the crit modifier from the elementalist tree.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
    Oooh. I see. So the big difference is now we're going to be wanting to use water/ice spells a lot more. If I understand correctly - I have never played SC before and never did much research about them in previous betas.

If that's the case, is it still viable to couple SC with Ele? What's another good soul to partner it with? For PvE/solo play. I would use Ele for the tanking pet anyway, but I thought I'd go up the tree too for the air elementals and the general buffage - and have chloro or dom on the side at 0. But maybe there's a better soul?
    Due to stormcaller being DD, Ele is great with it for at least 15 points for up to tempest. Beyond that, it is still up in the air by which is best to handle the situation. Greater air elemental gives almost 50 int worth of spell power right now. You don't get the benefit of crit rating since it is +spell power buff, but then again if your crit buffs from talents/coefficients is going to be so high, crit rating might lose some value.

I run a 32/15 by default, stormcaller/ele. The rest.. is up to how you want to adapt it. Some archon is nice. Maybe add in some dots from warlock? You'd have enough, mind you, to put get the lock's improved dot dmg. Couples with good crit, good spell damage, it could work nicely as a filler. Damage is damage, but it is how you want to work it.

But also yes, you will be wanting to cast more "hypothermia" based water spells, which cloudburst is not. In essence, cloudburst is becoming what it should be. A instant on the move cast when you gotta be mobile. You lose dps, but you do not lose all of it. Lightning field is superior in damage even as a single target spell, since it is a single/aoe based on who is electrified. I.E. If you electrify only the enemy who is not CC'ed, and out of 5, 4 are CC'ed and one is not, you can allow lightning field only to strike that one mob. However, it is double the mana cost, and it needs electrify to do "any" dmg.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast