+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage Spec evaluation

Default Mage Spec evaluation

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zzqI.V0xoM.Vx0z.tc0I0ucuks">Archon (13) / Elemental Summoner (11) / Pyromancer (32)</a>
    <a href="http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?
    Was playing around in the mage tree and came up with this, it seems to fit my playstyle. I was going on just maxing damage and not worrying about things like survivability or cc, anything like that. If someone can take a look at it and tell me how good it is it would be much appreciated, and dont be afraid to tell me it flat out sucks. thanks in advance,

hudson

edit: also i only worked with it up to 42 because its the spec i plan on using in the beta which has a lvl cap of 42
    Last edited by Hudson2920; 02-13-2011 at 10:23 AM.

hey bud.. here's a clickable link instead:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...romancer%20(32)

Also, what do you plan on doing with this build? What order are you taking your talents?

you plan on just having your Elem pet doing your tanking eh?

As far as i can tell, you don't have any heals for yourself nor your pet.. that could be a problem. You have 1 CC ..that lasts 12 seconds.. and without Flicker, you don't seem to have a quick "getaway" card to play either.

You also have 3 armors, but only 1 can be used at a time, which one you plan on using?

You have more points in Pyro.. your seemingly damage spec.. but you don't have Smoldering Power nor Burning Bonds? But you have Altruist in Archon for reduced mana usage.. You do know that Mages have a long cast time for the most part and that Burning Bonds -maxed out- helps a lot with getting damage done to people, or just snaring them in general.. useful for PvP and PvE the same.

Okay honestly, this spec is terrible and makes no sense.

Here's a better idea, tell us what you want to do, and we'll help you build something good.
    Last edited by Xodiak; 02-13-2011 at 10:40 AM.

ok first i want to say i am a noob at mages and mana users in general, in all previous mmos i have soley played melee classes that didnt have any mana.

But to answer the question i realy liked the idea of a pyro mage and wanted to make a spec that went straight for the damage. I dont know about this game but in others i have played iv been able to keep myself alive without self heals and cc and such, but then again iv never played a mage.

What i was looking for was maxing out damage without sacrificing it for cc or anything else.

Okay.. you had the right idea with a Pyro + Archon..the fire damage stuff works together, you did good there.
    You still however, didn't say what your primary focus was going to be with this build.. PvE (quests) or PvP? Rifts? Dungeons?

I'll whip up something when I have a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish -primarily.

Are you even in the current beta, as in, have a character there already that you plan to respec into this pyro build, or is this a fresh start mage?
    If this is a fresh start for you across the board, and you've never had a mage in this game or in any MMO in general, I HIGHLY recommend making certain you
    not only have a tanking pet, but some pet heals and a root/CC of some sort.
    I found that after running as a necro/lock/chloro .. i had a better understanding of how my souls worked, got better ideas on the rotation, and then was able to test out more mage specs that didn't necessarily have a true tank pet.. but by then, I understood the mage calling better.
    Last edited by Xodiak; 02-13-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Mainly it was ment to be a lvling spec with a side of rifts when they happend to pop up near me. Didnt realy plan on seeking them out specificaly.

I freely admit to not knowing how good the Pyro "Burning Bright" talent is.. so I didn't touch it --i'd imagine as i went to 50 with this spec, I'd probably dump points into it though.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zIqR.xftcz0sz.Vxxt.xzc">Pyromancer (25) / Elemental Summoner (21) / Chloromancer (9)

you can heal your pet a variety of ways, and boost your DPS while doing so, you can root with burning bonds, root with encase..
    instant summon a variety of elementals for the situation at hand.. have a tanking pet or pure DPS pet.. and heal yourself as need be.

This is off the cuff, but I think I covered the right bases.. are there better talents to pick, probably, but I don't see any glaring problems with my first whack here.

If Pyromancers armor procs for your instant Cinder, and you've cursed your target with Exposure.. that is a fun crit to watch happen if it does
    Last edited by Xodiak; 02-13-2011 at 11:24 AM.

For a 50 point build I prefer either this

1. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...t.eftIzusuto.V <if you don't have someone else with spec 2

or this

2. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...z.eftczusuto.M
    Last edited by Vincennes; 02-13-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    "Give a man a fire and he stays warm for an hour. Light a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life"

Hi Hudson, how does this build work for you?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0xI0ucuzo.Vp0L

20 Warlock/32 Pyro/14 Elemental Summoner

First off, the fire tree is very mana hungry, with long-ish cast times and very little protective power. Also, there's no real GOOD use for the CHARGES you build up. (though at 32, u do get one pretty okay one) Your hardest hitting spell is Cinder with a huge cast time, and it's usually a spam of fireballs. The GROUND effects are very nice, and i encourage u to place one at a location u can fight 2-3 enemies consecutively, so it goes to good use.

When you level up, get Pyro, Elemental then Warlock (not really important cos u do get all 3 in no time)
    The key to lvling well, is no downtime. Well, if u're damaged, you'll have downtime. That's where the elemental comes in, he'll tank for you, taking all damage that u usually would take and it's basically going to drastically reduce your downtime.

Warlock tree. Why? For all the mana you could want, for a charge skill you actually NEED, which is for HEALING yourself with reconstruct, 10% chance of instant cast CINDER with opportunity, Mortality, Fear and Wither for situational CCs, even out your hp (burning bright talent points in Pyro reduce ur max hp by 9%, so u're raising it back +10%hp) and finally, for 5% to crit as well as endurance buffs.

Why elemental? Cos you need a pet. Are you seriously going to disagree? We're talking about FAST lvling. What kind of petless leveling do you have that doesn't cause u to take damage and you can still heal at the same time AND maintain full mana. If you can do all that without a pet, then you're obviously killing with a chloromancer at a snail pace. (seriously, without a pet, it's hell, u have to keep healing urself, which just costs more mana and downtime)

Elemental also gives you a nice shield. Notice how many +% to crits you have? thus, you also get to make ur crits do 190% damage instead of 150%. Encase also gives you another CC.

Now, you can CHANGE away from this tree later IF you want, but for leveling, always make sure you have an elemental or skele as a pet. It's a no brainer.

Leveling up, always keep pyro at max points, and start putting in points into warlock. But around lvl 15, i tend to make sure I go straight for 8 points in warlock. Reason being? Sacrifice Life-> mana means you'll ALWAYS have mana, no downtime. This however takes up ur hp. Then u use reconstruct after battles to always ensure ur life and mana are high. Your pyro will be maxed out (8/24/0) at lvl 24 again. AFTER that, I'd suggest either pushing on down the warlock tree, or going for the damage shield in the elemental tree if you feel you need more survivability.

After 24, you'll have Pyromancer's Armor by then, so i'd suggest just completing the 32 points down the tree. Mortality is also a great skill to aim for after that, it's on a one minute CD though.

Good luck with your mage!

I will add that my beta main is a necro/lock/chloro .. and I hardly every have any down time at all, my pets stay alive, i stay alive, mana and health regen, I DPS well.. and I can do AOE dmg and healing --which is great for Rifts.

so when these guys suggest one of those being put in (necro/lock).. there is good reason behind it.. it works for me anyhow

thanks for all the help guys! ill defenitaly be trying out the specs you suggested come tuesday as well as playing around a little on my own. But from what iv seen i still have alot to learn about mages lol >.< thanks again,

Hudson

+ Reply to Thread