+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Void Knights

Plane Touched

Default Void Knights

Ok, since I apparently have a hard time making people see the actual OPness of this class. Not just against mages, but against rogues and warriors too. I thought I would ask here. In beta 6, what were your experiences vs this class? I know we are supposed to be killed by this class, since they're our anti class. But atm, they can laugh at our damage tickling them, and then go and pwn some assassin if they felt like it (this is just an example, don't take it like I believe the best course of action is to jump onto the VK with all guns blazing and everything).

Fire away.

Plane Walker

death incarnate

You dont have all your tools in beta 6, however depending on your spec, you could still have the tools to kill them.

I'll speak from necro point of view, since thats what I was, and my experiences with VK.

Unless VK had paragon and hit me with a crit strike like iron + discharge combo, I could usually kill them.

I could get looming demise, necrosis, and essence link on them before I ran out of mana. Then hit them with Death's Grasp. Kite like a mofo. Soon as the mana drain hit me I would just tap my pet or life (warlock offspec) when I noticed the AoE mana drain gone. using consumption also ate their buffs (including pacts I believe) and gave me mana back.

Most important thing when fighting a VK is not to panic and remember your skills. IF you start screaming @%#%^ MY MANA OMG WHAT DO I DO?! You're probably just going to die.

Use those stuns, snares, roots, reactives, and most importantly, mana regain abilites. do NOT use the mana regain abilities until you SEE the AOE -gone-. or it'll just drain it right back off.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Chilton View Post
    You dont have all your tools in beta 6, however depending on your spec, you could still have the tools to kill them.

I'll speak from necro point of view, since thats what I was, and my experiences with VK.

Unless VK had paragon and hit me with a crit strike like iron + discharge combo, I could usually kill them.

I could get looming demise, necrosis, and essence link on them before I ran out of mana. Then hit them with Death's Grasp. Kite like a mofo. Soon as the mana drain hit me I would just tap my pet or life (warlock offspec) when I noticed the AoE mana drain gone. using consumption also ate their buffs (including pacts I believe) and gave me mana back.

Most important thing when fighting a VK is not to panic and remember your skills. IF you start screaming @%#%^ MY MANA OMG WHAT DO I DO?! You're probably just going to die.

Use those stuns, snares, roots, reactives, and most importantly, mana regain abilites. do NOT use the mana regain abilities until you SEE the AOE -gone-. or it'll just drain it right back off.

Uhm, yeah, I never had that problem. See, the problem was. The VK didn't bother with mana draining, he just discharged me, and that was enough :P Seems like theyre fixing some bugs to prevent the insane amount of damage that discharge could do for beta 7. So im hoping that will be a bit more balanced.

Zac
    Plane Touched

my best advice would be, don't have brain-farts, i hit more the once some buttons and not what I intended, happened ... quickly switching between roles and soul combinations can be confusing.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    my best advice would be, don't have brain-farts, i hit more the once some buttons and not what I intended, happened ... quickly switching between roles and soul combinations can be confusing.
    True dat haha. I have lined up the souls I wanna test out next beta: Dominator, Stormcaller, Warlock, Necro. Also some different builds for each ofcourse, but ill be testing those out mainly.

Shadowlander

I just got essence link and looming demise up first, and necrosis and dark touch on him. I reclaimed power and refreshed dots and got grave rot down as much as possible and soul purged every time i had 50 charge.

At higher levels I think we will have even less problems since most Necros will have Warlock as their second soul and will have a couple different ways to tap mana, either from your pet or your own health. Also we have a Consumption ability and Lich Form helps too.

Rift Disciple

Hmm, is it cool to come into a mage thread, having only played a cleric, and give my 2 copper? I don't care I'm doing it anyways.

I'd be healing some people and ignoring the guy beating on me and then notice I'm OOM and the dude would run off. Then I had to make a choice between trying to exit combat and drink or run into their team for a quick suicide. If I was paying attention and saw a VK headed my way I could generally make it difficult enough to come after me, but I'm still effectively being taken out of the fight for the duration of the goose-chase.

Overall I think it's good stuff, I like the ability to take someone out of a fight without getting their HP to 0. I'd just like to see the same style able to work on warriors and rogues who seem to have what is effectively a bottomless mana pool. Also I'm thinking their mana drain won't be quite as effective at higher levels. For some reason I get the impression total amounts drained won't scale as much as mana pools will increase (clerics have crap mana pools compared to you guys, being wis based) and it's therefore overly strong at early to mid levels. Could be mistaken here.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Azach View Post
    Hmm, is it cool to come into a mage thread, having only played a cleric, and give my 2 copper? I don't care I'm doing it anyways.

I'd be healing some people and ignoring the guy beating on me and then notice I'm OOM and the dude would run off. Then I had to make a choice between trying to exit combat and drink or run into their team for a quick suicide. If I was paying attention and saw a VK headed my way I could generally make it difficult enough to come after me, but I'm still effectively being taken out of the fight for the duration of the goose-chase.

Overall I think it's good stuff, I like the ability to take someone out of a fight without getting their HP to 0. I'd just like to see the same style able to work on warriors and rogues who seem to have what is effectively a bottomless mana pool. Also I'm thinking their mana drain won't be quite as effective at higher levels. For some reason I get the impression total amounts drained won't scale as much as mana pools will increase (clerics have crap mana pools compared to you guys, being wis based) and it's therefore overly strong at early to mid levels. Could be mistaken here.
    As a dominator, your able to do that to warriors. You can drain their power/energy, and afterwards reduce energy/power regen to 0, for 5 seconds :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mystryl View Post
    Ok, since I apparently have a hard time making people see the actual OPness of this class. Not just against mages, but against rogues and warriors too. I thought I would ask here. In beta 6, what were your experiences vs this class? I know we are supposed to be killed by this class, since they're our anti class. But atm, they can laugh at our damage tickling them, and then go and pwn some assassin if they felt like it (this is just an example, don't take it like I believe the best course of action is to jump onto the VK with all guns blazing and everything).

Fire away.
    Void knights can spec to be undefeatable against mages; however, this comes at the cost of being able to hold our own against rogues. Rogues specialize in tearing through armor because of their 50 - 50 mix between elemental and physical damage, if you took a look at the VK tree you'd realize they don't have very many attacks or stuns or roots and so cannot consistently damage any target. There are ways to get around this [Speccing into RB tree] but even then our DPS is rather low compared to the massive burst damage of a champion. As for a VK Champion I don't know, that might actually be the ultimate class. O= Probably not just never built one or heard anything about one.Here we gooo~ http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...0zz.xezofzwkzz It seems a bit overpowered.. I wonder what an Empowered Titan's strike feels like.. LOL 150% damage of a move that hits you for 1k at level 35. That'll be fun. (: Oh and it scales. So now; with the creation of this build, I hereby declare VKs moderately OP.

Guestimation of a perfect Situation using Titan's Strike and Empower at Lv 50

Champ uses Mark of inevitability decreasing mage's armor by 600 points
    Champ uses Debilitating strike increasing damage of all attack point consuming abilities by x [Maybe 300 at lv 50]
    Champ uses Mark of Extermination increasing crit damage by 20%
    Mage crits VK Champ
    Champ uses Proper timing ensuring next attack ability will crit
    Don't make me angry activates increasing damage by 30% along with the 50% passive damage talent for pouring points in Champ and 14% Soldiers bearing.
    Champ uses Empower increasing the damage of the next damaging ability by 150%
    Champ uses Titan's strike and one-shots mage in addition to stunning their dead body for 5 seconds.
    Mage Parses log and QQ's to Devs
    [Insert epic nerf here.]
    Last edited by Harmless; 02-13-2011 at 09:39 PM.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit, there's no point in being a damn fool about it.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...guards-vendors.
    Does this make me a Defiant Super Villain?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Harmless View Post
    Void knights can spec to be undefeatable against mages; however, this comes at the cost of being able to hold our own against rogues. Rogues specialize in tearing through armor because of their 50 - 50 mix between elemental and physical damage, if you took a look at the VK tree you'd realize they don't have very many attacks or stuns or roots and so cannot consistently damage any target. There are ways to get around this [Speccing into RB tree] but even then our DPS is rather low compared to the massive burst damage of a champion. As for a VK Champion I don't know, that might actually be the ultimate class. O= Probably not just never built one or heard anything about one.Here we gooo~ http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...0zz.xezofzwkzz It seems a bit overpowered.. I wonder what an Empowered Titan's strike feels like.. LOL 150% damage of a move that hits you for 1k at level 35. That'll be fun. (: Oh and it scales. So now; with the creation of this build, I hereby declare VKs moderately OP.

Champ uses Debilitating strike increasing damage of all attack point consuming abilities by x [Maybe 300 at lv 50]
    Mage crits VK Champ
    Don't make me angry activates increasing damage by 30% along with the 50% passive damage talent for pouring points in Champ and 14% Soldiers bearing.
    Champ uses Titan's strike and one-shots mage in addition to stunning their dead body for 5 seconds.
    [Insert epic nerf here.]
    Guess the VK I saw must have been a: VK/Paladin/Champion/Riftblade/reaver/warlord kinda specc. Since he was having absolutely 0 trouble with anyone, and kill anyone faster than anyone else could kill anyone.
    Yup champion can do a loooot of damage, but they aren't tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmless View Post

Mage crits VK Champ
    [Insert epic nerf here.]
    Waste of time marking mages twice
    Use Slayers Bearings and Mark of Extermination, with proper timing it will be a crit regardless

Then just Empower and Titan him

Also you can make yourself immune to CC's while you do this

If he has allies, you can either Rift Summon the mage to you, or use Battlefield Intimidation to fear away anyone who is annoying you
    It's not a damage meters fault you can't hit a certain dps and others similar to you can, it's the fault of your bad gear, bad spec, or bad rotation. So stop getting mad at the meters and invest some time into not being bad.

DPS Mathcraft - How damage works
    DPS Mathcraft - STR vs DEX
    DPS Mathcraft - Armor
    Warrior DPS Calculator *UPDATED* v0.2
    Paragon Rebalancing Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    Waste of time marking mages twice
    Use Slayers Bearings and Mark of Extermination, with proper timing it will be a crit regardless

Then just Empower and Titan him

Also you can make yourself immune to CC's while you do this

If he has allies, you can either Rift Summon the mage to you, or use Battlefield Intimidation to fear away anyone who is annoying you
    Well I wasn't going to try to plan it out too far because then I'd just have people whining how squishy Champs were and I'd never get off that combo in a warfont. I wasn't trying to encourage a group mentality.
    Plus with the CC nerf isn't the fear only 3 seconds? :P
    Last edited by Harmless; 02-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit, there's no point in being a damn fool about it.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...guards-vendors.
    Does this make me a Defiant Super Villain?

+ Reply to Thread