+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 22 point sub-tree?

  1. #1
    Iri
    Iri is offline
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    571

    Default 22 point sub-tree?

    I've been trying to find something that looks like a decent 22 point sub-tree for (PvE) direct damage for those cases where I want the 44 point spell... elementalist and stormcaller being huge examples. So far it looks like all the dps trees are a complete wash, as 22 points as a sub-tree just starts to get you to the good stuff. Does 44 points in a single tree necessitate a 10/12 split in your off-trees, something like this? Or have I somehow missed a really good option?
    Last edited by Iri; 02-13-2011 at 01:14 AM.

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Modified

    If you just focus on Lock, you get Mortality and Shadow Life which are both very handy. Plus the extra 10% health from Lock helps your clerics out a ton.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Putting the 12 Archon points into Warlock would give you (pretty much just suggested by BurgerLord above):

    1. 10s fear
    2. 8s 70% movement debuff
    3. +10% HPs
    4. +5% spell crit
    5. +4% spell damage

    Since you said PVE, I'd go Dom for the third soul (0pts for the polymorph) as it's always useful in instances and even rifts if things go south.

    Also, 15 points in Stormcaller works well with Elementalist.

    1. +10% crit hit chance on air spells
    2. Party-wide regen
    3. -20% Air spell cost
    4. +5% Air spell damage
    5. Knockback skill
    6. 50% movement debuff
    7. Direct damage AOE
    Last edited by Organic; 02-13-2011 at 02:10 AM.

  4. #4
    Iri
    Iri is offline
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Hmm, I should clarify a couple of things.

    One, I'm currently attempting to put together dps builds without primarily situational tools... so fears, slows, and knockbacks are not strong positives. Same applies to additional survivability. So most of what you're listing as benefits for additional points in warlock is just filler for my current purposes, and 22 points leaves the build just short of what you really want to get from a heavy dip into warlock as a secondary tree. 3 points short for 44 pt Elementalist, to be precise, and 8 points for most others. The extra crit is nice, and spell dmg is great, although I don't see where you're getting it unless you're building the way I initially tried with two points in Dark Power, but the other stuff is pretty worthless for the purposes of this build.

    And two, for elementalist particularly, there are fairly heavy gaps open in the rotation. Crystalline Missiles needs to be cast roughly every nine seconds, Exposure every 30 seconds, Lightning Strike and Ignite are on ten second cds, and I wouldn't expect to use most of the other tools of the Elementalist - Channel Elements, Quicken Elements, etc. - more than once every couple of minutes. Mana is not a concern at all, obviously. The gaps in the rotation would ideally be filled by elemental spells of some sort, and Archon fits in rather well. Additionally, an element that seems overabundant for an Elementalist is Charge, so one of the things I'm looking for in an off-tree is a good charge use, and Power Drain is a beauty. Warlock is unfortunately lacking a good +dps Charge burn.

    Let me offer another example: instead of 44 pt Elementalist, suppose that I'm looking for a 44 pt Stormcaller. The only decent 22 pt off-tree option seems to be Elementalist, something like this. I'm just trying to find out if there are any other good options. Not really an issue for Lock/Dom/Pyro, as their 44 pt spell sucks for what I'm trying to get, and Necro/Chloro is situational, but the 44 pt Archon spell is pretty awesome, the Elementalist spell is amazing (+15% dps straight up plus Charge, what!), and the Stormcaller gets a Brez. So if you're a primary dps, and you want those spells, what are your off-tree options?

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iri View Post
    and the Stormcaller gets a Brez. So if you're a primary dps, and you want those spells, what are your off-tree options?
    Dunno if you've stumbled across the patch notes leaked from the alpha server a few days ago, but if they are authentic (as the last leaked ones were) and nothing changes, Recharge/Imp Recharge are being removed from SC.

  6. #6
    Iri
    Iri is offline
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    571

    Default

    I have not... are they being flat removed, or are they going somewhere else?

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple Dharknite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    138

    Default

    If the leaked alpha notes about changes made to SC in terms of Hypothermia spells a true, this was one build I thought about http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...zMto.Vtxtdqttz. Granted I lose out about on pet damage with out points in velocity, I figured the now 2 sec icicle will be my main nuke. It will slow by 75%, it has lower chance to be resisted thanks to 10% increase in spell focus and 22% increased damage from stretch of cold . And if the leaked alpha patch notes from early last week are true,crits will do 250% of normal damage with a decent chance to crit due to stacking debuff on an target. Combine that with elemental armor you will have a hard hitting spell. Not mention to charge generation will be good for mana regen as well as damage increase. Of course this is all speculation, we will have to wait until launch to see what ends happening in terms of souls changes.

    By the way Ignite has no cooldown.
    Last edited by Dharknite; 02-13-2011 at 06:29 PM.

  8. #8
    Iri
    Iri is offline
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dharknite View Post
    If the leaked alpha notes about changes made to SC in terms of Hypothermia spells a true, this was one build I thought about http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...zMto.Vtxtdqttz. Granted I lose out about on pet damage with out points in velocity, I figured the now 2 sec icicle will be my main nuke. It will slow by 75%, it has lower chance to be resisted thanks to 10% increase in spell focus and 22% increased damage from stretch of cold . And if the leaked alpha patch notes from early last week are true,crits will do 250% of normal damage with a decent chance to crit due to stacking debuff on an target. Combine that with elemental armor you will have a hard hitting spell. Not mention to charge generation will be good for mana regen as well as damage increase. Of course this is all speculation, we will have to wait until launch to see what ends happening in terms of souls changes.

    By the way Ignite has no cooldown.
    Interesting... I look forward to seeing the patch notes. A crit buff would be really huge for Elementalist and Archon builds. Should prove interesting to see.

    I'm aware Ignite has no technical cooldown, but since 2/3 of the damage from the spell comes as a ten-second DoT, it has an effective cooldown of ten seconds.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    I'm honestly looking at chloro and lock.

    Chloro for Entropic Veil (8 points for essentially 19% more damage half of the time). More points for more utility, and never really having to heal with pet with Quicken elements.

    or Lock for 22 points gets you a nice chunk of dps.

    Also never skip velocity 50% pet damage is huge when you stack it with everything else. And with it only being 50% chance to go off trying to maintain any semblance of a stormcaller rotation is really not going to work, and the stormcaller tree relies heavy investment to do any semblance of actual dps.

    Also opportunity in pve on an elementalist is a wash. Being the global is 1.5 sec cast, and most of what you'll be casting is a 1.5 second nuke, unless it procs right as lightning strike refreshes, it's not worth having.

    But it's quite awesome for pvp.
    Last edited by Juff; 02-13-2011 at 07:46 PM.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple Dharknite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iri View Post
    Interesting... I look forward to seeing the patch notes. A crit buff would be really huge for Elementalist and Archon builds. Should prove interesting to see.

    I'm aware Ignite has no technical cooldown, but since 2/3 of the damage from the spell comes as a ten-second DoT, it has an effective cooldown of ten seconds.
    Tempest gives 50% crit damage bonus, and the proposed change gives 50% crit bonus to spells that cause hypothermia.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts