+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warlock PvP Builds

Default Warlock PvP Builds

I will preface this with the fact that I have had not the pleasure of playing the Beta yet, but was just accepted for the one coming this Tuesday. After doing research, I have found numerous Warlock pvp builds, but none that were 51 point trees. While I may be wrong (again, as I have yet to see the practicality of it yet), I really think that most Warlock mages are underestimating "Empowered Darkness." While I can see how one can argue for saving the charges for spells like "Reconstruct", "Mortality", or "Soul Purge" (in Necro tree), I think that more often than not in group pvp, Warlocks will not be the main focus of attacks (as there are more threatening souls out there - healers, warriors and sabos from the sound of it). This being the case, having a buff that almost doubles our damage output would be better than adding a new spell or talent to our rotation. Even if we are the target, who is to say we can't use the other charged spells when need be? It's a nice buff to have for when we aren't the main focus of attacks. Here's a couple builds I am playing with:

A. Warlock - Necromancer - Archmage
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvw0.eeRAkqqek.xkc.x

The way I look at this build is that it takes the 51 point Warlock build, and adds in the Improved Necrosis, Consumption, and Essence Link. The one point in Fresh Graves is a filler to get the 10 pts for the root spells. Also, it will help the mangy little pet do a bit more damage, and be a bit more annoying to the enemy.

In addition, it adds some survivability and dps with the Archmage. 15% increased damage to players, plus Break Free and Detaunt are pretty hot to have.

B. Warlock - Necromancer - Dominator
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...RAkqqek.xzc.bs

or

C. Warlock - Necromancer - Dominator
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...RAkqqek.xkc.bc

Both of these builds also score the 51 point Warlock buff Empowered Darkness. They also both net the Improved Necrosis and Consumption from Necromancer tree, and Transmogrify / Clinging Form (for no CD squirreling) and Thunderblast from the Dominator tree. The difference is in the first build of these two, we focus on the extra point being in Priest's Lament, a nice debuff for any healer out there, and also getting Reflective Command in the process. The 2nd build sacrifices the Priest's Lament / Reflective Command to put back in the good ol' Fresh Graves in the Necro tree as a filler to get that 10 point Essence Link. Personally, I like the first of the two choices here, but I am not sure how much an impact that 10 lower resistance + 15% less healing can have an impact for pvp (it doesn't seem like much, but I don't know for sure).

Now, being new to this game, and not playing the beta yet, I tried to create a mobile DoT death center, focusing around instant casts while spamming Fears, Withers, an occasional Void Bolt to keep Leech up and squirreling if using Dominator. Here are a few questions:

Does Fear, Wither, Transmogrify, etc all have diminishing returns when cast on the same player repeatedly?

Does Transmogrify keep a player squirreled for the full 30 (36 talented) seconds, or does it have a shorter duration in pvp?

What can be one's argument for NOT using Empowered Darkness, and which talents would you prefer to pick up instead? (Am I assuming wrong about not being targeted first in a group?)

If Empowered Darkness IS viable, which of the three builds listed would be *best* (no such thing, but opinions can matter, if reasoned)?

What is most of the pvp oriented around? For example, is it random world encounters for the most part, or are there battlegrounds or instanced pvp areas? What size groups are usually in pvp?

If you have any other thoughts or contributions to my possible short-sightedness please by all means let me know. I have yet to put any of this into testing or practice, so some experienced players thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks for your patience, I know this is long-winded. Happy hunting!

~ Hellreaper

P.S. Are there going to be any good pvp guilds at launch? I did pre-order the game today.

Edit: Fixed a link
    Last edited by Hellreaper; 02-12-2011 at 10:07 PM.

As far as I can tell, both Fear and Transmogrify share the same diminishing returns. I haven't tried it with other CC's though (slow, snare, etc.).

Transmogrify lasts half as long as the indicated PvE duration. So it lasts 18 seconds I believe the first time around and then half that the second application (9 seconds).

Considering that your builds are designed for level 50, I don't think any of us can be a good judge on what is a good talent and what is not in practicality.
    It will always baffle me that people would object to quality of life improvements and just blame it on being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobyc View Post
    As far as I can tell, both Fear and Transmogrify share the same diminishing returns. I haven't tried it with other CC's though (slow, snare, etc.).

Transmogrify lasts half as long as the indicated PvE duration. So it lasts 18 seconds I believe the first time around and then half that the second application (9 seconds).

Considering that your builds are designed for level 50, I don't think any of us can be a good judge on what is a good talent and what is not in practicality.
    True, I failed to realize that players in the beta haven't been able to get that high yet. Theoretically, do you think that my assumption would be correct, or still would the points be better off in a different tree? Would Archmage or Dominator be better for the third tree?

Is there a good thread to read up on about the PvP in Rift? I am eagerly waiting for Tuesday, but would like to read up on as much as possible beforehand.

+ Reply to Thread