+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 51 not the way to go? Maybe not for Necro!

Plane Walker

Default 51 not the way to go? Maybe not for Necro!

Default 51 not the way to go? Maybe not for Necro!

Here's the thing if you want to rely on Necromancer then you first have to accept that your pet will be responsible for 70 percent of your damage output. This is not a bad thing just a different way to play.

So if you consider that the pet is the main source of the damage your dealing then if you are going to be a necromancer then you need to answer some questions to yourself.

Am I in a group situation where I feel safe? If not then Warlock will add to your survivability by a bunch. However the Necromancer recieves a mage pet that can stand back with them and if you are paying attention neither of you should have to worry about healing, or finding ways to reduce damage dealt to you.

I have theory crafted the best necromancer boss fight build IMO.

1. The purest build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwvR.EtftAtkus.xxohz

I also input chloromancer over the dominator this is a personal choice as I think the spores are fun to have.

This build will ensure that your pet is in fact your WEAPON. Going 51/15/0

Why 51 in Necromancer this seems to lack creativity? Not Necessarily as the lack of cap on Life Bane makes this build seem ridiculously over powered, considering it will add 102 percent additional damage to all undead pets.

Now if we "hope" that empty the crypts is fixed, instant cast please, or allow us to cast Exhume before hand! This adds 5 shamblers to increase your damage output.

Also consider the Mass Grave 51 point ability given in the necromancer soul, allowing you to cast an additional rogue and mage pet for 30 seconds. While I realize this is a 5 minute cool down and that seems too large, consider the following boss fight situation.

1. Cast PB with 5 points into it, gives you 2 stacks of DC. Cast Grave Rot, Necrosis, Looming Demise, additional dots giving the tank time to build his aggro "HE IS GOING TO NEED IT" Now it's time to bring the pain, grave rot again DC is about to be used. Enter Lich Form, add damage to yourself and 30 percent to your Undead Pets. Cast Mass Grave here comes your additional Rogue and Mage pet. Empty the crypts you now have 8 Undead pets attacking the boss all receiving 30 percent from lich form and 102 percent from life bane 8 pets attacking for 132 percent increased damage for 30 seconds.

I can't imagine any dungeon boss scenario in which the 5 percent crit damage or 20 percent additional spell damage via warlock soul could bring a warlock or necromancer spec to do more damage. In a raid this might be usable twice.

Also let us not forget that you can switch specs at anytime building a better AoE Garbage build to use until you reach a boss. Then simply switch for the fight.
    Last edited by Xynvyctus; 02-12-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Telaran

I think your build isn't optimal honestly. Symbiote is a waste if you're DPS. you have plenty of life drain and healing as is. Detonate Bones? If your pet is dying enough for that to be useful you're doin it wrong.

I've relocated some points. You lose very little from DPS from your necro tree, and 32% of your bonus pet dps based on necromancer points.

In exchange, you gain an additional 20% spell damage at all times, increased burst via sacrifice life:damage, another 10.6% damage from your DoT spells.

Also, consumption is a waste as you have Sacrifice Life: Mana, which is more cost effective and far more likely to be used as you are uncertain if enemies will have buffs to consume. As Soul Purge is your only charge dump, you'll be healing plenty and will not have any issues from self-inflicted damage.

3rd tree is up in the air, but Chloromancer is a good choice if there isn't one already in the raid. If there is, Dominator is a good second as CC is always useful, but Archon is by far the best as you can use pillaging stone to buff your casting stats so long as you cast it once every 5 minutes. Additionally, the endurance buff given by Archon will amplify your "reclaim power" ability should you ever find yourself in a situation where you wish to use that instead of Sacrifice Life: Mana

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Vzkus.xeRhz0Vx
    Last edited by Garresh; 02-13-2011 at 02:59 AM.

Mmm... ur warlock tree doesn't put any points into reducing casting time in void bolt, which i suppose does make sense, seeing that u only get -0.5 secs from it, which only makes it worth it if you spam the spell.
    Plague bolt is getting nerfed, so i would have tried to shift away the 5 points in deathly plague elsewhere. I've always thought that using void bolt as a necromancer is a good call seeing that i've no idea how weak they're making PB.
    I don't think they're going to give 'enough' love to pet classes' pets, almost no mmorpg has, considering it allows a really terrible player to just sic their pet on anyone and win. So i agree in trying to up the necromancer's dps, which in turn, luckily, does contribute to pet dps.
    Now that ur + crit % to spells transfers to ur pets' melee crit% as well, adding +% to magic crit directly increases ur pet's dps too.

Btw, i really don't suggest chloro as 3rd class. Reason being, it's currently one of the more popular classes, and people usually have improved radiant spores. I 100% agree with picking archon for 3rd if there are other CC classes. The boiling blood stacks so very easily, and pillaging stone does in all aspects a little.

I hope they change necro's top skills, having uncontrolled pets come out every 2 or 5 minutes... just isn't good enough. They should give us an option to kill off our pets at whim, thus making the detonation worth it. Also, when we summon a new pet, the current pet that's alive should die and explode. That way, when opportunity procs, i get to summon an instant new pet and the old one can explode for an aoe stun and decent damage, making it MUCH cooler in pvp especially.

Basically, more skill for necro play would be very welcome!

Telaran

Did you play AoC lyght? That is how that necro played or at least when I was playing AoC you had pets exploding so you would just resummon new on es and ae grps.

The reason he put those 5 in bolt is not because of its usefullness but because its additional 10% dmg for pets. Currently each point in the necro tree gives pets 2% extra dmg. Some other specs have similar buffs but they are capped to a % of dmg increase. Since so far the devs have not locked it down it is actually reasonable to blast all points into the tree if your pet is doing like 70% of the dmg for a necro to begin with.

if you do 200 dmg total and the OP says pet is doing 70% of the dmg then you do 60dmg you pet does 140 dmg this means that you could increase your crits by 5 and spell power by 10 percent or have you pets do 20% more dmg. Which one is more worth while?

I guess it will be one of those things you have to try at max level to see what the dmg difference is but until you can get all those points into necro at 50 it is probably more helpful to spread them into warlock while leveling.

Plane Walker

When you say "default 51" I am not sure what you mean, most classes dont seem worth putting 51 points into. Most of the 51 point abilities dont seem worth getting and several of the classes that get things for each point put into the class only get a small boost from it. There are a few classes that look like putting 51 points in is the way to go, but for most it does not.

Shadowlander

You got to think what you have to trade off to get to that 51 pnts. First off you have to spend alot of pnts in the Necro tree on skills you will never need or use. Total waste. Lets look at the skills you do pick up in the Necro root skills. Corpse explosion, its not a bad ability, but it is something that will be used in raids on aoe fights, not really something that will make a difference in pvp. Next is Last Gasp which is a very very sexssy ability that could be one of the most powerful abilities that a Necro gets. The last one is Mass Grave which is also a very useful skill, but the cooldown on it it is way too long to warrant a 51 pnt talent.

Now lets look at the latter, what if those points where spent in the Warlock soul. If you give up those 3 abilities in the Necro soul then you gain 10% health or 5% crit, Dark Fury as stun, Neddra's Grasp a dot, Dark Power 10% spell power increase, Improved Warlock Armor 10% increase in all damage, And Shadow life and Neddra's Essence which are very good "Uh oh!" abilities.

In my opinion you can create a much stronger toon by going higher in the Warlock soul. I could understand if people did want to chase the 44 pnt root ability Last Gasp out of the Necro soul, but they would give up a lot of damage potential from the top tier Warlock abilities.

Telaran

For now no one knows how much it may be worthwhile or not. So when we get to max level we will find out.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by mjkennedy View Post

In my opinion you can create a much stronger toon by going higher in the Warlock soul. I could understand if people did want to chase the 44 pnt root ability Last Gasp out of the Necro soul, but they would give up a lot of damage potential from the top tier Warlock abilities.
    Agreed - I am looking at something like this build -- still tweaking the actual abilities I will grab and use, etc. But it will still be 36/26/4.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...qqtz.xpctVzo.m

+ Reply to Thread