+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plaguebolt vs Voidbolt as Necro/lock

Default Plaguebolt vs Voidbolt as Necro/lock

am i missing something?, alot of necros say use voidbolt but dosent the deathly calling effect seriosly outway the extra voidbolt damage in a heavy necro build.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Soulblayze View Post
    am i missing something?, alot of necros say use voidbolt but dosent the deathly calling effect seriosly outway the extra voidbolt damage in a heavy necro build.
    Once you have 10 points in necromancer, Grave Rot opens up. Instant cast.
    That's what I use for Deathly calling, since there's a max limit of 5 stacks for both bolts and Grave Rot.
    Apply necrosis, grave rot - and void bolt from there on. Soul Purge if you have charge (which you usually have )
    Last edited by Glandur; 02-12-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Grave Rot > Plague Bolt

Void Bolt has a faster cast time than Plague Bolt which means you get charges faster which means more Soul Purge.

When using skeletal horror:
    Lead with plague bolt > follow instantly with necrosis > pet attacks mob and gets benefit of both deathly calling and necrosis being on the target instead of wasting pets skill then following with grave rot and on and on.

When fighting multiple mobs or you're needing health:
    Open with life leech > necrosis > grave rot > essence link > dark touch > void bolt to refresh life leech etc. etc.

That's pretty much how i play using melee dps pet. I need to experiment more with shadow revenant. I hardly ever use tank pet except for super tough mobs, or to save someone in the party. Once someone is saved i whip out another pet asap.

I think void bolt, plague bolt, and grave rot all have their situational advantages. I cant really blanket lable one as being superior to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiden View Post
    Grave Rot > Plague Bolt

Void Bolt has a faster cast time than Plague Bolt which means you get charges faster which means more Soul Purge.
    In order to get void bolt you neet to specc warlock.In order to get max dps with any built you need to specc 15 elemental.If you want to use void bolt instead of plague bolt you need to talent the lock tree with at least 8 points (3/3 imp void bolt , 5/5 more charge), that drops 8 points in necro which drops your pet by 16% dmg!, you lose the 51 pointer and the last gasp ability which is another powerful dot.

The imp void bolt does the same amount of damage as imp plague bolt (void has 1.5 sec cast and plague has 2s cast BUT with the added 25% dmg on 5 stacks of deathly calling), so if the loss of 8 points in necro is worth it for you it's perfectly viable to use VB over PB.Why do you think they added the 25% buff to PB in order to make it on par with VB?(So necros would use it instead)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nemilos View Post
    The imp void bolt does the same amount of damage as imp plague bolt (void has 1.5 sec cast and plague has 2s cast BUT with the added 25% dmg on 5 stacks of deathly calling), so if the loss of 8 points in necro is worth it for you it's perfectly viable to use VB over PB.Why do you think they added the 25% buff to PB in order to make it on par with VB?(So necros would use it instead)
    I am not sure if you are right
    Void bold does 18-20 damage and plague bold does 15-18 damage.
    (18/15)*100% = 120%, (20/18)*100% = 111%

Thus:
    -Void bold seems to do somewhere between 11 and 20 % more damage as plague bold (at least at lvl 1, I do not know if the spells scale differently when you lvl up)
    -It takes time to apply 5 stacks to get 25% added damage
    -It might be that Plague Bolt damage will be reduced in an upcoming patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemilos View Post
    .In order to get max dps with any built you need to specc 15 elemental
    This is a fallacy.

Regardless, Plague Bolt needs a ton of help and according to leaked notes it's getting nerfed which makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Last edited by OdinTGE; 02-12-2011 at 02:37 PM.

using Grave Rot applies 5 stacks of Deathly Calling in probly half the time that Plague Bolt can, so imo improved Void Bolt>Plague Bolt.. at least if you use Grave Rot

Regardless, Plague Bolt needs a ton of help and according to leaked notes it's getting nerfed which makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Wow o.o I would've guessed Trion would make it stronger, or add a reduce cast time talent instead of nerfing it xD
    Last edited by Valtael; 02-12-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Telaran

The .5 sec cast time difference really makes a huge difference.
    It takes too long to keep using PB to apply deathly calling to make it worth using.
    Plus VB renews life leech. After LL is applied, VB saves 1 cast slot in a sequence. IF you cast it in time of course.

Unless you're in some sort of raid/boss encounter, getting 5 stacks of deathly calling just isn't practical with PB. Not unless you want to pull agro that much faster and sacrifice some other dots. and the 10 seconds to cast PB 5 times is also the duration of LL.
    It's possible that the math works out so that 5 stacks of DC via PB works out better because of the boost to pet damage but I doubt it. Especially if you have more than 1 mob to deal with.

I really hate the conflict between these 2 abilities. If you are primarily a necro, PB should be your primary DD, but because of the cast time especially it's just not practical. So unless you find roleplaying more important that DPS, it's not worth using PB.
    Mostly it seems like locks and necro's aren't meant to be compatible. You're almost better off mixing lock+elementalist than lock+necro.

Both elementalists and locks have a 5 point ability to reduce cast time, but the necro doesn't for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by OdinTGE View Post
    This is a fallacy.

Have to agree.

And there is really no synergy between ele and necro or lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Struikrover View Post
    I am not sure if you are right
    Void bold does 18-20 damage and plague bold does 15-18 damage.
    (18/15)*100% = 120%, (20/18)*100% = 111%

Thus:
    -Void bold seems to do somewhere between 11 and 20 % more damage as plague bold (at least at lvl 1, I do not know if the spells scale differently when you lvl up)
    -It takes time to apply 5 stacks to get 25% added damage
    -It might be that Plague Bolt damage will be reduced in an upcoming patch.
    the time it takes to apply stacks is irrelevant PVE boss encounter, and the base damage doesn't mean much, plague bolt probably get more bonus from spell power as it has a higher cast time.I think they will be roughly on par in terms of damage, although VB does generate more charge.
    As of beta 7 plague bolt is getting nerfed tho by some 25% so I guess we necros will be forced to use VB instead and applying deathly calling using Grave Touch instead..shame
    Last edited by Nemilos; 02-14-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Seems to me, with Lingering Pain, Void Bolt saves you a Global in your rotation as it keeps your Life Leech fresh.

How would a global factor in between the two?

Rift Disciple

In PvP you wont use voidbolt because you wont spec for the faster voidbolt.

You will use opportunity PB procs to drop deathly calling if grave rot is down or targets are moving

I use grave rot on stacks of people but it's interface is hard when running in circles and has a cooldown.

The useful bolt in PvP in warlock tree is the insta draining bolt.

I realize you guys asre talking about PvE but some may care about PvP

Plague Bolt is getting nerfed in the next patch (apparently) so I think all arguments for Void Bolt win hands down for now.

Soulwalker

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Animalmom View Post
    In PvP you wont use voidbolt because you wont spec for the faster voidbolt.

You will use opportunity PB procs to drop deathly calling if grave rot is down or targets are moving

I use grave rot on stacks of people but it's interface is hard when running in circles and has a cooldown.

The useful bolt in PvP in warlock tree is the insta draining bolt.

I realize you guys asre talking about PvE but some may care about PvP
    No they're not talking about pve they are just talking about noob levels Anyone who tell you you can forget plague bolt and use grave rot instead is just plain clueless and didn't reach very high in the soul tree. The zealot consume stacks of deathly calling way too fast to keep up with grave rot and it's 10 sec cooldown, you WILL have to use plague bolt whether you like it or not.

If grave rot lasted 10 sec and it placed one stack of deathly per seconde for the whole duration then yeah, forget the bolt, but that's not how it works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast