+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what mage is best

Default what mage is best

for dps?
    please only post if you have tried all of them
    i have mainly played a necro/lock for PvE and a lock/necro for PvP, and i have found the DPS lacking, so what class do you think is the best for straight DPS and what about DPS with survivability?

Is this a serious question?

Best against a single target? 2 targets? 3+?

PvP or PvE?

Solo or group or raid?

Sustained or burst?

Get the point? There are too many variables for there to be a "best" Mage.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Default um

Survivalbility is a question right now with the mages, for what we have seen in the lower end of the games mages are losing out badly against the rogues and wars. the better 2 dmg mages are the pyro and elementalist. but the endgame playing is still unknown. ask this question again towards the end of the open Beta and you will recieve some better information.
    The Darkness of Death... Pain of the Hawks Talons... They linger with me as I wade into battle.

In addition to the questions raised above, are you expecitng us to pick a certain combination for you? This game has a lot of options and playstlye and no beta has given us access to the top end of the game, so It's impossible to tell you about scaling and higher levels combinations.

Plane Touched

For DPS + survivability Necro is easily the top. Necro is no slouch with damage output. Also having a pet to take agro and the ability to heal both your pet and yourself in combat swiftly and cheaply makes survivability top notch.

Chloro has best survivability, especially if you get a greater earth elemental pet, but your damage output will be much less.

Best AoE damage output is hard to quantify but Stormcaller seems to have the best tools for AoE.

Stormcaller used to have great single target sustained damage but recent nerfs have lessened it noticeably.

Pyro easily has the best single target burst (note: requires procs from branch abilities) and probably single target sustained as well.

Best consistent debuffer (as in debuff is always available and doesn't break easily) is Archon.

Best individual debuffs but with limitations is Dominator.

Champion

Where are you people getting this crap about stormcaller single target getting nerfed? Learn to adapt. My dmg did not really change between b5 and b6, aoe or single target.

Soulwalker

Default hmm

sure thing Pyro is one of the best if not the best dps soul for mage .

i think Pyro / Ele / Archon would be fine .

but i surely gonna use Stormcaller soul ... dunno 'bout other 2 .

If you gonna do PvP Stormcaller would be soul that is good cause of knockback skills that it has... and dmg ain't that bad overall.

if you do Pve i prefer Pyro or Ele as "Main"
    Searching for Guild that plays on PvP server altough does PvE things too.

Prophet of Telara

The best mage is the one you have the most fun playing.

The best mage for DPS is probably the one that gives you the feeling that you're doing great damage. Often that's the one with the biggest crits - even though it may not be the one with the best DPS. Sometimes it's the one which puts dots on lots of mobs and watches as they all gradually die.... depends a bit on how you measure things....

The best mage for people who like to parse damage and rate their game-play enjoyment by such measures... is probably fairly meaningless... because they'll also be looking at other classes or better equipped players and noticing that somebody else is doing more than them - and not being pleased anyway.

Personally, I try to find the best mage of the first definition... the one I have most fun playing.

X

ARcane Mage!, no wait thats not right...........there is no best class in rift , kinda obviouse..........

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    The best mage is the one you have the most fun playing.

The best mage for DPS is probably the one that gives you the feeling that you're doing great damage. Often that's the one with the biggest crits - even though it may not be the one with the best DPS. Sometimes it's the one which puts dots on lots of mobs and watches as they all gradually die.... depends a bit on how you measure things....

The best mage for people who like to parse damage and rate their game-play enjoyment by such measures... is probably fairly meaningless... because they'll also be looking at other classes or better equipped players and noticing that somebody else is doing more than them - and not being pleased anyway.

Personally, I try to find the best mage of the first definition... the one I have most fun playing.

X
    I've stuck with stormcaller even when everyone said it would be worthless to play anymore in b6. Personally, i do not care what someone else does. I care what stormcaller can do, at it's best. There is abit of pride in pushing a combination to it's best, even if it not THE best period.

Plus stormcaller is pretty fun.

Plane Touched

This is probably the third thread of this nature. Please use the search option next time.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Grave_Robber View Post
    for dps?
    please only post if you have tried all of them
    i have mainly played a necro/lock for PvE and a lock/necro for PvP, and i have found the DPS lacking, so what class do you think is the best for straight DPS and what about DPS with survivability?

the one I play....period

Rift Disciple

Play and test them out yourself. There is no one right answer because there are just too many variables.

the one that crushes his enemies, sees them driven before him, and hears the lamentation of the women. that is what mage is best

Quote Originally Posted by daddy december View Post
    the one that crushes his enemies, sees them driven before him, and hears the lamentation of the women. that is what mage is best
    So chloromancer?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast