Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intelligence or Spell Damage

Rift Disciple

Default Intelligence or Spell Damage

My understanding is that 1% intelligence translates into 1% spellpower. I know that intelligence also gives you more crit, but lets set that aside for the moment.

The damage increase from 1% spellpower should vary based on the base damage of the spell being cast. But I don't know what the formula is for calculating at which point spellpower is greater than spell damage.

To sum it up, Is Intelligence > spell damage? if so, is there a break point where spell damage is greater?

Well, seeing from the itemization on gear, only weapons give you spellpower, and the rest of your equipment gives you intellect only, which boots spellpower.

Also, weapons give both intellect and spellpower, so I'm not sure how to go about answering your question.

If you're looking at a weapon and it gives you 100 spellpower, and another gives you 10 intellect and 90 spell power, it's probably safe to assume taking the 10 intellect and 90 spellpower since you get more benifit from intellect, especially considers some talents like Natural Awareness in the Chloromancer tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Maihes View Post
    My understanding is that 1% intelligence translates into 1% spellpower. I know that intelligence also gives you more crit, but lets set that aside for the moment.

The damage increase from 1% spellpower should vary based on the base damage of the spell being cast. But I don't know what the formula is for calculating at which point spellpower is greater than spell damage.

To sum it up, Is Intelligence > spell damage? if so, is there a break point where spell damage is greater?
    A cleric's base Spell Power is the sum of 75% Wisdom + 25% Intelligence.

A mage's base Spell Power is the sum of 50% Wisdom + 50% Intelligence.

IF this is correct it means that 1 int = 0.5 spell power for mages, and 1int=0.25 sp for clerics, while 1wis=0.75 sp for clerics and 0.25 sp for mages.

Therefore SP>Intelligence for pure dps, but there are more things to consider like max mana, crit,talents that buff intelligence etc.

Telarapedia states that but it also states that 1 intelligence=1spell power which is a contradiction as it would make INT far superior to SP as it provides the same dmg in addition to increasing crit and mana...
    Last edited by Nemilos; 02-12-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemilos View Post
    A cleric's base Spell Power is the sum of 75% Wisdom + 25% Intelligence.

A mage's base Spell Power is the sum of 50% Wisdom + 50% Intelligence.
    indeed, that's what the wikis say but the word "base" is interesting since the Int tooltip shows that each point of Int is giving you 1 Spellpower. if that formula applied throughout then you would surely expect to get 0.5 SP per Int.

...unless clerics get 1.5 SP per Wis and 0.5 per Int but that doesn't sound entirely likely.
    0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987...

Rift Master

for how spell power translates to the actual spell damage every skill has its own coeficient multiplier, you have to check them case for case - basic damage bonus should be 5 spell power = 1dps (need to check when I can log).
    2 int = 1 spell power, 1 not 1%, that's entirely another thing.
    2wis = 1 spell power
    I dont remember exactly (need to check when I log) but should be 20 int = 1% crit chance.
    1 int = 10 mana point total mana
    10 wis = 1 mana point per second (to be checked)

Mix a=of both is good but depending on the soul you choose int will probably be a bit better than SP. Some damage/ drain and mana recovery spells are based off of Max Mana, in those cases having more int would be helpful.

Shadowlander

Did they change the Int to spellpower ratio? In Beta 6 it was 1 INT = 1 Spell Power....

Quote Originally Posted by Decimatus View Post
    Did they change the Int to spellpower ratio? In Beta 6 it was 1 INT = 1 Spell Power....
    In beta 6 1int=0.5 sp this i can confirm 100%.I checked this by removing a 10int item then equipping it back on.My spell power dropped by 5.So yea basically spell power provides 50% more than int but int has mana+crit to compensate.

Rift Disciple

Default Thanks for the replies

so INT is better than SP, but is 1% int = 0.5% sp greater than 1% spell DAMAGE increase (note: NOT spell power increase)

I would imagine it would depend on the base damage of each spell being cast. the greater the base damage, the better spell DAMAGE % increase is for that spell. but is it better than the same % of spell POWER. and if so, at what point in base damage is spell DAMAGE better?

I hope it doesn't sound too confusing.

Rift Master

so INT is better than SP, but is 1% int = 0.5% sp greater than 1% spell DAMAGE increase (note: NOT spell power increase)

I would imagine it would depend on the base damage of each spell being cast. the greater the base damage, the better spell DAMAGE % increase is for that spell. but is it better than the same % of spell POWER. and if so, at what point in base damage is spell DAMAGE better?

I hope it doesn't sound too confusing.
    where you get those percentiles?
    1 POINT of int = 0,5 POINTS of sp, not percentiles!
    that's not the same thing!
    you get a sp base stat from your weapon so if int would increase your sp by a percentile and not a fixed amount it would increase of a percentile of your weapon sp stat too, thats bad.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nix-zero View Post
    where you get those percentiles?
    1 POINT of int = 0,5 POINTS of sp, not percentiles!
    that's not the same thing!
    you get a sp base stat from your weapon so if int would increase your sp by a percentile and not a fixed amount it would increase of a percentile of your weapon sp stat too, thats bad.
    whoops. thought it was percentile.

Let me rephrase the question:

Which is better +10% spell DAMAGE (not spell power) or +10% INT. as far as burst goes.

Rift Master

Which is better +10% spell DAMAGE (not spell power) or +10% INT. as far as burst goes.
    spell damage should be better, depending on how you get it (I suppose you hare talking about talents, not items).
    10%more int should get you around 2,5% more base damage, minus spell damage deriving from items's spell power.

Champion

That question cannot be answered. Reason being? +10% int could be 10% of 100 int, and be worth less than 10% spell dmg. Or.. 10% int of 500 int, and be worth quite alot in both in both spell power and crit hit chance.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kuggy View Post
    That question cannot be answered. Reason being? +10% int could be 10% of 100 int, and be worth less than 10% spell dmg. Or.. 10% int of 500 int, and be worth quite alot in both in both spell power and crit hit chance.
    Yes, this is in regards to talents.

Then I guess the proper question is:

What is the formula for how Spell Power affects spell damage?

This way I can calculate when INT is better than spell damage

Plane Touched

Yes, this is in regards to talents.

Then I guess the proper question is:

What is the formula for how Spell Power affects spell damage?

This way I can calculate when INT is better than spell damage
    5 spellpower = 1 pt damage bonus

Then, each individual skill has a different "spell power modifier", which changes the spell power bonus it gets by a %. For example, the cleric Healing Invocation spell has a 250% spellpower coefficient. Other spells have 50% (half bonus from spell power), 100%, etc.

So if you have 200 spellpower, you have a 40pt "spell power bonus". The cleric "Healing Invocation" spell would gain 100pts of healing from that (250% modifier). Other spells might gain 20ps or 80pts or whatever, depending on their modifier.

A 1% crit bonus is a .5% (half a percent) increase in DPS, assuming no talents that modify crit damage. So 20 INT provides 10 spellpower (2pt boost) and half a percent of additional DPS. Conversely, 20 Spellpower provides a flat 4pt boost. Which is better depends on your current DPS, the spell's unique damage modifier, and talents that modify crit damage. Generally speaking, as you move towards the end game, INT becomes more valuable relative to spell power (because DPS goes up, while the spell's damage modifier remains the same). However, you need about 266 DPS before INT becomes strictly better than spell power on spells with a 100% modifier, and over 600 DPS before it becomes better on skills with a 250% modifier.
    Last edited by Goryus; 02-12-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast