+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking at Mage DPS build need advice

Plane Walker

Default Looking at Mage DPS build need advice

Hey folks,

So far thru the betas I've played a rogue and tank (29 and 33 respectivley). I was wondering what kind of Mage builds make the best/typical DPS builds for PvE soloing and groups. I dont want to heal so much as just causing massive damage.(i have a friend exploring the healers) I'm more or less looking for a wizard type build ala EQ1 and 2.I'd also prefer not to have to manage a pet unless they do a superb job of protecting my robe wearing backside lol. I don't typically play mage classes even in single player games. But i'm willing to try with Rifts. Thanks in advance for any suggestons/build links!

Pyromancer with some points in elementalist.

Currently stormcaller can out dps pyro.

Rogue.

With a five day open beta coming, there's ample time to try a few different classes.
    Just, comfortably numb....

Plane Touched

Taking a pet during the early levels make a lot of sense. Because you can use a 0 point third slot on a pet class, it's almost like the pet is free. Up to level 30 or so, the 0 point pets are still viable distractions.

Elementalist stone pet is a nice tank.... Necro pet, not so much. The 1st Necro pet is very brittle. ! mob will break ribs fairly quickly. 2 mobs will grind him into dust in short order.... Oh yeah, and he can't hold aggro to save your life. By the time you lay your 3rd DOT, aggro is now firmly on YOU
    Do what thou will shalt be the whole of the Law
    Life is the leading cause of Death
    The Gene Pool needs chlorine

Plane Touched

Elementalist for synergy and stormcaller for damage spells. Then maybe dom for a little cc now and then. Well, elementalist does have a couple nice damage spells as well.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler1986 View Post
    Currently stormcaller can out dps pyro.
    Liiiieeeessss!

I think a well played stormcaller overall will have better dps than a pyro, but it will be also harder to play keeping up which enemies are electrified so you can hit more with your water abilities. I feel if an equally skilled pyro and stormcaller face off in dps the stormcaller will win, but stormcaller will be harder to play though.

Also it is harder to stack resistances against stormcallers since they have to elemental damages while pyro just have one.

This personally is my favorite build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...t.gftIzusuto.V

Pyromancer 44 ( Base of dps and the more point put in generate more damage via Burning Bright)
    Elementalist 17(Points in this give you a pet, 5% crit chance increase, and a 50% crit damage increase, as well as a curse that causes spells to hit 6% more for 30 seconds/)
    Archon 5 ( 5% fire damage increase)

Agreed, I almost posted that earlier, I think pyro is easier to play than stormcaller. But I leveled as a pyro and tried to learn storm at lvl 30. but ya, still think pyro is probably easier to play.

The lesser earth elemental can't tank very well anymore either. Leveling from 30-35 (lesser earth pet stays at 30) it was near useless. I would unload everything I had while my pet was running into the mob, pet meets mob and casts force target, 2-3 spell casts later, the mob is on me and the pet has no way of getting it back. Burn mob, drink afterwards being at 50-75% hp.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler1986 View Post
    Agreed, I almost posted that earlier, I think pyro is easier to play than stormcaller. But I leveled as a pyro and tried to learn storm at lvl 30. but ya, still think pyro is probably easier to play.

The lesser earth elemental can't tank very well anymore either. Leveling from 30-35 (lesser earth pet stays at 30) it was near useless. I would unload everything I had while my pet was running into the mob, pet meets mob and casts force target, 2-3 spell casts later, the mob is on me and the pet has no way of getting it back. Burn mob, drink afterwards being at 50-75% hp.
    You kicked *** as a stormcaller. But as we discussed, it is pretty normal for people to do better playing what they find most fun and just enjoy, rather than trying to brute force a "grass is greener" build into what you've seen it done.

Plus, we need longer fights to really compare. I still consider pyro my equal with most things considered

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Vincennes View Post
    This personally is my favorite build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...t.gftIzusuto.V

Pyromancer 44 ( Base of dps and the more point put in generate more damage via Burning Bright)
    Elementalist 17(Points in this give you a pet, 5% crit chance increase, and a 50% crit damage increase, as well as a curse that causes spells to hit 6% more for 30 seconds/)
    Archon 5 ( 5% fire damage increase)
    yea this build has good DPS same as the way i set my Pyro up Crit & Dmg bonus but also with the elementalist if u spend just 1 more point u can get the ice shield MUCH earlier than the fire shield and it goes a long way in the begiining stages of the game.
    The Darkness of Death... Pain of the Hawks Talons... They linger with me as I wade into battle.

+ Reply to Thread