+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elementalist/X/X ideas (PVE)

Plane Touched

Default Elementalist/X/X ideas (PVE)

So I am in anticipation toying around with some elementalist builds for next beta.

Currently operating under the assumption the 51 point ability is a useful dps cooldown; and that the 2% per point of extra pet dps is actually a bigger increase than a point else where (which may not be true; I won't know until I get to parse an air pet at 42).

Also; Basic ideas for a rotation is
    Crystalline missles till debuff is up -> Lightning Strike -> 4.5 seconds of filler until I have to recast crystalline missles so it doesn't fall off.

So basically using abilities from other trees as that 4.5 seconds of filler.
    First Thought

Ele/Warlock/Dom

Basically, use 3 seconds casting to put up the two dots, drop a void bolt to refresh the duration of Life Leech.
    Crystalline Missles -> Strike -> Life Leech -> Dark Touch -> Void Bolt

Also; I skipped opportunity for the simple fact the only ability that would actually see a dps increase from it is Lightning strike; so you would basically have to proc it; and lightning strike be up. Any other ability has an instant or 1.5 second cast time, leaving no actual dps increase from it going off.

Second
    Ele/Chloro/Dom

The basic idea for this is that keeping up natural awareness at level 50 gear levels will net a large enough increase in spellpower/crit that it would be more dps than that from the dots. The last two points would be for whatever you felt like doing with them. Also, a single cast of Vile spores is actually about the same damage as a single cast of fire ball AS LONG AS you let the dot run it's total duration.

For this it's not so much a rotation as a priority system. Don't let missles debuff fall, don't let natural awareness fall, and use ruin and LS on cooldown. Use Crystalline missles as your filler when everything else is taken care of. Could possibly work a few ticks of stream of reclamation in if you had time, but I think that'd eat mana pretty badly.

Lastly
    Ele/Pyro/Archon

This is the build I have done the least work on, strictly because the abilities that actually make pyro dps good are deeper in the tree; but it also seems to be what most people are wanting to play with their ele main soul. Honestly; I don't think it'll be worth for it because the two together are kind of clunky due to fireballs 1.6 second instead of the standard 1.5 second for most other bolt spells.

CM -> LS -> Fireball x3 -> Repeat

Anyway! Thoughts, Ideas?

Even if the 51 point sucks i'd still go 44 points just for Elemental armor, but that's a post for another day.

Rift Disciple

What exactly are you looking to do? End Game Dungeons/Raids?

If so i'm not sure if elemental is the best choice since is so heavily pet based. But if the pet dmg is high when full elemental then maybe.

I don't have a fair amount of experienced input for this type of build combo for (Main Elemental) but since elemental has a fair amount of fire spells then this is what i would prolly do.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...xpz.xc0Ioucz.V

You can use a lot of the features from Pyro for fillers and for Burst/ AoE Burst/ and DoT damage.
    Last edited by xineo; 02-12-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Plane Touched

Elementalists only have 1 fire spell that isn't ever worth casting.

Also not going 44 points for Elemental armor is silly, 15% more damage and charge generation is going to be a larger dps increase than 5% fire damage and 10% chance to proc an instant cinder burst.
    Last edited by Juff; 02-12-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Rift Chaser

personally i will use the ele soul for my leveling/ solo/ pve build with the pryo for dps support and zero point dom for the squirrel. so far i am very well pleased with this combination having played it to to almost level 30.

the plan is to go heavy in ele as much i can and use the pyro fire ball as my spam dps rotation spell. well not much a rotation i guess if it is lightning strike fireball fireball fireball lightning strike. the tank pet dps for me is insignicant as he is there to tank and i am to heal him and dps. besides fireball does significant more damage and the points spent in crystalline can be better used some where else for now.

note i might dump the dom tree at higher levels for archon soul fire if the squirrel is no longer neeeded.

for grouping/rifts/raids dps i am torn between three other souls but it doesnt mean ele cant fill that role for you. for myself i think there are better choices out there.

what ever build you make have fun and try to learn if its for you.

I have been playing a Elem / Chloro / Dom - 32 / 14 / 0 (46 total points at 35, dom is so far only for squirrel). I found that with this build and placing synthesis on my pet I have been able to chain pull (32 point in combat power regen), use my small nuke spores to heal my pet while dps'ing with little to no problem. To let my pet have aggro I target thru my pet although not necessary. Works well and never without power. Doesn't hurt to have the pet healing maxxed so he can fight 3 or 4 mobs at a time, so you heal him quick and easy.

At one point killed 9 or 10 mobs without going out of combat cuz I didn't need to because of the power regen. I only stopped pulling cuz my guildies wanted to do a dungeon.
    Last edited by spyderinlv; 02-12-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him.
    - Sun Tzu

I am curious how effective the Elementalist 51 skill "Swarming Flames" is and if it's worth investing the extra 7 points into the tree.
    Last edited by Clawdius; 02-13-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    CLAWDIUS
    PvE OFFICER

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
    General George S. Patton

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Clawdius View Post
    I am curious how effective the Elementalist 51 skill "Swarming Flames" is and if it's worth investing the extra 7 points into the tree.
    I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. And I really hope it is because I think the swarm pet idea is fun, but to make it better than putting points elsewhere, it'd need to do something like 100% of your dps for the duration they're up. Now I'm holding out for that being true but it just seems that might be a bit unreasonable.

Now, something i've noticed is unlike druids, we don't get a pet ae damage reduction talent. Really I'm thinking chloro for entropic ruination, and synthesis. Use synthesis on the pet, and hit ruin on cooldown (at 51/15 anyway) and entropic ruination probably gives you the most dps of all your options. while giving you a nice selection of pet support in the process.

The other option is warlock, which may be more dps depending on if a ~10% self dps increase (on average) from entropic ruination is more or less than the dots.

The biggest issue is that the elementalist rotation is so fubar; velocity debuff only being a 50% chance to proc means you have to really find the least amount of buttons you can add to increase your dps, so you can keep casting crystalline missles to keep up the debuff.

Plane Touched

Spent ~2 hours this morning crunching numbers.

44 Ele/22 Pyro far and away smashed just about everything else (using base level 50 values) need more information for proper calculations, but we are talking ~30% more dps over ele/lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Juff View Post
    Now, something i've noticed is unlike druids, we don't get a pet ae damage reduction talent.
    Greater Elemental Affinity does this. It does more than just unlock the Greater Earth and Air Elementals, unless the Zam calculator is out of date again. It cuts AE damage by 35% plus 2% per point past 21.

Shadowlander

I've spent a lot of time looking at this and the best I can come up with in terms of pure damage is this: (Single target PVE damage)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zqyv.Etgtdqttz.V.xx

I've maxed out the tree in hopes that Swarming Flames is worth it. I remember reading that the Necro equivalent (Empty the Crypts or something like that) is really bad though. Hopefully by release neither skill is bad. Even if Swarming Flames isn't all that good you still get the pet bonuses from Force of Nature and Greater Elemental Affinity. Synergize should be pretty nice as well but I'll go into that in a bit.

As someone else has mentioned the fire spell Elemental gets is pretty weak. It's really not worth casting right now.

I really had a hard time picking the second and third trees. The only other possibilities I could see were Dom, Archon and Pyro.

Dominator was for the extra CC and +10% Int. However that first tier is pretty weak in terms of damage. Archon was for the fire damage (for AOEs) and buffs but they just are not worth it.

Pyro was my initial thought. Before the change to Crystalline Missiles I had a build that favored Pyro more than Elemental but I've since switched. The problem with Pyro is that it just doesn't synergize with anything in the first few tiers. You really want to be casting Crystalline Missiles a lot now so you can't use fireball and you don't get a benefit from anything else. Elemental does synergize very well with a heavy Pyro build, just not the other way around.

So finally I'm left with Stormcaller and Warlock. Stormcaller is obviously for the synergy with Lightning Strike. Warlock is actually very nice for three reasons.
    1. You get additional charge from Magical Affinity.
    2. You can get instant casts for Lightning strike.
    3. You get Sacrifice Life: Mana.
    The DOTs won't be worth it so ignore those.

You'll notice now that the build heavily favors rapidly gaining charge. The reason for this is Elemental Forces which is amazing. You'll want as much uptime on this as possible - it is a really good damage increase - so the more charge bonuses you get the better. You'll get the bonuses from Elemental Armor (one of the best root talents in the game), Synergize, and Magical Affinity.

Elemental Forces works wonderfully with Crystalline Missles. The spell gains charge VERY quickly. The 1.5 seconds cast is perfect speed for the global cooldown and for the internal cooldown of Elemental Forces (it can't occur more frequently than that). And of course you need it to keep up the pet buff.

When you have extra time (i.e.: when the Missiles debuff is high) you be doing one of two things; Lifetapping or casting Lightning Strike. Lightning Strike does a lot of damage. Ideally you'll want to use the instant cast procs with this, but hard-casting it works too. Don't cast it when the Missiles debuff is about the fade though. That debuff can really be a pain to keep up sometimes.

The build is weak in the AE department but with four roles I'd say you can have one set aside that is all out AOE.

The only difference I can see making is switching in Dom for CC etc. I haven't done the higher dungeons/raids yet though so I'm not if that will be worth it or not.
    Last edited by Mallard; 02-16-2011 at 06:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread