+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mages AoE

Default Mages AoE

I have not had much experience with mages yet, and was wondering which mage soul seems to do the best AoE damage.
    A brave man uses fear as a tool.
    A coward uses fear as an excuse.

Pyros with Firestorm/backdraft

Stormcallers do great aoe damage, pyro / ele combo can also do good damage. My buddy as a warlock / necro even did great aoe damage. Just make sure and pick up the spells that are aoe if needed from the trees and you can do very good aoe damage as any of those three specs.

locks get a gtaoe and you can pick up grave rot from necro (which is rather weak) but not sure how those really compare to other classes

for pvp i would reccomend stormcaller

warlock is probably best for pve due to mortality emergency button.

The mob damage increase kind of limits the number of things you can aoe while soloing though. 3 is about the most i could do safely with the warlock/chloro aoe build.

Not sure if it's "good" aoe damage, but was screwing around with a chloro to get upgraded aoe radiant spores and a warlock, and it was at least fun and surprisingly survivable seeing as you're aoe tanking.

Here's some random snippets of video at level 31. I'd barely specced into the soul just to test it, so isn't always as smooth as it could be, and it's just normal and invasion mobs, nothing fancy (I tried elites, nogo lol) but LINK

I didn't fraps it, but had good luck a few levels later fighting mobs equal or slightly higher level, as well, especially since I'd had more practice. And was aoeing the hell out of stuff during one of the zone events with nice success (and imo more importantly nice survivability and even nice group support as I was keeping radiant spores up on mobs). Was fun.
    Last edited by popsicledeath; 02-11-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Stormcaller does pretty ridiculous AOE damage after level 30.

Shadowlander

My PvP souls were 30 points straight into a pyromancer and 10 for arcmage, and the AoE's tended to hit for 200-400 in a group. during dungeons the AoE isn't as much use as a directed DPS on a single target to get them down faster.

But this was my experience but i would say while its the beta try out as much as you can and find a match that fits your game style that you enjoy playing.
    CPU: Intel QX9775 X2
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX295 SLI
    RAM: 8GB Kingston
    mmm, i smell flamed noob rosted on a open forum

Cabalists

(wryly grins)

Champion

i'd tell you but I am quite unsure myself. Very new to the world of the mage.

the direct damage of grave rot isn't that great but its benifits for your attacking pet makes it a pretty solid spell to use.
    All that is necessary for the forces of evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing Edmund Burke
    Sin has many tools, but a lie is the handle which fits them all Oliver Wendell Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by kuggy View Post
    i'd tell you but I am quite unsure myself. Very new to the world of the mage.
    I think he also just entered the comedy realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarith View Post
    My PvP souls were 30 points straight into a pyromancer and 10 for arcmage, and the AoE's tended to hit for 200-400 in a group. during dungeons the AoE isn't as much use as a directed DPS on a single target to get them down faster.

But this was my experience but i would say while its the beta try out as much as you can and find a match that fits your game style that you enjoy playing.
    MM, then my stormcaller can aoe much better than pyro. My stormcaller at lvl 19 can do that kind of aoe damage already. And it's instant, not channeled.

Aoe slow, electrified aoe, then spam instant aoe. If they run, instant aoe root.

I would recommend stormcaller for PvP if you have a good group and definitely for PvE. In my group that finished the lvl 25ish guardian instance that require some serious DPS, I was the only real DPS, we had 2 clerics, a cholor, a tank and a bard... So you can see the power of STORMCALLER.
    Last edited by bubulu; 02-11-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominar View Post
    Cabalists

(wryly grins)
    Cab is great for teens and 20s. I was always THE top dps in earlier game warfronts but then lost the power in late 20s and 30s. The mage classes start to shine.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by popsicledeath View Post
    Not sure if it's "good" aoe damage, but was screwing around with a chloro to get upgraded aoe radiant spores and a warlock, and it was at least fun and surprisingly survivable seeing as you're aoe tanking.

Here's some random snippets of video at level 31. I'd barely specced into the soul just to test it, so isn't always as smooth as it could be, and it's just normal and invasion mobs, nothing fancy (I tried elites, nogo lol) but LINK

I didn't fraps it, but had good luck a few levels later fighting mobs equal or slightly higher level, as well, especially since I'd had more practice. And was aoeing the hell out of stuff during one of the zone events with nice success (and imo more importantly nice survivability and even nice group support as I was keeping radiant spores up on mobs). Was fun.
    Wow, that looks fun.26 atm, but that makes me want to play even more!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast