+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leveling a mage. What are the SLOWEST souls to level...?

Default Leveling a mage. What are the SLOWEST souls to level...?

I'm a chloro main, and so far I really do enjoy it with its survivability, especially with an ele summoner secondary.

That being said, I've tried at least 4 other mage specs. Chloro is painfully slow in comparison. No, they're sorta okay in general for leveling, and u tend to die less overall, but the other specs are just that much faster.

Anyone have a list of the souls in leveling speeds currently? This is for fun, so please don't take it too seriously! Chloro's nukes are just weak in comparison with every other class, so lets not talk about downtime, cos really, drinking after 4 fights really only takes a couple of seconds.

Fastest to slowest. (excluding Archmage)

I'm guessing...

#1. Necromancer (PB ftw)
    #2. Pyromancer (high dmg, big pows with other insta cast pow pows)
    #3. Elemental Summoner (nukes increase damage by ele by 50%, damage shield, takes 10% less damage)
    #4. Warlock (life leech, dark touch, voidbolt over and over...)
    #5. Stormcaller (i do love them but they start off weak. Apparently, they're getting redone in beta 7)
    #6. Archon (it does get boring with only 2 attack spells without cd)
    #7. Dominator (Mmm... just not enough strong spells to warrant fast lvling)
    #8. Chloromancer (you don't die, but no other soul has nukes as weak as yours)

Is your list the same as mine? Btw, i've only tried a few mages for lvling so far (and this is to bout 20) so feel free to correct me, or come up with 2 lists from 1->20 and 20->50 or something =D

For the betterment of Rift Mages!!! Booyah!!! \(^o^)/

Plane Touched

I think Chloro is above Dom and Archon definitely. Especially at later mid levels.

Edit: I also think Warlock will do better than Pyro.
    Last edited by Mystryl; 02-11-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Soulwalker

i only played beta 6 and got my necro/lock/dom to 20 but i deff wouldn't choose necro for lvling speed before lvl 16 when you get soul purge which combined with dots actually drops mobs decently fast.

Rift Chaser

From fastest to slowest:

1. stormcaller + warlock
    2. pyromancer+warlock
    3. necromancer+warlock
    4. pyro+elementalist || 4b. anything with dominator main WITH enough points in warlock/pyromancer
    5. chloromancer + warlock
    6. chloromancer+necro
    7. everything else
    8. anything with dominator main without enough points in warlock/pyromancer
    9. anything with archon main

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lyght View Post
    #1. Necromancer (PB ftw)
    #2. Pyromancer (high dmg, big pows with other insta cast pow pows)
    #3. Elemental Summoner (nukes increase damage by ele by 50%, damage shield, takes 10% less damage)
    #4. Warlock (life leech, dark touch, voidbolt over and over...)
    #5. Stormcaller (i do love them but they start off weak. Apparently, they're getting redone in beta 7)
    #6. Archon (it does get boring with only 2 attack spells without cd)
    #7. Dominator (Mmm... just not enough strong spells to warrant fast lvling)
    #8. Chloromancer (you don't die, but no other soul has nukes as weak as yours)
    I am no expert, but could it be that all the souls you put on top are categorized as "offensive souls", while the weaker ones are "support" oder "heal" ?

If #8 is the slowest - then move Archon down to that spot.

Shadowlander

You have it just about right. A little fiddling at the middle and bottom of the list.
    I would move Archon to the bottom, warlock up one maybe, chloro above dom I would think also.
    Some of the lower ones are absolutely wonderful for 2nd/3rd souls to improved grinding performance, however.

warlock main levels pretty quickly if you ask me

Mainly its because the life tap timing, if you get the thing that reapplies life tap with every bolt, you basically end up 'double tapping', with one tic happening just before the bolt lands, and one happening just after.

agree with archon being low, if not bottom. most of the talents affect buffing and most of the tree-opened are group buffs

I wouldn't recommend leveling early on with a Stormcaller. Their damage is all backloaded relying on multiple debuffs that boost their spells' damage...the earliest you can take advantage of this is level 18 with Ice Shear. (Before the Cloudburst nerf you could utilize that mechanic earlier on, but now the base damage and bonus it provides is so low it isn't worth it). In later levels (mid-20s +) they can deal great damage but early on I'd avoid relying on that soul for leveling.

afaik they're nerfing the tanking pet's damage from the Elementalist soul as well so Warlock/Necro/Chloro or some combination of the "death" souls are probably your best bet for quick leveling.

Shadowlander

I've played chloro a ton. With that being said, I wouldn't recommend leveling one from the start. I would however recommend buying a second roll as soon as you have 30 gold and speccing a chloro for healing when a group needs it.
    I leveled as pyro mainly, but I love my chloro roll in groups, raid, pvp, or any situation that requires heals.

I honestly think most people should become good with at least 2 separate rolls, one for solo leveling, and one for grouping. I have 3 rolls that I use, Pyro/Chloro/Storm for solo AoE leveling. Pyro/Ele/Archon for straight up dps in groups or raids, and Chloro/lock/Archon for group heals, buffs, etc. I absolutely love the Chloro, but its just not great for solo play(IMHO), its a bit slow vs my Pyro builds.

With that being said, I would make my first Roll one that is a good lvling spec, then purchase a second roll just to play around with and make specs that I think would be cool. At low levels it is extremely easy(and cheap) to respec. One of the most fun things about this game is finding a spec you like, and fits your play style well. Have fun with it, but don't get frustrated if you find something that doesn't work well for you, just respec until you find one that fits. =)

Rift Chaser

i would say the two pet souls would be the fastest. the pet instant heals itself right after out of combat. you do not. this is right away in thier souls. the other souls that have self heals are little further down thier lines and are lacking with more than one mob beating on you. those that can heal well dps rather slowly. i had problems in beta 5 with the warlock having 2 mobs or more around level 20ish. its heals are channeled and breaks real easy by getting hit. the pyro was even worse since its stance increases damage to yourself and its dps isnt that much more. you can only root one mob.

Found the elementalist paired with pyro rather fast with the only draw back the lack of a heal other than pet sacrifice. but if you dont get hit you dont need to heal yourself. havnt played the necro yet. played a chloro though finding it dps challenged. stormcaller is a power hog atleast for me. ran through alot of drink with it but paired with warlock it could be ok. but it didnt dps as well as a pyro for me.

my next build im going to try is a stormcaller/ warlock but for groups and rifts. there are alot of choices out there just pick which souls you like and experiment. some people play some souls better than they do others. find and stick to those. it is beta afterall not like you re gunna keep this guy. its a game have fun

i recommend necro for the following reasons.

Soul purge. it's great damage, heals u AND ur pet, and NO CD.
    Pet. and it's buffed up. Massive.
    Mana tap ur pet while walking for unlimited mana.
    Very decent damage.
    Can use Grave rot to accumulate deathly callings if u choose another nuke instead of plague bolt. By not using plague bolt, u also save 5 points in the necro tree to use elsewhere.
    Rare, but u can also use two heals on other party members to help out blooming healers. Sure, you lose hp, but soul purge fixes that. Don't forget healing other party members also increases CHARGE.

As a secondary class for necro, i'd recommend warlock. I'd put 3 points to reduce voidbolt cast speed and use that as ur main nuke. You then have the option of reconstructing, (more self heal), lifetap, another long death dot, fear, 25% more charge (which means more soulpurge)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...xtcdVzkhs.Vp0L

NOTE:- remember opportunity makes ur next spell instant cast. That INCLUDES pet summons!

I think i could actually take out a few points at the top of the necro tree to place elsewhere, but i've poor knowledge on the numbers with the 3 high lvl necro pets.

Playing with pyro and stormcaller before, i agree they've nice lvling speeds too, but necro has more self heal capabilities as well as strong damage with more dots. Also, they've 100% got mana problems, which i suppose u can try fix with the right secondary class.

Elemental summoner's pets are getting nerfed. =( ugh... i dunno how good they can be.
    Last edited by Lyght; 02-12-2011 at 05:14 PM.

I agree about necro being the fastest (most survivable) tree.

The ranking (which is slowest) really depends on 2nd and 3rd trees, and the amount of points invested in each. Even something like Arch can be more decent then you might think. Something like Arch/Chloro/Ele is super durable and can easily handle multiple targets at once. Chloro lets you dot/hot everyhing and get some nice healing for you n ur pet.

Did i mention i agree about necro? someone nerf soul purge PLS
    If you find yourself in a 1 on 1 fight, then your tactics suck!

Stormcaller/Ele was very easy to level with... no mana issues unless it was a zone event boss, little hard on the Health if you pulled poorly, but that is also the reason I had Dom as a third soul. Even if my little baby elemental pet dropped, I could just whittle the mobs down to 1 left, and transmogrify it to re cast the elemental.
    Quiet echoes in the wind, spoken words that won't rescind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast