+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Dom only in PvP ?

Default Anyone tried Dom only in PvP ?

The Dominator looks awesome for pvp. Yet if someone has them in the build it is usually for the squirrel only.
    Has anyone tried a Dom only or mainly over lvl 20 in pvp to give some feedback ?
    Please also comment if you have NOT done so and list reasons why, thanks

Telaran

My mage isn't over 20, but in the teens they still have some CC and the biggest problem is it always gets broken in pugs. Unless you're running with a pre-made that is calling kill and CC targets, you're going to feel pretty useless. Nothing like a squirrel that is consistently broken every time you cast it until you get the talent to let it last through a bit of damage if they're over 70% health (and still get the same problem if they're under it).

Most mages are lackluster in PvP in general anyway. They can rack up decent numbers with AoEs or DoTs but it's just fluff dmg that really doesn't do anything useful when the other team has a competent healer with HoTs or AoEs. Chloros are seen as the most useful right now by lots of people because they can do decent damage while keeping one person healed well and fluff AoE the rest.

Honestly I feel necros are better CCers than dominators in pugs as sending a pet in that's being healed by Soul Purge on somebody can effectively take them or several others out of the fight as they either kill the pet or die trying since its damage can't just be ignored. I know I've personally run around like a chicken with its head cut off on a warrior or rogue when I wasn't getting healed and just trying to make room with snares to kite the thing.

Hmm, seems to be consistent with what i read in other threads about mages right now.
    Still, i hopefully will be running with the same team always so that gives hope

Do you know if the Necro Pets each have their own level cap ? Or can each pet be levelled to 50, simply each fulfilling a different purpose ?

I played a Dom for the last day of beta 6 and I have to say, if rogues or warriors are targeting you, you're dead. Part of the reason is that they deal insane amounts of damage but also that they have ways to close in on you while you have no method of getting away. At least with a mage, you can try and run out of range and there's not much they can do.

Another reason why rogues and warriors just kill me is because I don't really have any skills to stop them from attacking me. Transference doesn't last long enough for it to make a large enough difference. Chastise is a 2 second cast, do you really want to stay still for 2 seconds to cast a spell while they're beating on you? Accelerated Decay as far as I can tell only affects their auto-attacks and it usually isn't their auto-attacks that kill me, they need to make it slow down their power/energy regeneration with this skill.

All in all, Doms are great at shutting down healers through Priest's Lament and Arresting Presence as well as Void Shroud. They're pretty decent against mages as well with Arresting Presence.

All in all though, Doms can't do much against rogues and warriors; yes, you can Transmogrify them but you just get stupid people breaking them. I was playing Codex one time trying to take Codex and had someone Transmogrified, and some idiot on my team decides to attack it, breaking it, and then the target came and interrupted me from taking it. Overall, I find that Doms is only good up until a certain point and then you need to put points elsewhere to help you kill because despite some of the skills available that can shut down some people, it can't do anything alone.
    It will always baffle me that people would object to quality of life improvements and just blame it on being lazy.

Prophet of Telara

I primarily played a Dom until my 20's. It's not that great at that point as your Trans is really your only good spell. Everything else is situational. I'll try it again at 32 when they get their AE mez.

I played some with Dom but I didn't level with it so I didn't know a good rotation with it yet. From what I found out though with messing around with it is that if you want to look at the scoreboard then don't play this class. This isn't a glamour class it is a support class.

From what I figured out though is that this soul will be one of the least played souls but it probably will be one of the most OP souls because of all the CC it has. It will take awhile after the launch of the game for this soul to shine and someone to learn it but once someone does, who ever group that mage is in in pvp that group will own.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaedyan View Post
    I primarily played a Dom until my 20's. It's not that great at that point as your Trans is really your only good spell. Everything else is situational. I'll try it again at 32 when they get their AE mez.
    Mass Exhaustion is only useful far and few between. It has a 2 second cast time in a target area, if people move out of the area within those two seconds, you won't affect anyone. Then of course, with it's 25 meter range, you're close enough to be spotted and they'll just focus you down. The duration also isn't very long and even though it gains the benefit of Durable Control, it's hardly noticeable. When next beta comes around, I'm not going to spend the points to get it when it's mostly useless anyway, the points are better spent elsewhere.
    It will always baffle me that people would object to quality of life improvements and just blame it on being lazy.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Grobyc View Post
    Mass Exhaustion is only useful far and few between. It has a 2 second cast time in a target area, if people move out of the area within those two seconds, you won't affect anyone. Then of course, with it's 25 meter range, you're close enough to be spotted and they'll just focus you down. The duration also isn't very long and even though it gains the benefit of Durable Control, it's hardly noticeable. When next beta comes around, I'm not going to spend the points to get it when it's mostly useless anyway, the points are better spent elsewhere.
    You're probably right, but when it lands right it'll have a pretty big impact. I'll keep it in a 2nd or 3rd role.

I played a pure Dominator with extras thrown into Stromcaller in the late 20s up until the level cap, and I believe Dominator is great in pvp, and better relative than most other classes (its definitely not an underplayed class in pvp though). They have a lower focus on dps, but I can't help but feel like they can single handedly change a lot of group dynamics. Even solo I felt they did a good job at keeping most classes at bay, stealth rogues and warriors included but mostly against healers/casters, but I would say they are most disadvantaged against long range melee dps. Transmorgify needs to be downgraded some so it doesn't take as much dmg/isn't as spammable on single targets imo so its not as centralizing as a move.

Edit: A lot of the higher end dominator abilities come in very useful. Storm Shackle + Microburst is an amazing move, as is split personality, and death's edict.
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-11-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    I played a pure Dominator with extras thrown into Stromcaller in the late 20s up until the level cap, and I believe Dominator is great in pvp, and better relative than most other classes (its definitely not an underplayed class in pvp though). They have a lower focus on dps, but I can't help but feel like they can single handedly change a lot of group dynamics. Even solo I felt they did a good job at keeping most classes at bay, stealth rogues and warriors included but mostly against healers/casters, but I would say they are most disadvantaged against long range melee dps. Transmorgify needs to be downgraded some so it doesn't take as much dmg/isn't as spammable on single targets imo so its not as centralizing as a move.
    What else is Dominators going to have if it doesn't have Transmogrify? Besides, you can only cast Transmogrify on the same target twice before they become immune and you can only have one person Transmogrified at a time. And this is on top of all the idiots who beat on the squirrel when there are other targets available. Could you blame it on bad judgement or skill? Probably, but the problem still exists for those who are PuG'ing and I've had my fair share of it.

Transmorgify needs to be downgraded some so it doesn't take as much dmg/isn't as spammable on single targets imo so its not as centralizing as a move.
    I don't think it needs a downgrade atall.
    It costs 18% of your max mana to cast; I can't see anyone 'spamming' it.
    Even with 2 points in Efficient Control, that's still a cost of 16.2% mana.

What else is Dominators going to have if it doesn't have Transmogrify? Besides, you can only cast Transmogrify on the same target twice before they become immune and you can only have one person Transmogrified at a time. And this is on top of all the idiots who beat on the squirrel when there are other targets available. Could you blame it on bad judgement or skill? Probably, but the problem still exists for those who are PuG'ing and I've had my fair share of it.
    I'm not saying get rid of the move, but it needs to be tweaked in just a few regards to balance it out- in fact i think most of its qualities balance out fine. It gets immune after two times but honestly you shouldn't have to trans someone three times in one fight, and even if you do you still have other options. I'm not saying its not an invincible move either, but in relation to other moves it puts too much focus on itself as a gameplay changing move and combined with dominators other cc they really don't need it to be this strong atm. You don't want typical warfront gameplay to get too much focus on cc because only a few classes are really good in that respect and against it, and it will put too much emphasis on having those classes. It being able to take 22.5% dmg at lvl 35 if they are above 70% is one reason, it is more of a long duration stun in some respects. Transmorgify lasts quite a bit though and is reappliable, and has very little class dispel options, there should be single target protections. As a result dominators can pretty much just cast it mid battle and flee too- it maybe should break after you leave a certain range, or die imo.
    edit: from an opponents perspective the only thing that happens atm if they dispel transmorgify is it gets instantly put on them again.
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-11-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Rift Disciple

I haven't played dominator yet, I do play to play one in beta 7 and to duo with a friend of mine on some pvp server at launch.

After reviewing the class the one thing really lacking is access to a mage's version of 'bolt of depravity'. You'll notice there are a couple skills in the dom tree that reduce casting time. The best long cast + high damage spell I could find was 'icicle' from stormcaller. elementalist has a lightning bolt that does far superior damage but its on a cool-down.

There are other spells of course but most are on cool-downs. something that you could just throw out there evey other or third spell would help dom shine brighter.

Having not played it yet though I'm not sure its actually needed.

Rift Master

Dom seems like it would shine at high levels in a premade more than anything else.

Chastise will help you survive vs a warrior/rogue. Just slap it on them and as long as you don't get bursted down they will be very rapidly doing 0 damage to you.

Of course you have transmorg, and a knockback at low levels.

Storm shackle + microburst can really screw with thier ability to catch you, as will grasping void.

Overpowering will can allow you to stop somone in their tracks. As can Deaths Edict Mass Exhaustion Mental Shock, and Disorient.

I think the think about Dom is most of your best abilities are the 20-51 root abilities (pretty much every one of them is an awesome cc tool), until then, the CC isn't so great.

I'm not saying get rid of the move, but it needs to be tweaked in just a few regards to balance it out. It gets immune after two times but honestly you shouldn't have to trans someone three times in one fight, and even if you do you still have other options. I'm not saying its not an invincible move either, but in relation to other moves it puts too much focus on itself as a gameplay changing move and combined with dominators other cc they really don't need it to be this strong atm. You don't want typical warfront gameplay to get too much focus on cc because only a few classes are really good in that respect and against it, and it will put too much emphasis on having those classes. It being able to take 22.5% dmg at lvl 35 if they are above 70% is one reason, it is more of a long duration stun in some respects. Transmorgify lasts quite a bit though and is reappliable, and has very little class dispel options, there should be single target protections. As a result dominators can pretty much just cast it mid battle and flee too- it maybe should break after you leave a certain range, or die imo. It also outprioritizes dom's other confuse effects atm except mass exhaustion.
    I'm not saying that you're saying you want to remove it either, what I meant to say is if Transmogrify is nerfed, what else do they have when it is their staple? You are right in terms of not wanting Warfronts CC-focused, but there are some abilities out there that break CC effects and all classes have their PvP soul. Transmogrify also shares diminishing returns with other CC effects. Keep in mind that in order for Transmogrify to be good, it needs to have a nice chunk of points invested so it's not like just anyone can pick it up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast