+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me about the Stormcaller

Default Please tell me about the Stormcaller

Hello everyone,
    Can you all tell me more about the Stormcaller? Is it THE AOE class for Mages?

Also what other two souls work best with Stormcaller and why? Thanks in advance!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by DaShady View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Can you all tell me more about the Stormcaller? Is it THE AOE class for Mages?

Also what other two souls work best with Stormcaller and why? Thanks in advance!
    Elementalist is best with SC. It has a few very nice synergies. As a third, I recommend Dominator with every build, pretty much.

The Stormcaller is a soul that can do very good AoE damage along with being able to successfully solo quest. They are very good at controlling a fight, and can dish out incredible damage when their target is fully debuffed.

The best soul I've found that synergies well with the soul is the Elementalist. Their low end talents boost the Stromcaller's tree, while the Stormcaller has some talents that buff some the Elementalist's spells.

The third soul can be Dominator, as it's base spells are very good, but situational, for almost every fight. The damage spell you get as a Dominator gets it's buffs from both the Elementalist's tree, as well as the the Stormcallers.

However, I disagree with the above poster when he stats that the Dominator is a good off - soul for almost every build, because I like to take 10 points into the Warlock tree for it's effects.

My build for level 50 on release (but the talent trees are changing, so this doesn't matter right now) is : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Mxssbo.Vdgt00z

Soulwalker

yeah man stormcaller def goes well with elementalist and dom, the first 2 dom nukes you get are very nice instas and both air damage which receive boosts from low tier ele and stormcaller investments

I think every mage soul has AOE in some form, the I think SC does good in that area. SC has two spell type air and water, most( or all) air spell give a status debuff called electrified which stacks up to the 3 times and most water spells ( except cloud burst and ice shear) give a debuff called hypothermia and also slows target movement by 50%. As you spec you into the branch abilities you can make use of the status debuffs to increase damage. Baseline Cloudburst damages is increase by 15% per stack of electrified and ice shear increase air and water damage to target per stack of electrified. Recent changes have hurt cloudburst damage. I chose to focus on the air spells, but if the alpha leak notes are real then, I will also make a role focusing on the water spells. SC has a damage mixed with cc. As a rule it seems water spells have longer cast times than air spells, but do more damage.

For other souls I would recommend elemental for the utility as well as lightning strike. I also use dominator because of the CC and air spells, but I believe some use warlock instead for the utility

Awesome info. Thanks everyone. Im thinking of using the SC for taking down rifts since it can get crazy with lots on the screen aoe would be nice.

Don't under estimate a hybrid Stormcaller/Warlock build. There are some very nice (high up admittedly) Warlock talents.

And someuseful Warlock Root abilities (Sacrifice Life: Mana and Sacrifice Life: Damage).

I havent saved it but i did experiment with an idea of going just enough up the Stormcaller tree to get the highest debuff damage for Air AoE while taking the Warlocks +charge talent, opportunity, +crit and +dmg talents. Can't remember if i had enough points to take Crit in Elementalist though. Will have to try it again during/after Beta 7 with the Water changes coming up to see if its good.

Prophet of Telara

If you like to PvP/Warfront, don't forget the Archmage as an off-soul. An easy +15% damage to players.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaedyan View Post
    If you like to PvP/Warfront, don't forget the Archmage as an off-soul. An easy +15% damage to players.
    At that point would you swap out the Dom or Lock soul for the Archmage?

Prophet of Telara

At that point would you swap out the Dom or Lock soul for the Archmage?
    Depends on playstyle, but I'd probably swap out Lock. Archmage more than makes up for it in damage, plus you have more points to spend in other trees.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Qaedyan View Post
    Depends on playstyle, but I'd probably swap out Lock. Archmage more than makes up for it in damage, plus you have more points to spend in other trees.
    In my opinion since Storm Caller gives buffs to Lightning Spells it would be better for you to keep Dom and switch lock for Achmage since Dominator can benefit from lightning enhance talents from storm caller since Dominator also uses 2 Lightning Spells (as well as certain dmging buffs)

If your going for more of a PvE spec i would say go Storm Caller (Main)/Dominator/Elemental (from 18-24 points in this spec).

For elemental i would go as far into for Charged and Tempest Talents. you can put 24 points in for Exposure and Improved Exposure if you really wanted to.
    Since Forked Lightning from storm caller hits multiple targets you could do a lot of AoE critting in dungeons/raids.
    Dominator in the first set of abilities gives very nice CC control which will always be needed for PvE/Dungeons/Raids.
    The second tier of Dominator gives the talent Acumen which will increase not only your mana but your spell power.

That's what i would recommend
    Last edited by xineo; 02-12-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Awesome info. Thanks everyone. Im thinking of using the SC for taking down rifts since it can get crazy with lots on the screen aoe would be nice.
    Just my opinion as a full-time mage from vanilla WoW, but launching an AOE into a rift is a good way to ensure a quick death. Remember, you are squishy. Rifts are so chaotic and, typically, random PUGs so you have no assurance that anyone is tanking/taunting more than whatever mob spawned next to them on that stage. And healing for rifts is random at best. That AOE is going to attract 3 or 4 mobs to your yummy, cloth-wearing butt. Besides, in the earlier stages, there's hardly enough time to cast a nuke...much less an AOE.

Rift Chaser

I argue that warlock is the best 2nd soul for stormcaller. Seriously, opportunity is goooooooooooooooooolden. Also you get charge faster, you can regenerate mana AND life IN COMBAT. Third soul being dominator you can solo elites EASILY.

Stormcaller was during beta 6:
    great aoe dmg
    very low survivability pve/pvp
    single target dps was meh, actually you would deal better dmg at solo target using aoe spells than single target spells.

Stormcaller is a buildup dps soul, you need to cast a few spells on a target in order to maximize your damage on this target (or more targets).

<-35 mage

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Koffiegast View Post
    I argue that warlock is the best 2nd soul for stormcaller. Seriously, opportunity is goooooooooooooooooolden. Also you get charge faster, you can regenerate mana AND life IN COMBAT. Third soul being dominator you can solo elites EASILY.

Stormcaller was during beta 6:
    great aoe dmg
    very low survivability pve/pvp
    single target dps was meh, actually you would deal better dmg at solo target using aoe spells than single target spells.

Stormcaller is a buildup dps soul, you need to cast a few spells on a target in order to maximize your damage on this target (or more targets).

<-35 mage
    How was stormcaller single target dmg bad =p

Rift Disciple

I'd highly recommend Elemental for damage reduction, +crit change and +crit damage as well as an extremely useful mana regen with Revitalize. That is of course if mana isn't a problem The Warlock Sacrifice isn't nearly as efficient for me - Revitalize channels your charge, so if it's full you can pretty much get all your mana restored and quickly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast