+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: leveling without a pet?!

Default leveling without a pet?!

Hey fellow mages,
    i would love to play a mage as my first alt (main warrior) but i tried several souls in betas and i never could get past lvl6-10.
    The reason: I don't want to have a pet.

I know, that may be silly and all, but lets just envision leveling a mage without a little bugger at your side.

What would be a viable spec/tactic?
    I for myself could not find one that wouldn't let me half dead after each mob.
    Was that because of my low lvl?

Even as Stormcaller, opening with icicle they were on me so fast, it didn't make a difference. Electrocute? yeah, cute indeed... 1min cd and even if its up, 15m pushback meant nothing for the mobs. minor speedbumb until the were hacking at me happily again.

So i am looking for experiences, advise, anything...

try lock/chloro?

beast through their dps with self healing

Telaran

There is just no reason why you shouldnt lvl with a pet :P
    Elemental gives you a tanking pet.. add ┤some chloro for self heal and warlock for AOE and surviveing and you can handle 4-6 mobs at one time!

Quote Originally Posted by Daronix View Post
    There is just no reason why you shouldnt lvl with a pet :P
    i dont want to.
    Thats enough reason for me =P

I just thought maybe others think so, too and have some advice.

Rift Disciple

I understand not wanting a pet i do not like them also. I went stormcaller / warlock back in beta 1 and it wasn't too bad. Now though SC had been hit hard by the nerf bat and really isn't an option anymore. Warlock / Chloro / Dominator is probably your best bet. You'll need the healing from warlock and chloro and the fear and squirrel abilities will help with adds.

Without a pet though you can forget about ever killing anything near elite. As much as i hate using pets, for solo i now use necro / chloro. You kinda have to ask yourself do you hate pets enough to be constantly slowed down by not using one. There are many quests, invasions and rifts you can do with a pet but have no chance without one.

Rift Disciple

Pets without any points (like 0 points necro/elemental) are useless after level 30 because they don't level after that. They don't have enough hp to last very long, they can't keep aggro for more than 2 fireballs.

So unless you are a dedicated pet user, don't worry, you will be without a pet pretty soon. Until then, as there are no defensive mage souls, your best bet might be indeed some chloro healing, as you will be taking a lot of damage with hardly any armor from cloth.

Plane Touched

pets are good until you need to put too many points into the tree to make it worthwhile

Rift Chaser

I'll have a pet but honestly? best way to go about it is level with a friend / guildy.

I'm going to push for 2 or 3 person parties in leveling.

1: Kill **** faster
    2: Kill higher level mobs with little worry
    3: Less downtime - kill **** faster
    4: ... well you get the idea.

2 people? pure dps if you can.
    3? get someone as a healer and mass aoe-mobs down...
    The Telarapedia Wiki
    Information is only good as what you put into it. So what are you waiting for?
    Be Bold, Be Brave. ! Contribute !
    Remember, all other wiki's are but copies of the original Telarapedia wiki
    Want Other Languages? Deutsch Wiki & Franšais Wiki

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by MightyK View Post
    Hey fellow mages,
    i would love to play a mage as my first alt (main warrior) but i tried several souls in betas and i never could get past lvl6-10.
    The reason: I don't want to have a pet.
    If you dont want an AI pet, the best option its to get a MEAT pet, something like a friend who plays warrior or cleric and wanting to group with you.

any other option will cost you in leveling speed pretty heavily, if you dont care go for high survival build like warlock based ones or chloro based ones.

Telaran

A pet can be really helpful, as for me, i'm allergic and prefer not to have one.

Rolled a pyro mage, only played it to lvl 20ish, but i did perfectly fine w/o any pet.

Soulwalker

yeah dude unless your leveling with a friend pet is pretty necessary

you could do without it but why would you? with as easy as it is to switch roles in rift your just punishing yourself, so unless your a sadist id really suggest just sucking it up and rolling with one

Quote Originally Posted by GOBLIN PIZZA View Post
    your just punishing yourself, so unless your a sadist id really suggest just sucking it up and rolling with one
    i think you mean masochist, but then thats exactly the point, i dont want to have to "suck it up"
    i want to play the game my way.
    And seeing that only 2 of 8 mage souls have pets, i really cant think that playing with a pet is the only way its meant to be played... that would be bad design, no?

So thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Anymore experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyK View Post
    i think you mean masochist, but then thats exactly the point, i dont want to have to "suck it up"
    i want to play the game my way.
    And seeing that only 2 of 8 mage souls have pets, i really cant think that playing with a pet is the only way its meant to be played... that would be bad design, no?

So thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Anymore experiences?
    2 / 8 mage souls have a pet. You use 3/8 mage souls for any particular role, chances are pretty good that one of them will have a pet unless you're specifically looking for it not to.

None of the mage souls are meant to be played alone.

Anyhow, one can also say "can i play a mage without casting spells?", sure you can. But you know, you may be gimping yourself for no reason.

Pets help a lot for soloing. They require no point investment until at least level 30.

I hate pets myself, but it kinda makes life a lot easier to have one. If you want to suffer, there are a few options:

Stormcaller - has a lot of roots and slows. Combine it with Dominator for mezzing and you end up with a lot of control tools for keeping mobs at a distance.

Warlock - has life leech which will heal you.

Chloro - has heals, but heals on yourself suck as a chloro as synthesis can only be put on someone else (i.e. pet).

All mages are perfectly capable of killing solo quest mobs without a pet. It's just unnecessarily more dangerous. because basically, whatever you're doing to the mob, you can be doing the exact same thing to the mob, only with the mob hitting pet instead of you. you gain absolutely nothing by losing pet other than personal playstyle.

To solo elites is going to be a lot tougher without a mob. I've not tried doing so with crowd control, etc.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

I agree completely! I would much rather not have a pet. Though the build I'm currently testing takes both pet souls i do not use either. I have had little to no problems soloing and my DPS in instances is amazingly strong. I have not had the chance to test at 50 but this is the build I'm aiming for.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....eeRAkqqek.xzc

I've had great luck with the build so far mainly looking at end game raiding. The end ability is amazing in the lock tree, and with Radiate Death refreshing both Dark Touch, Grasp, and spreading it, all i can do is hope rumors are true that they will allow more DoT's to be able to crit. Hence making the 5 pts in Biting Cold all the more advantageous.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Roarnak View Post
    I agree completely! I would much rather not have a pet. Though the build I'm currently testing takes both pet souls i do not use either. I have had little to no problems soloing and my DPS in instances is amazingly strong. I have not had the chance to test at 50 but this is the build I'm aiming for.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....eeRAkqqek.xzc

I've had great luck with the build so far mainly looking at end game raiding. The end ability is amazing in the lock tree, and with Radiate Death refreshing both Dark Touch, Grasp, and spreading it, all i can do is hope rumors are true that they will allow more DoT's to be able to crit. Hence making the 5 pts in Biting Cold all the more advantageous.
    honestly, you aren't getting anything worthwhile out of the necro tree. I'd recommend picking up Tempest from ele for the extra crit damage, especially when more dots can crit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast