+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: leveling without a pet?!

  1. #1
    Plane Touched MightyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    179

    Default leveling without a pet?!

    Hey fellow mages,
    i would love to play a mage as my first alt (main warrior) but i tried several souls in betas and i never could get past lvl6-10.
    The reason: I don't want to have a pet.

    I know, that may be silly and all, but lets just envision leveling a mage without a little bugger at your side.

    What would be a viable spec/tactic?
    I for myself could not find one that wouldn't let me half dead after each mob.
    Was that because of my low lvl?

    Even as Stormcaller, opening with icicle they were on me so fast, it didn't make a difference. Electrocute? yeah, cute indeed... 1min cd and even if its up, 15m pushback meant nothing for the mobs. minor speedbumb until the were hacking at me happily again.

    So i am looking for experiences, advise, anything...

  2. #2
    Telaran daddy december's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    75

    Default

    try lock/chloro?

    beast through their dps with self healing

  3. #3
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51

    Default

    There is just no reason why you shouldnt lvl with a pet :P
    Elemental gives you a tanking pet.. add ┤some chloro for self heal and warlock for AOE and surviveing and you can handle 4-6 mobs at one time!

  4. #4
    Plane Touched MightyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daronix View Post
    There is just no reason why you shouldnt lvl with a pet :P
    i dont want to.
    Thats enough reason for me =P

    I just thought maybe others think so, too and have some advice.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    107

    Default

    I understand not wanting a pet i do not like them also. I went stormcaller / warlock back in beta 1 and it wasn't too bad. Now though SC had been hit hard by the nerf bat and really isn't an option anymore. Warlock / Chloro / Dominator is probably your best bet. You'll need the healing from warlock and chloro and the fear and squirrel abilities will help with adds.

    Without a pet though you can forget about ever killing anything near elite. As much as i hate using pets, for solo i now use necro / chloro. You kinda have to ask yourself do you hate pets enough to be constantly slowed down by not using one. There are many quests, invasions and rifts you can do with a pet but have no chance without one.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Pets without any points (like 0 points necro/elemental) are useless after level 30 because they don't level after that. They don't have enough hp to last very long, they can't keep aggro for more than 2 fireballs.

    So unless you are a dedicated pet user, don't worry, you will be without a pet pretty soon. Until then, as there are no defensive mage souls, your best bet might be indeed some chloro healing, as you will be taking a lot of damage with hardly any armor from cloth.

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    pets are good until you need to put too many points into the tree to make it worthwhile

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    372

    Default

    I'll have a pet but honestly? best way to go about it is level with a friend / guildy.

    I'm going to push for 2 or 3 person parties in leveling.

    1: Kill **** faster
    2: Kill higher level mobs with little worry
    3: Less downtime - kill **** faster
    4: ... well you get the idea.

    2 people? pure dps if you can.
    3? get someone as a healer and mass aoe-mobs down...
    The Telarapedia Wiki
    Information is only good as what you put into it. So what are you waiting for?
    Be Bold, Be Brave. ! Contribute !
    Remember, all other wiki's are but copies of the original Telarapedia wiki
    Want Other Languages? Deutsch Wiki & Franšais Wiki

  9. #9
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyK View Post
    Hey fellow mages,
    i would love to play a mage as my first alt (main warrior) but i tried several souls in betas and i never could get past lvl6-10.
    The reason: I don't want to have a pet.
    If you dont want an AI pet, the best option its to get a MEAT pet, something like a friend who plays warrior or cleric and wanting to group with you.

    any other option will cost you in leveling speed pretty heavily, if you dont care go for high survival build like warlock based ones or chloro based ones.

  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    A pet can be really helpful, as for me, i'm allergic and prefer not to have one.

    Rolled a pyro mage, only played it to lvl 20ish, but i did perfectly fine w/o any pet.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    17

    Default

    yeah dude unless your leveling with a friend pet is pretty necessary

    you could do without it but why would you? with as easy as it is to switch roles in rift your just punishing yourself, so unless your a sadist id really suggest just sucking it up and rolling with one

  12. #12
    Plane Touched MightyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GOBLIN PIZZA View Post
    your just punishing yourself, so unless your a sadist id really suggest just sucking it up and rolling with one
    i think you mean masochist, but then thats exactly the point, i dont want to have to "suck it up"
    i want to play the game my way.
    And seeing that only 2 of 8 mage souls have pets, i really cant think that playing with a pet is the only way its meant to be played... that would be bad design, no?

    So thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Anymore experiences?

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara Arieste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyK View Post
    i think you mean masochist, but then thats exactly the point, i dont want to have to "suck it up"
    i want to play the game my way.
    And seeing that only 2 of 8 mage souls have pets, i really cant think that playing with a pet is the only way its meant to be played... that would be bad design, no?

    So thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Anymore experiences?
    2 / 8 mage souls have a pet. You use 3/8 mage souls for any particular role, chances are pretty good that one of them will have a pet unless you're specifically looking for it not to.

    None of the mage souls are meant to be played alone.

    Anyhow, one can also say "can i play a mage without casting spells?", sure you can. But you know, you may be gimping yourself for no reason.

    Pets help a lot for soloing. They require no point investment until at least level 30.

    I hate pets myself, but it kinda makes life a lot easier to have one. If you want to suffer, there are a few options:

    Stormcaller - has a lot of roots and slows. Combine it with Dominator for mezzing and you end up with a lot of control tools for keeping mobs at a distance.

    Warlock - has life leech which will heal you.

    Chloro - has heals, but heals on yourself suck as a chloro as synthesis can only be put on someone else (i.e. pet).

    All mages are perfectly capable of killing solo quest mobs without a pet. It's just unnecessarily more dangerous. because basically, whatever you're doing to the mob, you can be doing the exact same thing to the mob, only with the mob hitting pet instead of you. you gain absolutely nothing by losing pet other than personal playstyle.

    To solo elites is going to be a lot tougher without a mob. I've not tried doing so with crowd control, etc.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

  14. #14
    Telaran Roarnak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit, Mi.
    Posts
    56

    Default

    I agree completely! I would much rather not have a pet. Though the build I'm currently testing takes both pet souls i do not use either. I have had little to no problems soloing and my DPS in instances is amazingly strong. I have not had the chance to test at 50 but this is the build I'm aiming for.

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....eeRAkqqek.xzc

    I've had great luck with the build so far mainly looking at end game raiding. The end ability is amazing in the lock tree, and with Radiate Death refreshing both Dark Touch, Grasp, and spreading it, all i can do is hope rumors are true that they will allow more DoT's to be able to crit. Hence making the 5 pts in Biting Cold all the more advantageous.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roarnak View Post
    I agree completely! I would much rather not have a pet. Though the build I'm currently testing takes both pet souls i do not use either. I have had little to no problems soloing and my DPS in instances is amazingly strong. I have not had the chance to test at 50 but this is the build I'm aiming for.

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....eeRAkqqek.xzc

    I've had great luck with the build so far mainly looking at end game raiding. The end ability is amazing in the lock tree, and with Radiate Death refreshing both Dark Touch, Grasp, and spreading it, all i can do is hope rumors are true that they will allow more DoT's to be able to crit. Hence making the 5 pts in Biting Cold all the more advantageous.
    honestly, you aren't getting anything worthwhile out of the necro tree. I'd recommend picking up Tempest from ele for the extra crit damage, especially when more dots can crit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts