+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I was wondering if a Archon/Dominator would be viable?

Shadowlander

Default I was wondering if a Archon/Dominator would be viable?

I was trying to find a class/combo that was mainly end game PVE/PVP buffing/debuffing caster.

Since you can make several roles for your mage, I am sure I will roll a few cookie cutter specs but I tried a little of this spec out too. Elementalist/Storm, Necro/Warlock et.
    I didn't get to play it all that much only to level 10ish but it felt ok. I was just thinking using theorycrafting, do you think it will work?

So it's more of a buffer/debuffer/cc
    So will it work intheory or is it overload? Seems like too much to do. I dunno.
    I am not looking for dps just more of a true Support role.

Help with any critque. I am open minded.
    peace

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...kbz.gsVzizV0bo

Telaran

The main issue I see with a Dom/Archon build is the lack of survivability. Archons/Dominators will be focused or CCed with fairly high priority. This build not only offers little in the way of survivability but by using a lot of the archon abilities you are giving away even more survivability.

I think you would be better going with a Dom or an Archon and combining them for survivability.

Obviously this is PvP based thought. PvE I don't see dominator being worth using at any high points because bosses aren't going to get silenced/stunned/slowed etc.

no, i don't think so. Archon and dominator seem to be a bad pairing for a few reasons.
    It sounds like it would be good because of them both being "support" but they don't cover either of each others weaknesses well (dps/def wise,and both seem weak against the same class types), both are more focused and gain a lot of their strength on high end tree abilities, lack elemental synergy (overrated but still), and most of archons support buffs are more helpful for higher dps classes imo.
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-10-2011 at 10:43 PM.

I took Elementalist / Archon /Dominator and I loved it. For PvE purposes I didn't get too deep into Dominator but the Polymorph was very useful if I pulled more than I could handle at one time. In PvP Dominator was a little more fun, and I dropped some Elementalist points to pump up Archon as well.

Is it the "best" build? No, probably not, but I had fun playing it. To me that's the most important part.

Champion of Telara

One of my top cc/support role is Archon/Domiantor/Elementalist .. not only is it fun to play, but it is byfar one of the best support build in the game... It is most optimal to play this build with no Bards around..
    With a fairly hybrid 33/33 you will consistently boost your parties stats and put almost all adds in a confused state to buy time for your party. Reflective presence is also a very good ability to have when your party is in a tough situation..

I would never use this in the warfronts or pvp in general, simply because I would die at an insane speed.. unless your party is that well coordinated..

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Skjoldur View Post
    I took Elementalist / Archon /Dominator and I loved it. For PvE purposes I didn't get too deep into Dominator but the Polymorph was very useful if I pulled more than I could handle at one time. In PvP Dominator was a little more fun, and I dropped some Elementalist points to pump up Archon as well.

Is it the "best" build? No, probably not, but I had fun playing it. To me that's the most important part.
    As long as you have fun >.>b
    Last edited by Xelfer; 02-10-2011 at 11:10 PM.

As far as raiding is concerned, an Archon with enough points in Dominator for Durable Control is saving the raid from having to potentially have someone take up a spot as a Dominator, should there be no-one in the raid choosing to primary as a Dominator. And since you're an Archon and KNOW your DPS won't add up, you really serving dual duties with an Archon/Dominator spec. I intend to have a similar build on backup myself.
    Last edited by RadioD; 02-10-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by RadioD View Post
    As far as raiding is concerned, an Archon with enough points in Dominator for Durable Control is saving the raid from having to potentially have someone take up a spot as a Dominator, should there be no-one in the raid choosing to primary as a Dominator. And since you're an Archon and KNOW your DPS won't add up, you really serving dual duties with an Archon/Dominator spec. I intend to have a similar build on backup myself.
    Nice constructive post. I am trying for the same thing. Since we only get 4 slots per archtype I wanted to try to "kill two birds"
    I am not looking for DPS and this would probably be my 4th slot for mage. I just love support classes and I am an altaholic sooo.
    Elementalist/Storm slot 1
    Necro/Lock slot 2
    Chloromancer/??? I love pet classes too much not do go that route but I rather have different flavors to rock with.
    Archon/Dominator

I dunno how raids will work either. How many players? 10/20/40?
    This makes a big difference.
    thanks so far guys.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
    Obviously this is PvP based thought. PvE I don't see dominator being worth using at any high points because bosses aren't going to get silenced/stunned/slowed etc.
    Ayup - and not only that, a lot of the time the small fry can't be CCed either. Unless you run with an inept tank, and why would you, there's no reason to go Dom for pve. It's tank and aoe burn. EQ2 all over again. Mayyybe 18 points for the instant trans, but your tank should be aware enough for that to be meaningless.

Taking lessons from EQ2 PVE, it might be best to invest in stuff that pumps out good aoe damage RIGHT NOW, not in 8-10 seconds when your debuffs have been applied. Obviously you'd have to healing spec for boss fights so the cleric and rogue get to go single target dps for that one.

So, er, I suppose the idea is fun and should work fine, but currently it doesn't, and I don't think we'll see less CC immune mobs but rather entirely the opposite, as we progress in the game.
    Cut my online RPG teeth in LPMUDs, playing and coding. Geting to max level in under 200d /played is too fast! We need FFA PVP and proper death penalty! (not really)

+ Reply to Thread