+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For the WoW mages now in RIFT . . .

Shadowlander

Default For the WoW mages now in RIFT . . .

This is just my initial observation, but forget everything you know your WoW mage to be. Mages are not glass cannons in RIFT and probably never will be. What they are is a very versatile class, maybe the most complex to master. Although the majority of you will probably maximize your dps, Mages are not pure dps toons. Mages are best utilized as support, and if you can do that well you will always have a place in a group. Maybe Trion will bless mages with more dps, maybe not. I don't expect it. But they are still damn fun to play.

anyway, just my 2 cents . . .

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by bucpar View Post
    This is just my initial observation, but forget everything you know your WoW mage to be. Mages are not glass cannons in RIFT and probably never will be. What they are is a very versatile class, maybe the most complex to master. Although the majority of you will probably maximize your dps, Mages are not pure dps toons. Mages are best utilized as support, and if you can do that well you will always have a place in a group. Maybe Trion will bless mages with more dps, maybe not. I don't expect it. But they are still damn fun to play.

if you build them right, they can be glass cannons.. however this game is still in beta, so saying you dont think Trion will change anything before release is kind of a wild speculation.

Soulwalker

I agree with your observation but do you think the in-game experience matches Trion's description of mage?

"Devastating long-range combatants, the arcane powers Mages wield can tear through any opponent, regardless of armor. While Mages are renowned as a fearsome offensive force on the field of battle, a number of orders specialize in potent support and healing magic as well."

http://riftgame.com/en/classes/mage/index.php

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by sjak; 02-10-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by sjak View Post
    I agree with your observation but do you think the in-game experience matches Trion's description of mage?

"Devastating long-range combatants, the arcane powers Mages wield can tear through any opponent, regardless of armor. While Mages are renowned as a fearsome offensive force on the field of battle, a number of orders specialize in potent support and healing magic as well."

http://riftgame.com/en/classes/mage/index.php

Let me know what you think.
    No. But then again the descriptions of all classes seem somewhat overstated. Maybe the descriptions apply to endgame, I hope so.

Mages are not pure DPS toons atm because the pure DPS trees are not good enough to justify a pure DPS spec.

It's not becasue Trion's intention is to make mages only utility/support. It's just that those are the only viable specs atm.
    If there were no full-frontal-all-out-DMG souls for mages to pick I might agree with you. But as it stands pyro is a pure DMG spec but is lacking in the punch department.

This is like saying that Cleric is not a tank calling. Atm it isn't. But that's not because they aren't meant to. It's simply because the tree is not good enough.

It's "there", it's just needs a well deserved buff.

Y'know what I'm sayin'?
    Last edited by Wkote; 02-10-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by freeze View Post
    if you build them right, they can be glass cannons.. however this game is still in beta, so saying you dont think Trion will change anything before release is kind of a wild speculation.
    Built right, so far the dps can be comparable to other classes. We are getting close to final, latest patch notes show little dps love to mages. Just my opinion, but I think mages now are close to where Trion wants them to be.

Soulwalker

latest patch notes show little dps love to mages.
    Where are these patch notes? Thanks!

Soulwalker

I am currently running a pyro in the beta and i am not seeing much of a problem with dps so far, although i would not really call the pyro a glass cannon more like a glass nuke.

actually I wouldn't generalize mages into anything. Calling is really just a options list for abilities. they can be healer/dps/support/cc, etc... as well as glass cannons/dps when specced right. The people asking for dmg buffs really need to be more specific on classes they are talking about more imo too. I don't think the people who are really mean giving it to chloro or dom but they become generalized into it often.
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-10-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Shadowlander

Mages arent pure dps class. they are HYBRID with truckloads of dps with support. The thing is to build and l2p them right. Give dps meter to prove it

It's funny that you mention WoW mages, when right now mages aren't the highest dps class in WoW either.

It's a bit premature to be talking about class balance when the beta isn't over and the game hasn't even been released yet. I just boggle at the people saying stuff like "remove mages, they're useless" etc. You have no idea how much I am looking forward to playing my mage (chloromancer all the way) in the next beta.

The people who only care about being the most overpowered DPS king is never going to be happy for long. I say just pick a class you enjoy playing because it's FUN. That's what it should be about.

It's premature to say anything is premature and it's seldom heeded when it's prematurely said.

Yeah - the advice about not getting gung-ho excited thinking there's going to be a wide variety of BOOM! BOOM! style Mages in this game is accurate.

Some day, some where, over the rainbow, in another dimension of sight and sound, they could be made Gods of the World!!!!!

But the simple, grounded, bottom line fact based upon experience to date is: don't get excited about it.

This is a very annoying statement, like maybe some people don't want to be a "support" class, maybe some people want to ****ing DPS as a ****ing mage!
    Malachi of Deicide | Defiant on Sunrest

Can you summon up a few stacks of mage water please?

every calling has a pure dps spec, there is no reason mages shouldnt as well, and due to armor it should be top dps

if someone wants to spec pure dps they should be able to, if they want to go for some utility and sacrifice some dps they should be able to, that was the whole point of the soul system.

ATM they are basically forcing you to add utility instead of going full on dps, since it doesn't stack up with other callings full dps specs. Broken imo.
    Last edited by Rottweiler-STi; 02-10-2011 at 05:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast