Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stormcaller... How exactly to build skill tree?

Default Stormcaller... How exactly to build skill tree?

Hi, how exactly are you supposed to build the skill tree for the stormcaller?

I love disabling, but i find when I put 5 points into hypothermia, i'm missing out on the electric tree. Also, I'm just not sure how to spec further down the tree. Some are pretty obviously awesome for damage, but... i'm considering not putting the 10 points for hypothermia and for -20% cast time for water/+10% spell focus.

Btw, what is spell focus for water mean??? less chance to be resisted?

The only spell i use for water that has a cast time is usually icicle, and i'll survive with it's 2.5 sec cast time.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z_y_..VG0xbdssbo

this is how i intend to get to the 31 point skill, but... arghhhh i need more points, can someone have a look at it and help me out?

Also, this tree is a MANA BEAST, and i'm always oom. What tree would support it best for increase mana regen, AND more damage?

Thanks!!!

Shadowlander

Default to the OP

Hi, you could try something like this
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0xx0tscbo.McVo
    you would would out of combat mana regen with Revitalize from the Elemental tree and in combat mana regeneration
    from Mana Wrench in the Dom tree.
    Or you could dump the points in Dom and go up and get the 31 point talent in the Elemental tree to increase your damage
    by 50% for 15 seconds. Either would be a good start

P.S. I forgot to mention that the beta 7 patch notes show a slight change to SC tree, they are getting rid of the in-combat mana regen
    skill and making a few tweaks to some of the skills damage. Might want to check back after the official patch notes drop to
    confirm.
    Last edited by brokenronin; 02-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Sunder is in Open Recruitment and accepting all Archetypes/Roles - Visit www.sunder-guild.com

Omg, wait, i think i got something wrong, does Ice shear stack 3 times???

That means with Deadly shards, and with 3 electrified, u get 42% per stack so it goes up to 126% extra DAMAGE??? please tell me i'm wrong?!?!?

Shadowlander

Default :)

i'll let you figure that one out for yourself there

Sunder is in Open Recruitment and accepting all Archetypes/Roles - Visit www.sunder-guild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lyght View Post
    Omg, wait, i think i got something wrong, does Ice shear stack 3 times???

That means with Deadly shards, and with 3 electrified, u get 42% per stack so it goes up to 126% extra DAMAGE??? please tell me i'm wrong?!?!?
    No, the damage is increased by the number of electiried debuffs you have on the target. So, 42% fully talented is the max ice shear will net you.

Also, you can take the hypothermia and the 10% air crit chance in the firs tier, nothing is stoping you. I took the elemental build along with drominator becasue it's the two best souls to go with maining a strormcaller. I think I ended up with 34 points in the SC tree alone, and enough for some really nice talents in Elemental.

A lot of it depends on whether you're looking for a PvE or PvP build, and if you're going to be running with a group or soloing/pugging mostly...for PvE cast times don't matter as much and you can mostly ignore CC or defensive abilities. For PvP you want to have lower cast times and good deal of CC and survivability.

As the other poster mentioned whether the leaked patch notes are accurate will also change the way the class plays a good bit. At the moment there is no incentive to increase your water damage since the base damage on those spells are so low you want to focus on air/electric abilities. With Recharge you also don't have to worry about mana quite as much. If the patch notes are accurate, water damage will probably become the hardest hitting...and we will have to pair with another tree that increases mana regen in combat (such as Mana Wrench from the Dom tree).

Yes, the spell focus from CWT means they become harder to resist.

Ascendant

* New Ability Building Storm: Increases the critical hit damage bonus of Hypothermia-causing spells by 50%. Each damaging spell cast by the Stormcaller applies a stacking debuff on the enemy for 10 seconds, increasing the chance for the next Hypothermia-causing spell to critically hit by 10% per stack.
    * New Branch Ability Favorable Conditions: Each stack of Building Storm increases the critical strike chance of Hypothermia-causing spells by an additional 5-10% per stack. Tier 3 branch ability, requires Building Storm in order to purchase.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...p0x.x0tkrts0dR

the 1/5 light mastery, recharge and imp recharge reflect those new abilities. Incoming 330% crit damage frost nukes?

Rift Disciple

Check this out!

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....V0xx0toc.VdMx

+50% dmg to transmogrify Target + 60% Crit damage for lightning spells + high crit chance for lightning spells + Lightning Strike Spell = (Theory Craftinf) say at lvl 50 say your Lightning strike hits for 1.5k normally since mine hit for roughly 450-500 at lvl 23 id say 1.5k is a fair guestimate for lvl increase and gear improvements.

1.5k + (150% normal crit + 50% Transmogrify buff + 60% to lightning spell crits) 260% = 5400 damage

That would be a 5400 Crit...from one spell!

Assuming health lvls at lvl 50 are roughly 6-8k, that's pretty huge.

Not to mention you get 50% increase to spell cast afterwards and that you stll have a insta cast lightning spell that seems pretty glass cannon to me.
    Last edited by xineo; 02-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Rift Disciple

Storm is getting some pretty big changes (looks like pretty much the only mage soul that is)
    So I would wait till next beta before doing to much build speculation with them.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Barov View Post
    Storm is getting some pretty big changes (looks like pretty much the only mage soul that is)
    So I would wait till next beta before doing to much build speculation with them.
    Wouldn't worry about it considering the major factor from storm caller for this build is High Voltage.

And i didn't even take into consider the +damage talents. Really don't think it would change at all but i'm going to check alpha notes to verify.

Just checked them, and doesn't seem to effect it at all. Actually it helps.

oh wow i didn't even think about overpowering will. You could pull the same thing off 2 times in a row.
    Last edited by xineo; 02-10-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Champion of Telara

With the next patch Stormcaller will finally be playable .. I hope these patch notes are real >.>

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nick2412 View Post
    With the next patch Stormcaller will finally be playable .. I hope these patch notes are real >.>
    I really hope so to. After the massive nerf to cloudburst (which was probably needed) we have been pretty screwed.

Rift Disciple

I think i have pysched myself out.

Now realizing at lvl 50 i could pull off (2) 5.4k crits without a player even getting to me, has me stoked.
    Really hope the numbers stay relevant through patches.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Barov View Post
    I really hope so to. After the massive nerf to cloudburst (which was probably needed) we have been pretty screwed.
    I know the feeling the last beta forced me to play mediocre pyromancer.. as I needed my nuking fix.. it was pretty sad..

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nick2412 View Post
    I know the feeling the last beta forced me to play mediocre pyromancer.. as I needed my nuking fix.. it was pretty sad..
    I dropped nuking altogether and just healed as chloro. I got tired of dieing before doing any reasonable damage.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast