+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PVP While levling and Endgame ideas

Telaran

Question PVP While levling and Endgame ideas

The pvp of mages is not easy and i have alot of toughts crossing my mind... Pyro seem to be good for burst but kinda useless, Dominator seem to be good for CC but is hard to combine with something for good dps, in the case Warlock should be good with Dominator. Chloromancer seem to low in dps and also hard to combine wich i feel is more for raids and lvling. Elemental is also something that just assists. and necromancer feels like its more for solo. Archon for raids (PVE) and stormcaller need to be maxed and will result in something similar to Pyro. The idea of Archmage is good but you cant put to many points there because its just a suppliment for the other trees.

I want a spec that will be good in arena from 2v2 - 5v5 and also pretty good in Battlegrounds. this is one spec i want you guys to look at and ofcourse you could come with ideas with any combination you think might be worthy

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvs0.eeRAkqqek.MR.E

Telaran

Default RE: Also

Also i think CC will be very important in mages way of playing as it seems and im afraid this specc will have to little points in Dominator so I have a little problem with balancing this trees because i do want the last warlock ability... Take in notice that it should also work with soloing without healer against maybee 2-3 players... :P

Telaran

Better think of something that is good in world pvp and PVE as I doubt arenas will make it into this game.

Also, Warfronts.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Daronix View Post
    The pvp of mages is not easy and i have alot of toughts crossing my mind... Pyro seem to be good for burst but kinda useless, Dominator seem to be good for CC but is hard to combine with something for good dps, in the case Warlock should be good with Dominator. Chloromancer seem to low in dps and also hard to combine wich i feel is more for raids and lvling. Elemental is also something that just assists. and necromancer feels like its more for solo. Archon for raids (PVE) and stormcaller need to be maxed and will result in something similar to Pyro. The idea of Archmage is good but you cant put to many points there because its just a suppliment for the other trees.

I want a spec that will be good in arena from 2v2 - 5v5 and also pretty good in Battlegrounds. this is one spec i want you guys to look at and ofcourse you could come with ideas with any combination you think might be worthy

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvs0.eeRAkqqek.MR.E

This is true if our instants proc both Wildfire and Pyromancers armor, which is around a 1% chance (just pulled that number out of thin air, but it cant be far off )

Telaran

Default hmm

Well what spec you reccomend? what is going to be a good spec in wawrfronts if you looking at this spec and also how do you know arena will not make it into this game ?

Rift Master

Well what spec you reccomend? what is going to be a good spec in wawrfronts if you looking at this spec and also how do you know arena will not make it into this game ?
    because trion specifically said no to arena in many interviews.
    what's good in warfronts route mostly around how you get there - solo, premade focused around somebody else, premade focused around you.
    Last edited by Nix-zero; 02-10-2011 at 07:27 AM.

Rift Disciple

Warlock might be the best single target DPS class. Hell, I dont know that mages have found a great single target DPS soul yet, though some have had success with some souls.

Look at the pyros cast times, those long cast times aren't real viable for something like the arena especially. If you stop for 4.8 seconds to cast your best damage spell, your in trouble.

Telaran

Idd but do you know how they think of giving the pvp gear out, like highwarlord system in vanilla wow? also the spec im looking for is mostly for solo. like 1v1 1v2 1v3 in world pvp and warfronts. a spec that involves damage, CC and survivability? and warlock, archmage dominator or warlock, stormcaller, archmage and finally warlock, necromancer and archmage seem to be a good combination. what do you think of that?

Telaran

doesnt feel that its possible to leave archmage out of the picture.

Telaran

anyone have ideas of a solid pvp spec that is mathematicly good calculated?

Telaran

another issue i experienced is that combining to dps soul-trees will be like cookie on cookie because you will have an issue of choosing spells that gives about the same dmg. you want to use the trees for different stats, like aoe, CC, damge etc. IMO

Dominator seem to be good for CC but is hard to combine with something for good dps, in the case Warlock should be good with Dominator.:
    Actually I'm kind of of the opinion that warlock and dominator is not a good combination. They conflict in ways.
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-10-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    Actually I'm kind of of the opinion that warlock and dominator is not a good combination. They conflict in ways.
    in what ways?:S

I wrote this down in the other thread, sorry if its a lot of information
    but basically just my thoughts (and i don't think its necessary bad there are just better combinations for dom imo):

-Warlock is focused on damage over time and longer term dmg to kill enemies. Crowd control is focused on short term bursts, this often means you need make cc last longer as a result for a similar effect (although dots can be powerful in this game). And the dot can interfere with break on dmg spells too if that option is needed.
    -The single target fear is, to my understanding, useless to Dominator. Good in its own right, but it shares almost all its situational uses with transmorgify which: does not have a cast time, is castable on the move, has a longer duration, can take more dmg with the upgrade in durable control, and shares the same? diminishing returns from what I've heard.
    -The warlock stun has a 2.5 second duration, but its instant cast so 1.5 seconds of that duration you will already be spending during your gcd, depending on how long it gets to them. Add this to Death's Edict, and Mental Shock in the dominator tree which are overall better stun setups, using these two ahead of improved dark fury means the enemy should have immunity by that point.
    -The 70% snare is a good choice for anti melee, but considering stormcaller has no less than 5 snares (up to 75%) and 3 aoe snares, and knockbacks and freezes....
    -Warlock has a few health gain spells that are really useful, especially against ranged melee, but since dominator is inherently pretty squishy and its gameplay is focused around disabling enemies usually by the time they are taking dmg the fight won't last much longer (but not always). These same moves on the other hand would imo pair up with chloromancer really well because of their gameplay mechanics.
    -The stifle is one thing I really like about warlock, an issue though in their pairing is that dominator already has some focus on anti mage/cleric gameplay, while warlock strengthens this they both really don't compliment each other's weaknesses vs. warrior and rogue type classes. Another is that in order to get the 5second stifle you by nature have to give up the 5second stun in Dominator tree since the points cannot be split in a way to get the two. And the stun is much better.
    -The spell reduction in opportunity is hard to work into dominator, as it uses a fair amount of instant cast and 1.5 second cast time spells (and 2second spells that get reduced to 1.5 seconds from quick thinking after a cc), there is a very good chance it will just end up being applied to a spell that cannot be reduced cast time wise, or if it does the gcd will end up making it disabled for the same overall period.
    -In order to get mass fear you'd have to give up a lot of cc/debuffs in the dominator tree, including mass exhaustion (aoe confuse), mental shock, death's edict, split personality and chastise. So finally my last point is that warlock and dominator cc do not mix/balance each other, they actually in many ways conflict.
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-10-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    I wrote this down in the other thread, sorry if its a lot of information
    but basically just my thoughts (and i don't think its necessary bad there are just better combinations for dom imo):

-Warlock is focused on damage over time and longer term dmg to kill enemies. Crowd control is focused on short term bursts, this often means you need make cc last longer as a result for a similar effect (although dots can be powerful in this game). And the dot can interfere with break on dmg spells too if that option is needed.
    -The single target fear is, to my understanding, useless to Dominator. Good in its own right, but it shares almost all its situational uses with transmorgify which: does not have a cast time, is castable on the move, has a longer duration, can take more dmg with the upgrade in durable control, and shares the same? diminishing returns from what I've heard.
    -The warlock stun has a 2.5 second duration, but its instant cast so 1.5 seconds of that duration you will already be spending during your gcd, depending on how long it gets to them. Add this to Death's Edict, and Mental Shock in the dominator tree which are overall better stun setups, using these two ahead of improved dark fury means the enemy should have immunity by that point.
    -The 70% snare is a good choice for anti melee, but considering stormcaller has no less than 5 snares (up to 75%) and 3 aoe snares, and knockbacks and freezes....
    -Warlock has a few health gain spells that are really useful, especially against ranged melee, but since dominator is inherently pretty squishy and its gameplay is focused around disabling enemies usually by the time they are taking dmg the fight won't last much longer (but not always). These same moves on the other hand would imo pair up with chloromancer really well because of their gameplay mechanics.
    -The stifle is one thing I really like about warlock, an issue though in their pairing is that dominator already has some focus on anti mage/cleric gameplay, while warlock strengthens this they both really don't compliment each other's weaknesses vs. warrior and rogue type classes. Another is that in order to get the 5second stifle you by nature have to give up the 5second stun in Dominator tree since the points cannot be split in a way to get the two. And the stun is much better.
    -The spell reduction in opportunity is hard to work into dominator, as it uses a fair amount of instant cast and 1.5 second cast time spells (and 2second spells that get reduced to 1.5 seconds from quick thinking after a cc), there is a very good chance it will just end up being applied to a spell that cannot be reduced cast time wise, or if it does the gcd will end up making it disabled for the same overall period.
    -In order to get mass fear you'd have to give up a lot of cc/debuffs in the dominator tree, including mass exhaustion (aoe confuse), mental shock, death's edict, split personality and chastise. So finally my last point is that warlock and dominator cc do not mix/balance each other, they actually in many ways conflict.
    I see fear and squirrel compliment each other fine. Maybe not for 1v1... But if you up against 2-3-4 people you can keep at least 2 of them cc'd the whole time, constantly having +50% cast reduction and damage. The warlock tree has a lot of % damage modifiers aswell, getting you up to a grand total of 70% on damage spells and a whooping almost 100% on dot spells. You also get extra crit chance, extra health, extra AoE healing (mortality FTW), you get 80% damage reduction.
    I can see both stormcaller and warlock working very well with Dominator, although it might tip in the favor of stormcaller due to the abnormal amount of instants you will have, in addition to lots of snares, KB's etc. But I don't think you should write off Warlock complimenting Dominator, which I think will be godly (possibly) in a group pvp setting because of the vast amount of targets you can keep cc'd, and whilst they are cc'd you can have dots up on all other targets, taking their health away a little bit over time.

Good discussion though. For 1v1 I would most definitely recommend Stormcaller for main specc every time. The amount of kiting abilities, coupled with draining and cc abilities of the Dominator is amazing. I am a bit saddened that I never tried out the dominator in beta 6. I am going for it in beta 7 for sure, mostly as a main specc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast