+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Suggestion for a future mage-soul: The Magiblade

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    153

    Default Suggestion for a future mage-soul: The Magiblade

    Magiblades are unorthodox mages who has focused on utilizing their tremendous magical reserves not for flashy spells and rituals but rather chanelling it into defending themselves and at the same time making their physical weapons capable of puncturing through flesh and steel. Their purpose is to use their focused energies to defend against the magical and physical attacks of their enemies while directly striking back face-to-face with their adversary.

    Strengths

    Magiblades can channel their mana into a defensive armour and shield that will protect them and their party from the onslaught of enemies. As they expel their energies their charge can be used to power their weapons and enact retribution on the attacking enemies.

    Weaknesses

    Behind that powerful magic lies nonetheless a relatively frail and physically unimposing body of a magical user. Should the Magiblade be disabled or robbed of it's power it will have a harder time projecting it's defense and lack the power to physically strike down their enemies.

  2. #2
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default sigh another one??

    what's with all the people posting about how they want a melee mage?? If you want to melee and cast spells play a Riftblade.....if you want to wear cloth armor and ONLY cast spells....then play a mage...i don't get this new fad....


    Sunder is in Open Recruitment and accepting all Archetypes/Roles - Visit www.sunder-guild.com

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    153

    Default

    It'd be a neat addition to the mage class that I think would complement the other roles well.

  4. #4
    Shield of Telara Arieste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanadeus View Post
    Magiblades are unorthodox mages who has focused on utilizing their tremendous magical reserves not for flashy spells and rituals but rather chanelling it into defending themselves and at the same time making their physical weapons capable of puncturing through flesh and steel. Their purpose is to use their focused energies to defend against the magical and physical attacks of their enemies while directly striking back face-to-face with their
    This pretty much describes Riftblade and Nightblade souls. Sorry it doesn't have "magi" in the name, but you've gotta admit "magiblade" really is kind of a lame name.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple Ungodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenronin View Post
    what's with all the people posting about how they want a melee mage?? If you want to melee and cast spells play a Riftblade.....if you want to wear cloth armor and ONLY cast spells....then play a mage...i don't get this new fad....
    To be fair Battle Mages are not a new fad nor are they a new idea. It's an idea people enjoyed in many other games and just because they want it here doesn't mean we should look down on their choices for not wanting to just sit around spamming fireballs.

    Maybe Warriors don't feel magey enough for them and neither do rogues. Honestly have you tried a Riftblade or Nightblade? They feel exactly like rogues or warriors, not a Battle Mage.

    I see no harm in people wanting something a little out of the box from more traditional MMOs. *Especially* wanting something unique from Rift which prides itself on new/updated ideas and concepts.
    Last edited by Ungodly; 02-09-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    We don't want a game, we want a second home. We play for escape.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungodly View Post
    To be fair Battle Mages are not a new fad nor are they a new idea. It's an idea people enjoyed in many other games and just because they want it here doesn't mean we should look down on their choices for not wanting to just sit around spamming fireballs.

    Maybe Warriors don't feel magey enough for them and neither do rogues. Honestly have you tried a Riftblade or Nightblade? They feel exactly like rogues or warriors, not a Battle Mage.

    I see no harm in people wanting something a little out of the box from more traditional MMOs. *Especially* wanting something unique from Rift which prides itself on new/updated ideas and concepts.
    If it already is close, if not exactly what he wants, in another class... then all he's asking is for a class to be moved into the mage tree and be called a mage.

    Sounds like he just needs to be helped picking his guy.

  7. #7
    Telaran Dexin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    61

    Default

    To all the opposing posters in this thread; why the opposition? Really? If you dont have anything positive to contribute why do you feel the need to post?

    Wanting to play a "melee mage" is a thematic desire. It doesnt matter that we could roll a warrior or a rogue character, choose Riftblade/Nightblade, and thus be a "magic using melee". That doesnt matter because its not what we want.

    On topic. I'd like to see a melee focused mage Soul as well. Primarily because the Valewalker of DAOC and Herald of Xotli of AoC were great fun.

    On a technical note, mages are a little squishy. A melee Mage soul could add some defensive options. You say OP? I say not if I have to spend skill points for that additional defense.

    Edit: Yes "Magiblade" is a horrible name.
    Last edited by Dexin; 02-13-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    Originally Posted by Kalvix
    Omg stop with this crap! WoW is a clone of EQ and earlier MMOs and completely ripped off all their ideas if you want to put it like that! also the entire warcraft idea is a rip off of warhammer! blizzard tried to buy the rights to warhammer from games workshop failed then made starcraft and warcraft and somehow didn't get sued! So if anything is a clone is WoW! its a huge clone rip off of warhammer which copied lotr which copied folk lore!

  8. #8
    Telaran Hellbent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    This archetype is already in the game. Just use your imagination.

    Magiblade, lol
    Flasher - Mage @ Briarcliff

    www.maximation.us

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    138

    Default

    It would need massive defense buffs as you will still be wearing cloth armor, maybe if the defense scales with how deep in the tree you are so people cant grab it as their 3rd and suddenly be a melee range SC or pyro.

    If implemented right it would be really fun: example battle mage in Dragon Age is a ton of fun with aoe auras and such.

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara Arieste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexin View Post
    To all the opposing posters in this thread; why the opposition? Really? If you dont have anything positive to contribute why do you feel the need to post?

    Wanting to play a "melee mage" is a thematic desire. It doesnt matter that we could roll a warrior or a rogue character, choose Riftblade/Nightblade, and thus be a "magic using melee". That doesnt matter because its not what we want.

    On topic. I'd like to see a melee focused mage Soul as well. Primarily because the Valewalker of DAOC and Herald of Xotli of AoC were great fun.

    On a technical note, mages are a little squishy. A melee Mage soul could add some defensive options. You say OP? I say not if I have to spend skill points for that additional defense.

    Edit: Yes "Magiblade" is a horrible name.
    So just so i understand you correctly, you don't actually want a character that melees and casts spells, you just want something in the mage calling that has a name you like?

    A Riftblade is exactly what a battlemage should be - heavy magic user, able to wear armor and melee along with casting. Nightblade is something in between, a heavy magic user that focuses on imbuing melee weapons with his magic...
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

  11. #11
    Plane Walker FinalplayerRyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    412

    Default

    The first few hours playing Rift i kinda thought there is something like a melee mage, because we can use swords...

    The idea is truly good, i can remember playing a Battlemage in Oblivion... good times... good times...


  12. #12
    General of Telara Sarathor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexin View Post
    To all the opposing posters in this thread; why the opposition? Really? If you dont have anything positive to contribute why do you feel the need to post?

    Wanting to play a "melee mage" is a thematic desire. It doesnt matter that we could roll a warrior or a rogue character, choose Riftblade/Nightblade, and thus be a "magic using melee". That doesnt matter because its not what we want.

    On topic. I'd like to see a melee focused mage Soul as well. Primarily because the Valewalker of DAOC and Herald of Xotli of AoC were great fun.

    On a technical note, mages are a little squishy. A melee Mage soul could add some defensive options. You say OP? I say not if I have to spend skill points for that additional defense.

    Edit: Yes "Magiblade" is a horrible name.
    We post because we feel the mage calling doesn't need a melee soul, as there at least two other souls that have what the OP is asking for. The only problem is, they're not within the mage calling. We're not trying to be negative, but we've picked the mage calling because we like casting spells, not hitting people with blades.

    Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    It would be a cool addition ^_^

    I've played a couple of games where i've played a "battle mage" e.g dragon age/NWN and really enjoyed them.

    The thought of a Dom/chloro/"insert battle mage name" gets me a little to excited

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    the problem is... riftblade and nightblade are not in the mage tree... pity we cant choose any 3 souls... ( i know it wont happen :P )

    dont get me wrong, i love the idea of a battle mage... but the game mechanics dont really support it. all other mage souls have spells that can be interrupted, and giving the battlemage a passive ability making all spells instant is, well overpowering?
    Last edited by westernmagic; 02-14-2011 at 05:50 AM.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Would be awesome seeing a Herald of Xotlii type mage soul. That class was so much fun. Wore a cloth robe, wielded a big fat 2hander, and kicked *** with fire spells based around the weapon it was carrying. Lots of fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts