+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solo Pet Class build

Default Solo Pet Class build

I've been messing around since Beta 3, and up until now have been playing a Cleric. I was intrigued by the Justicar and was pretty excited about it at the start, but as I progressed, it's become rather stale and I'm actually somewhat disappointed with the class.

I've decided to make a switch back to mages, particularly a pet class, which is what I have always played in all the other MMO's I've delved in. I typically play odd hours due to my work, so I try to create class builds that are viable options for Solo play, as well as something mostly tailored toward PvE. PvP isn't out of the question though, so I like to have a little survivability in that regard as well.

I'm wondering if doing a nearly full spec of a pet class (I'm leaning toward Necro more than Elementalist) and tossing in some heals will result in a fairly decent build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...huo..vtftAtkus

With that, I've got what seems to be a pretty strong pet, plus a healthy dose of AoEs. There's the chloro spec for some heals, and warlock at 0 for the added Life Leech. I originally had the full 51 in necro, but dropped out 1 so I could pick up Flourish for added utility and for when I'm doing rifts or grouping. The only thing I see as a glaring weakness is the lack of CC outside of being able to FD. Maybe FD is enough though?

Does this seem like a build that'll work? Like I said, I've been playing a cleric so far, so won't be able to test this until next beta. Also, is Elementalist a better option overall as a pet class than Necro?

Any input or changes is appreciated, the only thing I'm really after is being a pet class while still having some outside survivability in case the pet drops.

In Rift, you are given the ability to change roles. So you can have 4 different roles, each with their own set of soul combinations. If you want to go pure pet build, then you build one specifically for this.

If you want a build for rifts and groups, then you make a role for that.

If you want a build for PvP, then you have a role for that.

You can change roles in 3 seconds out of combat with a hotkey. All hotkeys made for a role will be saved for that role, so they always come back as you change back and forth.

Soulwalker

I played around with both the necro and elemental in the last beta. This is what I found in pve and then only up to lvl24.

Elemental is great if you only want to put a few points in that tree. For example I had several builds with Elemental to 6 for rejuvinate. The basic Earth pet is a great solo tank. I found it helped any dps based build in PvE simply due to damage mitigation. However, when I put more points into that tree I didn't see a big difference. In fact the greater earth elemental seems to be weaker than the lesser. Granted it gets the AoE taunt but in my tests it appeared to be have a weaker taunt and take more damage.

I found the reverse to be true with the necro. The more points in the stronger it felt. The greater(Zealot, Knight) pets are noticeably better than the lesser(Horror, Stalward). Note the ZAM builder shows "Summon: Skeletal Zealot" at 20pnt tier but that's wrong it's really "Ancient Tomb" and gives you both of the greater pets. I basically was using a lower point version of your build and really like it. It was good for both PvE and the Warfronts. The only issue I had in warfronts was that I struggled with melee, particularly stunlock spec rogues. I didn't seem to notice having as many problems with some other test builds. Maybe more points would have given me something to help...not sure.

As for 0 points in Warlock, I personally would do Dominator for the CC spell, but in beta if you have 0 points you can actually swap that soul anytime without retraining.

As Albane said you should keep in mind you get multiple roles (I had 3 at 21) so 2 seconds and you are in a different build. I had a chloro/elem/lock healing build, the necro/chloro, and then a pyro/archon build. The pyro/archon was awesome fun in warfronts.

50 points in necro you're kinda gimping your damage. Sure it buffs your pets a ton 100% dmg, as to mine 64%, but it doesnt make up for your lost damage or if you pet gets CC'd or killed. This is the build I'm going, too much damage and utility not to utilize warlock as a necro.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...uk0s.xsouzqqIo

thats +51% dot damage (35% from Neddra's influence, 10% from dark power, 6% from warlock armor).
    2 more AoEs
    Another 2.5 sec stun
    more healing! (shadow life is epic)
    and most importantly, in that pinch, 80% reduced incoming damage!
    another snare that doesnt rely on your pet.

Your build is okay for pure PvE, and I mean okay. You'll do decent damage, but not as much as you would with this one. for pvp, not so much, chloro heals with that many points arent that great, especialy when you go into lock and get heals that HURT them or provide more benefit. Stormcaller is just for the instant cast knockback if someone gets in mah face.

edit* before you ask why i didnt put points in the mage pet talents, he blows. The zealot does way WAY more damage. The mage pet does aoe damage, but not much, can do that yourself with lock. drop a grave rot and devouring shadows. nom nom nom. Mortality if you want even more. I really hope they improve the mage pet to do more damage or at least EQUAL damage to the zealot, cause it looks AWESOME, its by far my favorite pet in the game. But its not very good at all
    Last edited by Chilton; 02-09-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Shadowlander

Ok im tired of people saying pets can just get CCed and there done. Be smart enough to get another pet out with your insta cast spell. Seriously think outside the box a little. I know for a fact that both Necro and Eles get an insta pet cast.
    Last edited by mrwes; 02-09-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Telaran

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...o.EtftAtkus.Ms

This is what I plan on going for. I want to play a full Necromancer, and I feel that, with the full 51 points in, this is a good mix. Lock buffs the lifeleech spell a nice DoT and a nice buff to Charge. The Domo gives you a polly, a insta cast knockback and a 60% chance to silence.

IMO this is a great build IF you want to enjoy a pet class for what it is, a pet class.

Go Necro~

Quote Originally Posted by mrwes View Post
    Ok im tired of people saying pets can just get CCed and there done. Be smart enough to get another pet out with your insta cast spell. Seriously think outside the box a little. I know for a fact that both Necro and Eles get an insta pet cast.
    yep, they do get an instant cast pet resummon which is actually a 3 sec cast if you take into consideration the GCD. And this is of course assuming you instantly realize your pet is CC'd. Which im sure you can because you're probably the best player in the world and have a built in pet sense like spiderman only for your pets.

In reality, however, the pet gets feared, slept, sapped, whatever. You usually dont even notice this right away (except for sap, thats pretty obvious), especially if its an in combat CC, such as a champion wailing on you then fearing your pet without ever stopping.

You then register "oh crap my pet just ran off" in which case you think "what do I do?!" When you finally realize you can resummon instantly, which most people wont in the heat of the moment, and all the GCDs are blown, You've spent 6+ seconds getting beat on while your main source of damage is gone. Even if you get it back up, you're probably gonna still die.

you're also assuming that the person cant just re-CC your new pet, which is usually not the case.

Note this is with major points in necro like the OP lists. Go into lock more, not an issue, shadow life, fear, ressummon pet, proceed to facestomp and listen to QQ.

however these "leet pet" builds, leave you ridiculously vulnerable without them.

also, riftforpresident, as long as you hit 26 pts in necro, you really get to enjoy all the pet features. That 51 pt talent isnt worth it, the pets arent controllable, and the cooldown is crazy. I prefer 32 for the 3second stun, and super awesome pet snare, Id -like- last gasp but its really not worth the points that could improve things elsewhere.

With 51 pts in necro you get +102% pet damage. with 32 you get +64%, seems like a big number, but it really isnt, in terms of what -you- could be doing as well. Just because my pets hitting for 30dmg a hit less than yours, doesnt make me any less of a pet class. In fact, since im more than making up for that 30 dmg a pop with the crazy amounts of spell damage you're missing, I'm actually a better one.
    Last edited by Chilton; 02-10-2011 at 03:52 AM.

Tagged for my reference .

I see what you're getting at Chilton, and it does seem as though WL and Necro mesh too well to ignore it.

Assuming I follow that part of your build, does that still allow myself enough healing? I've played a ton of mages in MMO's, but mostly the elemental kind rather than the Necro types. I suppose I have to get used to the lack of instant gratification that comes with DoTs and Lifetaps :P

I think now I'm just confused as to what to have as my 0 pt soul for when I'm using this particular build. Chloro still seems like an option for Spores, or maybe Dominator for the added CC ability. Man, I'm so confused

Did you land on Stormcaller solely because the KB ability outshines another 0 pt root ability? Or just a personal preference?

Thanks for the replies by all parties.

Plane Touched

I think the OP mentioned MAINLY PVE. In which, I've never had my pet CC'd ..ever.

I was following this Necro/Lock spec from the mage builds thread. Only got to level 26 but my god, its insanly strong. Elites, 4-5 mobs same level at a time, nothing could kill me. Essence Link with a few other dots and Soul Purge away, and both you and pets HP are recharged instantly. It reminded me a lot of the WoW Warlock when you really outgear stuff. I did some Warfronts, at lv20, forgot to do it at lv19 d'oh and players at lv25+ had serious troubles taking me down alone, most just ran away to cover in their group.

Plane Touched

I put together a hybrid Necro/Lock/Chloro that gets you the AoE spores and synthesis of Chrolo, the Zealot pet of the Necro, and most of the AoE death damage of the Lock:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Aooa0z.xbctVzk

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Chilton View Post
    yep, they do get an instant cast pet resummon which is actually a 3 sec cast if you take into consideration the GCD.
    Exhume does not trigger the GCD.
    Last edited by KnowBuddy; 02-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread