+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chloro-Necro... main healer? help please

Default Chloro-Necro... main healer? help please

Hi, I'm fairly new at this game, and have made a chloro/warlock/elem, that I love.
    I know everyone's for chloro/warlock and i can see why, with such great damage.

Please don't flame me! I'm just asking to see if this is a feasible idea.
    I noted that with chloro, there were a few problems healing. Firstly, the cooldowns are way too long, especially for pvp. Bloom's on 10 sec, and Flourish is on 20 sec cd. The only spells that seem to grant decent healing from damaging happen to be on pretty long casts of 2 secs and 2.5 secs, which is Wild Spores and Natures Touch, and occassionally, a Ruin. So even with Synthesis on the main tank or main fighter in pvp, there isn't much I can do if i'm being attacked and want to cast a damage spell to heal my allies. Also, if anyone other than the main warrior's being attacked, i'm almost always on cd to help them out properly. The bard's Cadence seems to be unaffected by people attacking him while he's channeling damage and healing the group. Chloro however, really needs to not be touched to try to do damage and thus heal his team.

Note : this is not fact! Just personal pvp experience.

So i was wondering, what if i went 18 points into necro and got the 2 heals that necro has. One is a 2 sec heal that heals a fixed amount + 10% of your hp and the other one is a instant HoT. BOTH do NOT have cooldowns. With them I'm less scared of being out of healing spells and having tried HoTs on warden, the idea of a chloro being able to instant HoT anyone he likes is VERY appealing.

And there's a pretty buff or two for the pet in the tree, an extra 5% damage for u and ur pet, an instant AoE spell DEATH ROT to instantly stack up deathly callings so ur pet can go crazy, A very long instant DoT in necrosis, mana leeching in Reclaim Power.

WIth roughly 14 points left, i'm not sure where to go, so i try something a little different and put it into the warlock tree for 25% more charge, Sacrifice Life for Mana, increased 15% for DoTs, and i'm hoping, 10% for Opportunity. I realize that this instant spell also means u can instant summon your pet if it dies, which might make the Detonate Bones even more attractive. Also the instant cast will help get Natures Touch off... but u knew that...

(What i really hope is that if your pet's alive and you try to summon a new 'instant' one, the old one dies and instantly explodes... that would be WICKED...!!!)

Um... so is this a possibility? SHould i have just put more into necro or more into chloro and just forget bout lock?
    I tried pulling points around here and there, any feedback would be really appreciated.
    The real point i've been trying to convince myself is that if I had the two necro spells, i could REALLY call myself a True Healer, and not one's that... waiting for his cooldown to refresh.

(Btw, in Pve, the CD is almost never a problem, i'm trying to cater a little more towards PVP here, where too many 'HEROes' get whacked hard)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...IuoVc0oo.xx0hz

Thank you and please let me know what you think.

Prophet of Telara

I can't speak specifically to PvP as I don't PvP at all - but the Necro heal (and to some extent the HoT) can be very useful. I was very sceptical about the utility of going so deep into necro for them, so I tried a Chloro/Necro build in last beta and enjoyed it a lot. It's a different playstyle.. .and for PvE, I'd probably say that it's more useful for a Chloro that wanted to be able to add a bit more DPS as a team contribution.

I can see the heal making more of a difference in PvP. You can't be switching synthesis all the time to whoever happens to have focus that second. Having a good sized heal for non-synth group members has to be useful. Also, with targets running out of LoS, resists, absorbs etc reducing your healing via LGV, having a spammable direct heal could be useful.

But: as somebody above points out... the heal doesn't scale brilliantly - particularly because it seems that the self-damage part seems to go up more than the heal part does... so you'll end up killing yourself more quickly... and I can imagine that this wouldn't be a great thing to be doing in PvP. Also, it's still a 2 second cast time, so the issues of not being able to move and being interrupted will still apply.

You mention pet stuff... but generally pet don't seem to be too great in PvP by all accounts - and the necro pet needs you to be stacking Deathly Calling and Necrosis and Looming Demise to get the best out of your pets too. Whether you'd be able to do that while trying to do your Chloro job is another question.

X

Instant heals still take up 1.5 second GCD. Casting Vile spores does not have a GCD. So you aren't doing much to heal people that you couldn't be doing by casting your damage spells.

Necro heals do not get better with spell power either, so what you see is what you get.

If you need to keep someone up, Flourish and Bloom are normally enough to buy you time to Synthesis and NT. Once you get Synthesis on them, they are almost immortal against 3 people, as long as someone isn't interrupting you.

Oh... I didn't realize necro healings did not scale with spell power. That's awful!!! (>___<)

Is GCD 1.5 secs?? i always thought they were 1 sec... that's kinda long =O

Um, how about this build? It's a chloro/archon/ele build.
    I'm surprised by how crazy archon can get once u get buffs up and ur damage/heals shoot up. I put 6 points in ele for the summon, the self shield and for 5% extra chance to crit, which will translate into mana thanks to the archon talents.

It looks pretty good, potentially even higher damage than the warlock tree secondary, considering the amount of buffs u have, the damage % increase as well as heal % increase. Also, u can reduce the enemy's life resistance (yay).

I've NOT tried this build before. Can anyone offer any insight into it? Thank you!

Oh, and synthesis is on a 30 sec CD. Still makes spot healing v tough.

Btw, I've tried bards, and they're currently ridiculous. I mean... joining battlegrounds at lvl 10 and coming up top on healing meter and 2nd on damage meter... TWICE. It just makes our job look so much harder.

EDITED : oh here's the build http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....EdIuoVM0oo.Vz
    Last edited by Lyght; 02-09-2011 at 03:47 PM.

You didn't post a build, but I would not go Archon for PvP. PvE, Archon is the way to go for sure.

For PvP, Chloro/Dom is pretty awesome. But you really need a good team to not break your cc everytime you cast it.

necro/chloro is fine for the purpose that you want.

Chloro/Lock or Chloro/Archon are the popular builds builds for PvE Main Healing. Although Chloro/Necro is also considered a viable build.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

Is the necro heal meant to not scale with power? Is that part of the intended design or are they going to change it?

Makes it less attractive =(

I think the necro heal is simply bugged. Or at least I hope so. There's no point in giving a necro a heal that is decent when you first get it, and then quickly becomes marginalized.

Necro pets aren't horrible in pvp. In large scale pvp, they aren't as handy. But 1v1 or in small skirmishes they can add quite a bit of dps, and it's hands-off besides necrosis and looming demise, which both last a decently long time, and aren't 'wasted' spells, as necrosis adds decent additional damage (only decent from bonus to pet, in and of itself isn't very great) and 5% less damage on the player is nice.

Essence Link is another thing that is under rated. Even if your pet isn't slaughtering enemies as you'd hoped, it's still nice bonus healing. If I recall, at 35 I was being healed for 54 each hit, none upgraded. Upgraded that ends up being 75 a hit, and the dps necro pet hits pretty fast.

Solo pvp, toss synthesis on your pet, and you're healing it and it's healing you, and makes you both that much tougher.

Where people's pvp builds go bad as a chloro, imo, is when they go for all the big boom and no defense. Catering to pvp, there's no way I don't take Raised in Nature and the Warlock boost to health if I'm going up warlocks direction. You're never going to burn someone down as a chloro, just won't happen, so your best offense is a good defense. Stay alive, and you might have time for help to arrive or out last an opponent. It's just not the kind of soul that owns people 1v1 and burns them down, and the quicker a pvp chloro realizes this, the sooner they'll be able to help their team/group win.

For instance, in PvP I don't go trolling for targets with low health trying to get kill shots like a lot of dps do. And it's not to be critical, finishing off an opponent is important, but it's not our job. I usually target what I assume is the weakest enemy I can find (often a pet) and start blasting my DDs. They're pretty weak, relatively, so I don't worry about who I'm killing so much as who I'm healing.

Here's a video of me healing in a warfront, actually. Notice I have a tank who isn't afraid to charge in synthesized initially, and I stick with him. He and others run off to capture the flag, and I stay behind to help heal the diversion that ends up occupying the enemy long enough they don't even realize we just ganked their flag (again). I'm not trying for kill shots, just healing, and at one point re-synthesis on the bard that's being pretty handily focus fired as we just laugh, both of us chaining heals for a good long time as our flag-group steals the flag and wins the game, and they still never got the bard killed. Anyhow: LINK

Too many chloro's think they're a healer, and a mage, so they're suddenly Chuck Rambo and can solo the world. The truth is, even when it seems you owned a player, it was probably some dps that did most of the work and all you did was cost the time it takes to chase or retarget. Play defensively and you'll stay alive, and keep the people better equiped for offense alive, which will give your group or team a better shot at winning.

And remember a chloro's main job should honestly be keeping radiant spores up on the enemy. I know, it's about the most unglamorous pvp job ever, but makes a huge difference when the real dps classes have a 30% chance to heal themselves on the 500+ bombs they're routinely dropping on the enemy.

And necro, I find, is pretty nice for adding some defense (more standard heals) and offense in pet (though warlock is better for both, arguably, which is why it's the flavor of the year and will either get toned down or everyone will roll one with chloro in pvp). If they 'fix' necro heals and make them scale better (imo properly) and if Call of Spring works on necro heal (not sure if it does, forgot to test like I forgot to test a dozen things), then necro is indeed a very viable option.

But you'll also notice in the video, if you rally watch, there are some of my biggest heals from radiant spores and synthesis for sure. But the other healing is pretty good, and constant, and going to everyone whereas necro heals only go to the one target. It's why warlock is a bit better, especially if you take the 10% health and the huge self heal, as well as the 31 point ability, it actually becomes quite a defensive powerhouse as well as boosting your DD healing by a lot. I still like necro, and think it adds a lot to pve groups especially (the pet damage can get pretty significant, tbh, but only if you have enough points to keep it upgraded, and by those levels where you have a healing chloro build and an upgraded pet, who knows how the pet damage will scale).

A lot of necro is 'what if's based on scaling, right now. I still love the soul and hope it's viable, and will keep using it and testing it in various ways, but right now warlock is much more attractive imo for general use.
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Shadowlander

I tried out a Chloro/Archon/Dom combination that I really enjoyed. I used it while running around the world with my tank (just the two of us) and found it to be a lot of fun, especially because I could heal him and kill the mobs at the same time instead of being limited to one or the other. I cannot vouch for its viabilty in later levels (I got her to 19) or in a dungeon or pvp setting, but I did do okay when we grouped for rifts. I'll know more after beta 7.

Zac
    Plane Touched

@op what kind of pvp?

in premade vs. premade chloro is a no go, absorb shields from pots/planar consumables + player abilities will reduces your life dmg to zero, means no serious healing at all and radiant spores will get dispelled by mass aoe/grp dispell

Soulwalker

Default Chloro/Necro/Lock

I recently attempted Chloro/Necro/Lock and focus mainly on Chloro/Lock with just the pet in Necro. I found that the Chloro was broken during the previous beta event. The reason I believe the soul was broken (and I reported this) was because of the buff "Lifegiving Veil". The tooltip for Veil reads basically as: Life magic heals 10 allies for 10% of damage dealt, all other damage is 5%. So why do I say this is broken?

If I cast a Warlock DoT (ex: Dark Touch) it heals for... 0. It never heals any ally, ever... So I tried a DD spell, Void Bolt. At level 25 I was doing roughly 150 with Void Bolt. 5% of 150 is 7.5 hp. However, this healing never occured. Running through a warfront and not healing myself with the warlock's channel ability, using potions, etc resulted in 0 healing done. In my opinion the chloro needs to be fixed before it can become a viable paired soul.

Zac
    Plane Touched

@Mordekai

Beta 6? Your tooltip is wrong, really wrong.
    see:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...l=1#post849803

Quote Originally Posted by Mordekai View Post
    I recently attempted Chloro/Necro/Lock and focus mainly on Chloro/Lock with just the pet in Necro. I found that the Chloro was broken during the previous beta event. The reason I believe the soul was broken (and I reported this) was because of the buff "Lifegiving Veil". The tooltip for Veil reads basically as: Life magic heals 10 allies for 10% of damage dealt, all other damage is 5%. So why do I say this is broken?

If I cast a Warlock DoT (ex: Dark Touch) it heals for... 0. It never heals any ally, ever... So I tried a DD spell, Void Bolt. At level 25 I was doing roughly 150 with Void Bolt. 5% of 150 is 7.5 hp. However, this healing never occured. Running through a warfront and not healing myself with the warlock's channel ability, using potions, etc resulted in 0 healing done. In my opinion the chloro needs to be fixed before it can become a viable paired soul.
    Something is wrong with your info, and bugged with your chloro.
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

The only issue I have with the necro tree is that the abilities have literally 0 synergy with Chloro tree. Nothing passively buffs your chloro abilities or makes them more effective, which for me, means they are wasteful when a Chloro is my primary. If your looking to be a solo main healer for pre-cap dungeons this could be a good build to give you a bit more breathing room. If your healing with a bard or cleric though I would still recommend going the lock/chlor/ele build to up your damage and crit.
    Roasty L50 T3 Mage Seastone -Awakening-

I liked the video Popsicledeath. Good points all around. It's a pain scrolling through all the QQ and troll threads. This one has good info though!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast