+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why isn't there a classic Battle Mage?

Alu
    Shadowlander

Default Why isn't there a classic Battle Mage?

As title says, why isn't there a battle mage soul?

Clerics have a melee soul, war has a range soul and rogues have bards which is caster-ish.. Why don't mages have a dual wielding/staff based melee/caster hybrid soul?

I understand they already have 8 souls now so kinda too late, but was thinking that Dom and Arch souls could have been merged to be something like an ultimate support soul. Major cc/debuff/buff bots and it could open the door for a battle mage.. it could even still wear cloth and have its mitigation come from an armor, and have weapon enchants that can be cast as a party buff, like RDM of FFXI.

I thought about this while talking to a friend about it earlier. It seems strange that in this game of all games a melee mage is absent from the soul choices you get. Oh well, hopefully in some future expansion maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alu View Post
    As title says, why isn't there a battle mage soul?

Clerics have a melee soul, war has a range soul and rogues have bards which is caster-ish.. Why don't mages have a dual wielding/staff based melee/caster hybrid soul?

I understand they already have 8 souls now so kinda too late, but was thinking that Dom and Arch souls could have been merged to be something like an ultimate support soul. Major cc/debuff/buff bots and it could open the door for a battle mage.. it could even still wear cloth and have its mitigation come from an armor, and have weapon enchants that can be cast as a party buff, like RDM of FFXI.

I thought about this while talking to a friend about it earlier. It seems strange that in this game of all games a melee mage is absent from the soul choices you get. Oh well, hopefully in some future expansion maybe.
    check out riftblade in the warrior tree...
    Taika
    50 Mage
    <Dominance>

Shadowlander

Default ummmm

ya....i can only pray this never happens.....

Sunder is in Open Recruitment and accepting all Archetypes/Roles - Visit www.sunder-guild.com

Alu
    Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mucro View Post
    check out riftblade in the warrior tree...
    Doh.. that does seem more or less what I was looking for.

Is it a DW soul? And the 'spear' atks, those are just names, yes? Or are you actually using a spear as a main weapon with this soul? And how is this souls dmg/dps? decent? I have only played mages and cleric souls so far so my experience is limited to mostly casters.
    Some of the skills seem to imply range atks? Is that right? Do they have a mix of melee and range skills.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but since beta isn't going to be ready fro a while I can't just log on and see what it is like. Thanks for any responses!

Alu
    Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by brokenronin View Post
    ya....i can only pray this never happens.....
    Why? What's wrong with a battle mage?

Quote Originally Posted by Alu View Post
    Doh.. that does seem more or less what I was looking for.

Is it a DW soul? And the 'spear' atks, those are just names, yes? Or are you actually using a spear as a main weapon with this soul? And how is this souls dmg/dps? decent? I have only played mages and cleric souls so far so my experience is limited to mostly casters.
    Some of the skills seem to imply range atks? Is that right? Do they have a mix of melee and range skills.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but since beta isn't going to be ready fro a while I can't just log on and see what it is like. Thanks for any responses!
    It doesnt favor any weapon, pick DW, 2H, SB...
    Spears are the ranged spells
    You dont use actual Spear weapons
    They are considered OP in beta6, but they are rumored not to scale (meaning weak level 50, unconfirmed)

Yes they have a good mix of melee and range

Alu
    Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    It doesnt favor any weapon, pick DW, 2H, SB...
    Spears are the ranged spells
    You dont use actual Spear weapons
    They are considered OP in beta6, but they are rumored not to scale (meaning weak level 50, unconfirmed)

Yes they have a good mix of melee and range
    Nice, I can't wait to give it a go.

+ Reply to Thread