+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CC/pets/mages in general.

Default CC/pets/mages in general [Question!]

I have played a rogue most of the time throughout the beta's and they are fun and all but in other MMO's I was usually a range caster and was now wondering about all the sub-classes of a mage.

#1 - What is a good CC build, or what is a good sub-class that specializes in CC/crowd control?
    #2 - They have tank/burst DPS pets? Which one is good? Which one is good for what situation?
    #3 - I heard they had dots, if so, which sub-class(s) have that?

It's kind of obvious I don't know much and kind comments would be much needed ^^.
    Last edited by Miss Ember; 02-08-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Ink
    Guild Master
    Defiant - Kaleida US

Sita(Cleric) Ivy(Mage)

Okay, so I attempted with a build. Like it, hate it, I'm still trying to learn.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...px0x0M.rcV0V0z
    Last edited by Miss Ember; 02-08-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Ink
    Guild Master
    Defiant - Kaleida US

Sita(Cleric) Ivy(Mage)

Shadowlander

Default to the OP

oh boy...that build....ya you aren't going to be good at anything you try to do with a build like that.
    For starters, that many points into SC isn't enough, it's a 31pts+ tree or nothing since it's skills rely too
    heavily on status effects from the other SC spells.

If you are going for a CC class, then i'd go with Warlock/Dom or Dom/Warlock as your primary builds. The 31 pt Dom ability allows you to render a player into a wailing baby in short order....especially a melee player.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qxk.MsVuikq00k see if that pulls up a CC build.

If you are going for a pet class then need to go full Ele or Full Necro, not going to link a build for that there are several around already

If you want something you can play for instances/rifts/groups try something like:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...z0z.VMttbtscdR that would give you the Greater Elemental Pets AND lets you use the full power of the SC.

Hope this helps! If you have anymore questions just PM me since I don't always check the forum.

Sunder is in Open Recruitment and accepting all Archetypes/Roles - Visit www.sunder-guild.com

Thank you so much, from the time putting that build up I have learned more from a guildie of mine and from your builds, I am learning more about this class. I might take you up for that offer in PMing you about some questions .
    Ink
    Guild Master
    Defiant - Kaleida US

Sita(Cleric) Ivy(Mage)

Shadowlander

Default np :)

Glad to help, theorycrafting is all well and good, but sometimes helps to have played or talk to someone who
    has played the kind of build you are looking for since practical experience is just theory put to the test

Sunder is in Open Recruitment and accepting all Archetypes/Roles - Visit www.sunder-guild.com

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ember View Post
    I have played a rogue most of the time throughout the beta's and they are fun and all but in other MMO's I was usually a range caster and was now wondering about all the sub-classes of a mage.

#1 - What is a good CC build, or what is a good sub-class that specializes in CC/crowd control?
    #2 - They have tank/burst DPS pets? Which one is good? Which one is good for what situation?
    #3 - I heard they had dots, if so, which sub-class(s) have that?

It's kind of obvious I don't know much and kind comments would be much needed ^^.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zsv_.M.ejRAkoqeo

Verrrrrrry potent CC/DoT-based setup. Leaving you with twenty points leftover for whatever else you feel like doing:

Burst damage with anti-CC abilities? Pyromancer
    More CC abilites for highly organized team-oriented PvP? Dominator
    More DoT damage with access to pets? Necromancer
    Defensive setup with high-yielding crits and pets? Elemental Summoner (Switch out Opportunity for Potency)
    Anti-melee setup? Stormcaller
    Uber awesomeness I can't die/I dish out tons of damage/I heal my teammates build? Chloromancer
    And Archon pales in comparison to other choices for PvP with the build I've proposed.

Don't rely on Opportunity. If you can put points into anything else, do so. Opportunity sounds overpowered on-paper, in reality 10% doesn't proc as often as you'd think. It's too random to rely on. It's one of those spells that when it does proc, you're not going to realise it did-so until after you've casted another spell...

This is one I'm highly interested in http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zsv_.M.eeRAkqqek, but very turned-off by it due to 'Radiate Death' (Spreads DoTs to other targets, limiting your CC abilities)... I'd clump it into the PUG/World PvP category of builds; high DPS/crazy AoE damage/I just want things dead.

thus far i am most impressed with Warlock and dom, i wont bother with pet classes as it is too much down time in a warfront.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo View Post
    thus far i am most impressed with Warlock and dom, i wont bother with pet classes as it is too much down time in a warfront.
    Only if you don't put enough points to get the instant cast pet.

+ Reply to Thread