+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Glass cannons

Plane Walker

Default Glass cannons

I am just posting another I have issues with the fact that mages equip cloth yet aren't even close to the top of the damage dealing charts.

This is just the way of things, if this isn't how it's going to be I must say I very reluctantly will play a class I don't enjoy just to be competitive in the dps. I'm not trying to just QQ here, if' I am going to be the weakest in terms of toughness shouldn't I be the strongest in terms of damage output? By toughness I mean health/armor/ defenses not a few life leeches, and a pet that help me solo.

It's not about being an elitist either, I just want to stay competitive because well that's why I play online with other players to compete and well floss. If I didn't care about what others thought of the job I was doing I'd continue to play offline games, I want the group to actually be glad I am there. Not settling for me because they couldn't find a scout/warrior who does a much better job and is no where near the liability of a mage in terms of dying.

This is how I envision mages, I have a strong feeling it's just not me so Trion please please make our mage souls into what we all want, awe inspiring magical booms and bangs!

Champions wear plate, can have a pet from BM and deal out more damage than me..don't nerf them make me stronger we're both happy! Same as the leather wearing rogues who can summon a pet almost as relevant as a nercro or ele who plays to be a pet master..

If people don't see why mages should do more damage than other classes unless rolling choloro..dom or archon for support then I don't know what to say other than you have a very strange perspecitve on games and fantasy in general.
    Last edited by Xynvyctus; 02-08-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Champion

We are merely glass vases, in a room full of bulls. The proverbial bull in a china shop, and we are to be the china.

glass paintball guns

Rift Disciple

haha

I agree with this, but to be honest, maybe its just our mindset on the mage is that we should be doing a lot of single target DPS. Maybe Trion is trying to change the role of the mage to a medium damage dealer with a lot of utility? I do have to say though, if thats true, then WTF did they make the Pyro soul for?

Quote Originally Posted by seahawk View Post
    haha

I agree with this, but to be honest, maybe its just our mindset on the mage is that we should be doing a lot of single target DPS. Maybe Trion is trying to change the role of the mage to a medium damage dealer with a lot of utility? I do have to say though, if thats true, then WTF did they make the Pyro soul for?
    Purifiers in the Cleric soul system use fire to heal...so it'd make sense that it'd lean more toward utility than pure, outright dps.

haha

utility for what? CC one mob in a group during a few instance pulls? That's not worth wearing cloth and having lower dps than plate healers.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Rottweiler-STi View Post
    utility for what? CC one mob in a group during a few instance pulls? That's not worth wearing cloth and having lower dps than plate healers.
    When I look at souls in other archtypes... they get a lot of CC as well.. and many of them have mobility AND CC..

Telaran

*edit*

Must play more to decide...
    Last edited by NargofWoV; 02-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Rift Disciple

I agree with you rot, im just trying to figure out what Trion wants from this soul is all. I have read on other forums that the Pyro really doesnt start to shine until around lvl 28. Since my Pyro is just now 28, maybe I just havent seen it yet, and will in the next beta.

Champion

I agree with you rot, im just trying to figure out what Trion wants from this soul is all. I have read on other forums that the Pyro really doesnt start to shine until around lvl 28. Since my Pyro is just now 28, maybe I just havent seen it yet, and will in the next beta.
    Well pyromancer does "shine" compared with all the other mage DPS souls, especially as you get above 25.

The problem only appears when you play other classes and notice what kind of damage they can do...then you understand how useless mages are, even the fabeld pyromancer soul. It just simply doesnt compete with burst DPS, since you as a mage will never live though a burst DPS attack, even if you manage to get one fireball with two warlock oppertunity firballs off, all critting...since they all have so much more HP than you (mabey rogues aside with that statement, but after the first fireball they are already out of range, or have killed you)

I wish it all wasnt true, really, i love the mage class in its mechanics, its just theres no competative advantage to playing such a difficult class, one with little survivability needs offense as a defense....

You guys are not taking a lot of important key facts into the equation.

All of your tests with dmg is done at lvl 35 with minimum gear. Some classes benifit from gear more then other classes. To accuratly throw out statements about one class being terrible without knowing any knowledge of endgame is quite senseless.
    Last edited by Pylo; 02-08-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Rift Disciple

Crunchy

As I stated in another thread, I pretty much agree with you as things stand right now. I do have a MM, and a Paragon/champ and those two really feel a lot easier to play than the Pyro/elementalist. I was just trying to look at the bright side and hoping that the Pyro catches up to the DSP out put of the Sab/MM/ranger at some point.

I will say that I havent had much of a problem with Warriors. Its mostly just the rogue souls. Oh I cant DPS a cleric fast enough to prevent them healing themselves, but by using smoldering power I have run them out of mana (though I might have had help in that area, couldnt really tell)

Soulwalker

Pylo:

If all the other classes are kicking our butts in damage output at lvl 30, that isn't right. The endgame argument is a silly one. Part of an MMO is the journey. People want to be useful as they level up, and they want to PVP before lvl 50 too. It's not right that all the other classes are leaving us in the dust even at current levels. We should be able to enjoy being useful at low levels just like everyone else.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchyblack View Post
    We are merely glass vases, in a room full of bulls. The proverbial bull in a china shop, and we are to be the china.
    just fyi, mythbusters tested that and the bulls just ran through the aisles and for the most part avoided knocking over the shelves full of china.

Telaran

They do good dps is specced right in pve and are competitive with rogues, One thing is mages get much more in the way of aoe skills than a rogue does, as most dps rogues are single target only, The other issue I see is people going multispec on mages ie 20 17 8 instead of 35 5 5, most of the mages have a lot of self senergy skills so pet classes cast spells to make their pets do much more damage a stormcaller must manage their electrocute and using your charge abilities at the right time make up a huge difference.

In PvP frankly pyromancers suck their cast times are two long, its the same with a bladedancer rogue, they are useless in a group dps wise but own in pvp and solo play. Try one of the pet classes or a stormcaller or warlock who have much faster casting spells, they can rock people if played correctly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast