+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with aggro control.

Plane Touched

Default Need help with aggro control.

The only other fantasy mmo I've played for any length of time is Guild Wars, and in that game breaking the tank's aggro was a non issue for someone doing pure DPS as long as you didn't aggro first or target something other than the tank's target.

This is clearly not the case in RIft, and apparently in other games as well.

I was just looking for some advice on how to gauge "how much is too much" .

Rift Master

The general rule is start out slow and steady then ramp up. Obviously there are situations where the fight mechanics make this unappealing but it's a safe plan for normal use. If you are seriously worried or have been experiencing problems try to evaluate and address the cause (hitting wrong targets, aoeing when tank is in single-target mode, grab aggro reduction/dumping abilities, etc). Basically, until you have a good gauge on the system and the performance of your tank it is best to play cautiously. Waiting a couple seconds for the tank to smash the mob in the face with his shield rather than insta-flamebolting (or whatever) may waste your proc from the previous mob but getting dead because you used it will hurt your group a whole lot more.

Rift Chaser

best advice i can give is DONT CAST the highest damage spell just after the tank has it. Cast a debuff, a dot or two or a lower level damage spell. if you dont know the people you are grouped with slowly increase your damage. Like the above poster said feel out the tank and the group. see what they can do. be really careful about aoeing too early. with time you will learn when and what to and not to do.

SECOND BEST ADVICE. if you ever pull agro RUN TO THE TANK. don't make him chase you around. the faster he gets it back the safer you and the rest of the group is.. TRUST ME tanks will love you if you bring it back to them.

Soulwalker

I haven't played enough Rift instances yet to say for sure, but in other games my habit was to go as hard as I can for the first pull with a new tank, in order to gauge his output. If I pull from him, I'll play cautiously, slowly ramping it up until I find a happy medium. If I don't pull off him, then I know that I can probably continue hitting mobs as hard as possible. Obviously if I know the mobs are going to oneshot me if I pull, I'll play it a little safer.

The point is that aggro control is two-way, and you won't be able to figure out how much damage you can do without pulling until you actually pull off your tank a couple times. Although you could play it safe from the beginning, if you don't learn the tanks limits and are holding back dps significantly, then you aren't doing your job properly. Although some tanks get angry if you pull from them, I don't see the issue, provided the mob is tauntable, is the assigned kill target (assuming marks were used) and its not happening multiple times a pull.

Of course, that doesn't take into account inconsistent tanks, who build threat like mad one pull and then hardly touch them the next (whether from inattentiveness or an honest mistake). But in that case, it's the tanks fault (although you'll probably be blamed!).

Telaran

This is just bad tanks you are grouping with. A tank who is fully concentraiting on agro and not doing dps and properly marking targets will never lose agro unless someone attacks the wrong target. Most warriors tend to start using dps abilities over agro abilities once they think they have enough agro. Playing my riftstalker I have a few suggestions, wait at least 20 seconds to use any aoe abilities as that gives me enough time to make sure I have solid aoe agro on every mob, begin with the marked target then going to aoe abilities after the main tank gets at least 3 aoe agro hits in.
    Last edited by Maethor; 02-08-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Plane Touched

Thanks for the replies guys, this was all helpful.

+ Reply to Thread