+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elementalist

Plane Touched

Default Elementalist

I have been trying to find information about high level elementalist and I can't really seem to on the forums or anywhere.

Is the pet dps actually any good? Does it's dps make up for your lack of personal dps? Does anyone actually play this soul at all?

Plane Touched

I play elementalist up to improved elemental and the rest into stormcaller. The air pet does great damage and also boosts your sp. Stormcaller is amazing if you do straight air spells. I haven't messed around with ice spells much, but there is an ice spell that gets bonus damage from electrocute stacks, is instant cast and hits for about 150-200 not speccd into. Only made it to 26 in beta 6, but the damage output is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    I play elementalist up to improved elemental and the rest into stormcaller. The air pet does great damage and also boosts your sp. Stormcaller is amazing if you do straight air spells. I haven't messed around with ice spells much, but there is an ice spell that gets bonus damage from electrocute stacks, is instant cast and hits for about 150-200 not speccd into. Only made it to 26 in beta 6, but the damage output is insane.
    In all honesty, after playing the last few events with my rogue up to 35, warrior to 35 and mage up there my mage was by far the weakest in dmg. Warrior did more dmg each swing, rogues dmg was much better post their changes and Im hoping mages get some love coming up because so far after being somewhat evenly geared, or atleast I thought so, the mages dmg was the weakest, including the Stormcaller. I wouldnt necessarily say the Stormcallers dmg is insane because its not close to a rogues and its on par or a little less then a warriors currently. Again, I stress the word "currently".

Plane Touched

From a mage standpoint, stormcaller has been the highest damage potential I have seen. If this was a warrior or rogue forum, I might be QQ'ing about how I don't do as much damage. Thus, the countless requests for mage buffs

I plan to play an Elementalist as main soul, loving it so far. Now , what I am trying to decide/find out later in the game whether my main rotation should include Crystalline missiles (in terms of spamming it as a filler since it gives a since 50% pet damage boost with the recent changes) or completely skipping it and go for the electro/cold debuff dps rotation thingie with stormcaller abilities.

Rift Chaser

I have a ele/ pyro/ dom build with nothing in dom to level 29. Sadly i didnt put points in the crystalline spell since i dont think in beta 5 it had the pet buff. Build has 29 points in ele and rest in pyro. After you put a point in the pet heal i found killing or tanking 3-4 mobs at once is no problem. Just make sure they stay on the pet and assist through him helps. i rotate lightning strike fire ball fire ball lightning strike. Usually it is dead after 3 spells sometimes one or two more. Lightning strike crits for 600 with no points in it. fireball crits for 450ish. mobs die fast.

the dom is great for the squirel. at level 26 i was killing lvl 28 group mobs one on one. i found the air and water pet dps lacking but i guess the crysalline buff would help with this.

the only advice i can give is put a point in the pet heal and have the squirel. ( i play pve )

Definately, the freebie Squirrel spell is awesome for instances and soloing.

Plane Touched

I plan on playing around with it this next beta after I finish leveling my cleric;I am thinking about pairing it with a chloro for group support while leveling at least, and if it goes well I might just play it on live instead of the cleric.

Soulwalker

i did play elementalist in the beta 6 and 7, up to lvl 42.
    i was using Chloro/Element/Dom.
    my point was to be able to heal myself everywhere i go. Chloro (8 points)
    using Pet of Elemental on each battle, so they can fight for me, and i was able to heal them. (29 points)
    and all thos spell wer asking me alot of mana, so i choose Dom (19 points), enough to drain greats amount of mana of my ennemies.
    i saw poeples using the same setup with Necro's
    In solo u can do as mush as u can. i was able to Solo Iron Tombs, the dungeon.
    and in groups, with 2 others mages, 1 earth elemental pet, and 2 dps pets elemental, we did great.. elites lvl 43, 44 was easy to kill them all.
    in the last beta i found a place where ther was lvl 50, normal and elite.
    normal lvl 50 i was able to kill some.
    elites lvl 50, had to get a team. but with my Dominator CC spells, i was able to save my mate's when ever the main tank die, or if something went wrongs.
    when ill get back online in march, i goign back Mage, i want to see thos Fires Elementals Pets at work.

Rift Chaser

The air pet does great damage and also boosts your sp.
    the air pet hits for ~150 damage on a cast time spell at level 40 with a full elementalist build. im not sure why you'd consider that "great" damage.

the water pet hits for about half that and likewise has cast times attached to its spells, which means in pvp you'll be lucky if your pet ever hits anything.

right now the earth pet is the best of the bunch, and that's only useful in solo pve.

Only made it to 26 in beta 6, but the damage output is insane.
    enjoy watching it not get much higher 14 levels from then.

to the OP - you dont see many posts talking about high level elementalists because no ones playing them at high levels. they're terrible.
    the pve dps they do is a joke even compared to other mage classes, and in pvp they're free kills.

trion needs to do some work on them if they want anyone to play the class

Telaran

I played Elementalist to 30 and a Ranger to 30. While at 30 I played around with full necro build.

The Air Elemental pet is a complete and utter joke of a DPS pet compared to Ranger or Necro DPS pet. It does give a 5% spell power buff but as far as damage goes... Its damage is horrible. To the point to where I think perhaps it might be broken.

I also messed around with beastmaster last day of beta got him to level 14. His ---lesser--- primal companion NOT buffed in offensive stance did more damage at level 10 than the air elemental did 23. If game was still up I would screenshot the elementals tooltip. He had two nukes, one did like 30/40 damage every 4 seconds (AE) and the other nuke was 2 second cast time for 23 damage.... 23 damage with 23 points spents.

Far as tanking goes though the earth elemental is a beast there is no complaints there. If your looking for strong dps pet though you aren't going to get it with elementalist. Anyone says its strong has not compared it to other classes DPS pet.

Edit: also the test I did with Air Elemental every time I had spent as many points in Elementalist tree as possible. This is perhaps the only thing I didn't like during beta.
    Last edited by fatsocastro; 02-21-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbxvividos View Post
    to the OP - you dont see many posts talking about high level elementalists because no ones playing them at high levels. they're terrible.
    the pve dps they do is a joke even compared to other mage classes, and in pvp they're free kills.

trion needs to do some work on them if they want anyone to play the class
    I play one, got to 42 no problems at all. It's a great solo calling, but not sure on the damage output. You may have to have a role for higher DPS in dungeons, raids, etc.
    OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Memory: 8.00 GB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11, Display Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, Display Memory: 768 MB

MMO Experience: EQII, WoW, LotRO, Lineage II, GW, Aion, Vindictus, PWI, Shaiya, Aika, HoTK, ME, SUN, CO

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Korereactor View Post
    I play one, got to 42 no problems at all. It's a great solo calling, but not sure on the damage output. You may have to have a role for higher DPS in dungeons, raids, etc.
    what you mean to say is its a SAFE solo class.

ive actually played every mage class at your level, and anything elementalist can do, another class can do better. the only benefit to being an elementalist at the moment is there's no way you're going to die while solo leveling. you even said yourself that for groups you'll probably have to look into a different role, and i dunno what your MMO experience is, but mine tells me that the higher level you are, the more you're going to be relying on groups.

the damage output is terrible.
    there isnt much utility.
    you're a complete non-threat in pvp.
    but hey, you can fight two mobs at once while leveling. good job. here's a cookie.

the class needs work.

edit: and the solo lvling benefit is only acquired when using the earth elemental pet. you'll notice in my first post in this thread, i pointed out how both the other elementalist pets are completely worthless. do you think it's good class design to have the lowest level pet be useful, but the 2 higher level ones be awful ?
    Last edited by tbxvividos; 02-21-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by tbxvividos View Post
    what you mean to say is its a SAFE solo class.

ive actually played every mage class at your level, and anything elementalist can do, another class can do better. the only benefit to being an elementalist at the moment is there's no way you're going to die while solo leveling. you even said yourself that for groups you'll probably have to look into a different role, and i dunno what your MMO experience is, but mine tells me that the higher level you are, the more you're going to be relying on groups.

the damage output is terrible.
    there isnt much utility.
    you're a complete non-threat in pvp.
    but hey, you can fight two mobs at once while leveling. good job. here's a cookie.

the class needs work.

Agree totally. Out of all the specs both rogue/mage I got to say this class needs more work done to it than any other soul.
    Last edited by fatsocastro; 02-22-2011 at 01:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread