+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Malleable

Thread: multiple Stormcallers in a group?

Telaran

Default multiple Stormcallers in a group?

I've never played a stormcaller, and am returning to Rift after many years. I am contemplating playing in a group using multiple stormcallers.
    So a group of four stormcallers could drop a bunch of electrified on and have one of them pop the effects for high damage. And have the group kind of cycle through casting.
    And Lightning Field does damage and roots the mobs if they have three stack of electrified. If you have three Stormcallers they would automatically have three stacks of electrified and be rooted immediately?
    Does having multiple stormcallers in a group sound effective? I kind of like to play to strengths and put together interesting combos in my groups.

Thanks,
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Malleable View Post
    I've never played a stormcaller, and am returning to Rift after many years. I am contemplating playing in a group using multiple stormcallers.
    So a group of four stormcallers could drop a bunch of electrified on and have one of them pop the effects for high damage. And have the group kind of cycle through casting.
    And Lightning Field does damage and roots the mobs if they have three stack of electrified. If you have three Stormcallers they would automatically have three stacks of electrified and be rooted immediately?
    Does having multiple stormcallers in a group sound effective? I kind of like to play to strengths and put together interesting combos in my groups.

Thanks,
    Mal
    Wait electrified is a stack on yourself and since when does Lightning Field root targets? Oo
    (Stormcaller got a rework ca. 2.2)

Telling your current level always helps.

One big problem: Stormcaller scales alot with stats. Which means it might be a littlebit underwhealming at level gear but dramatically increases with better gear.

lvl 60
    Spoiler!

Lvl 65 is pretty much the same but 61SC and tricks for it did not get properly developed during NMT due to the low need for it.

Above lvl 65, Stormcaller simply stops to exist. Quite literaly. Stormcaller got left on the fuel station when they headet to SFP. The legendaries of Stormcaller are not only bad, they quite do the opposite of the previous bis rotation (Arc consuming stacks instead of producing)

You can do a little SC group, kiting slowed mobs around but that mostly comes from Hail Storm, Icy Vortex and the other cc. SC is most fun between lvl 60-65 which unfortunately is not very long.

There are st dps hybrids, one with Ele and one with Harbinger - but those are ment for glasscannon raid dps and are quite unflexible.

Here is the SC-Ele raid st dps hybrid as pov:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATe1ru2XYRc

What may be interesting for you is Dominator / a mixed group with one Dominator. It's completely built around cc. For example it debuffs aoe and lets them blast dmg when they move - then toss them all into the air. And yes when played right, it was the Dominator who made the game winning pvp difference.

Pyromancer also benefits from aoe cc. He can apply a 8sec timebomb on one target, spread it with Fire Storm and force it to explode early.

Necromancer does a compareable thing with Corpse Explosing (which lets a dieing enemy deal aoe damage) and also can control his pet for a while - to then use a powerful aoe channel 2 times.

Rift ist not quite the game where someone's ability has a drastic impact on another player's 'class' i fear (Like wow classic ignite)

Hope this kinda helps.
    And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

Telaran

Thanks Shas,
    I'm reading some descriptions that might be a bit old. It describes the enemy being electrified, rather than the caster, so I thought it was something multiple SCs could put on mobs.
    I'm starting from 1st level since I dont really remember anything. I think my highest was 43rd, and the level cap was probably 50 when I played.
    And actually Lighting Field definition (that I have) says it roots with three stack, but since the stacks are on the caster I guess it doesnt matter too much.

Would you be able to recommend a good database of spells and abilities descriptions?
    I always build a spreadsheet so I can sort and search for which spells are available to which class (soul)?

Mal

Thanks Shas,
    I'm reading some descriptions that might be a bit old. It describes the enemy being electrified, rather than the caster, so I thought it was something multiple SCs could put on mobs.
    I'm starting from 1st level since I dont really remember anything. I think my highest was 43rd, and the level cap was probably 50 when I played.
    And actually Lighting Field definition (that I have) says it roots with three stack, but since the stacks are on the caster I guess it doesnt matter too much.

Would you be able to recommend a good database of spells and abilities descriptions?
    I always build a spreadsheet so I can sort and search for which spells are available to which class (soul)?

Mal
    Sure

I use this to look up things on the fly. Spent soulpoints can be shared with the link.
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree

Here are some listings on what's meta on endgame.
    https://rift-stats.s3.eu-central-1.a...ostplayed.html

You can always google *rift ability #ability name* and have a linkable tooltip picture from magelo.
    I doubt there is a raw listing of spells available really. Might be your niche to do ;p

To lightning Field, i did some Sc minutes yesterday to verify infos. Target dummies have the *immune* popping up when using any cc on them which never popped, using Lightnning Field as main ability.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...-29_125207.jpg
    I wonder where it tells you about any root effect.

found in an old guide from before the rework:
    Lightning Storm - gtAOE. 6 second channel. Applies Electrify, roots targets with 3 or more stacks. 30s cd. Air.
    Is it possible that you are looking at a lvl 50 soultree?

Use 0 Stormcaller on Lvevel 1-16. For whatever reason, Raging Storm obliterates mobs until 16-18 (dead in one channel) and then drops down to a pea shooter.

Telaran

Thanks again Stas,
    I like playing around with combos. I'm gonna four box, and usually play the same class(soul) in games. Using the same ability on four guys with four keyboards at the same time isn't too difficult. Or cycling between characters with stun abilities. Four nukers drop mobs fast, four pet classes tend to be really safe and mow through mobs. Maybe four different stackable buffs, or cycling through powerful short duration buffs that have cooldowns.
    So if you have any recommendations on Mage souls that stack really well or support each other well I'd appreciate it.

Mal

I expect you to not buy DLC's for all accounts

1) If you are able to mirror your inputs so you can run the same rotation on 4 charakters, it would be Elementarist tbh.

Lightning Strike as a hard hitter, some aoe, pets, straight forward mechanics. Later you will gain Cycle of Elements which give you various boni on your default Primary bolt such as multi ticks and instant cast that can turn your 4 Eles into a 4-barrel-Flak gun with up to 32 Crystaline Missiles per second. It will require quite alot of APM tho (proccing 0.5 sec gcd)

2) Or you really go with Pyro - the best solo Leveling Option. One Cinder burst already almost kills a mob so 4 could be a fun overkill.
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...FlkFlh0/h|XYPg

-> Cinder Burst is a 6 second Cast and fire damage can procc it as isntant (very often) while having it on cooldown until the next instant procc.
    You can bypass the first hardcast with 10 points Stormcaller.
    Pyro above level 36 has no pet but can root single enemies.
    You can combine alot into macros, *rotations* will desync however.

more info:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ml#post5391554

3) If you have to manually control all charakters, Necro might be an option. It is rather slow, has alot of dots and delayed abilities and 4 of them should make up for it's base dmg.

4) -> Not gonna lie, Cleric Inquisitor is the better pick. (closest comparison being wow shadow priest if not quite) With heal ticking dot's, satisfying burst and the ability to pack in a littlebit more flexible sourvival stuff into every charakter even as free to play.
    Stack up 4 mobs and Souldrain from 4 chars (unlocked early on) should be a fun way to do things.
    Souldrain gives one tick for every enemy up to 4. So 1x1 2x2 3x3 4x4. The later unlocked Fanaticism cd makes it crit 100%
    Salvation dripping some heals on every attack. Vex and Scourge giving selfheal for every target they tick on.
    It's the best from a Warlock and a Pyromancer really.

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...aGyGllkBh0/p88
    This way, every attack heals the other charakters for a tiny bit, you can taunt off mobs and spotheal everyone.

Until level 35 (lvl 30 Feary healer is still okay on 35), you can run one Offsoul as DRUID. 0Druid unlocks a tank AND a healing Pet! So 1x Satyr Protector, 3x Feary Healer.
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#D/nG1kiMla/r8U

You can give them unlocked cloth wardrobe skins+ basic dye for free.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...-29_141210.jpg
    Mage roleplay 10/10

Just trade cloth armor around. Once armor is in the bag, the appearance is unlocked for unlimited use.

Why Cleric? It's also a mana class with interesting Caster options. Mage mechanics usually have quite alot of rng proccs while Clerics are more rely- and planable.

Why do quick responses always turn into so much text?
    Last edited by Shas; 05-29-2020 at 06:28 AM.

Telaran

Stas,
    Damn I'm glad I got your response. Inquisitor sounds awesome. I'm definitely into ranged DPS, and like the the RP feel of casters. I do play them all manually, so I have no ability to keep up with RNG procs (four monitors and I can only pay attention to one). I do like having healing and rez abilities on all my guys. HOTs from four guys have always worked the best for me, and group heals. And I just about finished my spreadsheet for Clerics, so I can start sorting and reading. But from what you say I think Inquisitor will work out perfect.

Mal

Champion of Telara

Would you be able to recommend a good database of spells and abilities descriptions

You can read and export the descriptions of the abilities directly from the game with the addon language lua, I think there are also addons for it. Magelo probably uses the data directly from the game that you can also query via Lua and is largely up to date.

Trion previously published xml files regularly with the spell descriptions, but Gamigo did not continue. On the github page of prancingturtle you can still find the old xml files.

Telaran

Thanks Bamul!

Mal

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I expect you to not buy DLC's for all accounts
    Shas,
    Would your recommendations change if I got all the DLCs on all my characters?

I'd probably do that. Eventually I play a lot of classes.

Mal

Shas,
    Would your recommendations change if I got all the DLCs on all my characters?

I'd probably do that. Eventually I play a lot of classes.

Mal
    If you are speaking of Cleric: Change one of them to 8 Oracle and replace Vex with Wasting insignia. It will apply Inspiration of Battle to all group members for 20 sec.
    Inquisitor is on the absolute top when it comes to dps, the best Inq dps build needs Runeshaper.
    https://rift-stats.s3.eu-central-1.a...com/index.html

If you are refering to maybe trying another class while remaining your manual charakter control, stay with Cleric.

Rogue and Primalist have 1 sec gcd by default. Rogue is strong enough to aoe farm through the levels alone already and almost even more efficient so than swiching between 4.

Primalist could have one charakter on Mystic support, which provides good passive buffs while the rest uses some Vulcanist thing with Molten Wave aoe channel- also the least played class due to being fully DLC (and a little strange)

Warrior has Tempest, which shoots lightnings from range. But little dots and not a real caster.
    Reaver has ranged dots but f** me recommending those two to anyone really.

Mage will get Frostkeeper which is a very strong leveling offsoul that can have up to 3 shields aplyable on 3 random people, acting almost fully passive. So you would just set 1-2 Frostkeeper on follow as a passive pocketheal and play the other two. Otherwise the proccheavy playstyle doesn't change. Mage Mystic Archer is completely and utterly broken for leveling but it has it's own dlc and is completely useless 99.999% otherwise. (And not fun. You just preload out of combat, aoe channel down and preload again)

So the approach of swiching literal Keyboards and idle the other charakters is rather new to me. However as long as you don't plan to become a healer main, it has quite a balanced and fun toolset. Cleric tank for example is the one with the passive aoe heal-on-attack and even was a viable melee-dungeon-healer on 50.

_> For a multiboxerwith all dlc's i would say get Rogue no doubt, for your manual approach and favor for mana, Inquisitor is just fitting. Not sure what your long time plans are but it has the right set and options to deals with every situation you will face.
    Also it has a nice power courve with it always unlocking something interesting and new over time that changes up the gameplay.

->> For your 4x level project when sticking to Cleric, you don't need any dlc's for now.

If you may rethink the 4x one class thing and not splitting input anyway, you may find those combos interesting:

The reasonable one; Fun builds and good classes:

Primalist Maytic-Farseer (long lasting buffs and hots)
    Warrior Beastmaster-Paladin (group buffs and decent battlepet)
    Rogue MM-Tactican (just try it really, aoe farming from lvl 1)
    Cleric (same build)

The powerplay; Many passives and channels that tick while you control another charakter.

Cleric Druid-Oracle with Seer or Healer pet (two ranged pets for dmg or heal)
    Mage Mystic Archer-Frostkeeper (Said high burst thing with passive heals)
    Rogue MM-Tactican (just try it)
    Primalist Mystic with Preserver or Vulcanist

The D&D immersion; Read your quest texts:

Cleric Justicar-Sentinel - the girl
    Mage Warlock-Dominator - the edgy
    Rogue Bard-Ranger - the dude with wolf fetish
    Warrior Warlord-Paladin - the dwarf

Keep in mind: Rift autoattacks suck ***. So parking a charakter in melee range will not do a whole lot unless they have a pet)

why does it always end in such walls of text
    Last edited by Shas; 05-30-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Telaran

Shas,
    Thanks again. Tons more useful information.
    Yeah I'm completely set with my multi-boxing style of four keyboards, four mice. With two hands I hit can hit the number keys using thumb and index finger on two keyboards per hand at the same time - so I can time my spells to land at the same time. AND occasionally I cycle stuns on difficult opponents, but I'm really not very talented at multiboxing so trying to play different classes (or souls) doesn't work very well. Occasionallly I've played a bard or healer type and three nukers, but then I'm clearly not playing them to potential; and forget keeping up with procs.
    The same class thing means I'm hitting '1' as follow/assist on three characters, and then hitting 2, 3, 4, 5 on all four keyboards at once - so nuke1, dot1, nuke2, nuke3 or whatever. And having key 6 being a stun that I rotate, and 7 and 8 being some kind of shield, heal, hot or pet heal. And I rarely use more than one row of hotkeys.
    So honestly I could run four different souls as long as there isn't too much different in where the nukes and heals fall on my hotbar. Then I might have each one provide a different group buff.

I did buy the Ascended pack for one guy, and will probably end up buying it for all four guys.

So are Cabalist, Runeshaper, Defiler (Warlock, Stormcaller) that much worse than Inquisitor? In the past I have had good luck using four AE nukers/dotters. Sometime send in a pet to collect a bunch of mobs and then drop a couple AE nukes from all my guys and loot. And Cabalist has some ability to pull up to 8 mobs to the location of your target. That sounds interesting.

Thanks,
    Mal

Hmm so all souls ofcourse change over the levels and even more in endgame.
    Know that aoe farming is not really an effective level strategy but here is the general sumary for your needs:

Runeshaper is a glass cannon ranged caster, st only and quite squishy. Needs some windup to buff. Did great raid st dps in 65 but never again.

Defiler is a shadow of it's former self. It once had 4 links which he could use to literaly make other palyers his pets. Now it's more of a piano dot spec. You need alot of gcd's to even get things going. It's not the worst for solo sourvival but the recent new version of it never was amzing at anything.

Warlock is a solid dot spec and a poster Warlock. You have one or another ability that will refresh all active dot's. The ability to spread existing dots onto other targets got nerfed from 8 to 2 so not for aoe farming really.

Stormcaller well we talked about that. Everybody loves it, it just does not fit any situation you come across these days (many high hp targets that stand nicely packed together and allow for a continuing aoe rotation)

Inquisitor stood very true to it's humble origins back then. A wide variety of unique and spicy abilities that just can't stop shifting gears up and eventually ends up on the highest bursting st dps spec that dominate pve and pvp.

Cabbalist can be a fun approach for the cc chain and aoe wear you described. It needs a couple level to get going and unlock key mechanics. One for example is shackles of Fate that makes your Bond Fate spread Tyranny of Death - an aoe time bomb that can trigger itself after time, one target dieing or special abilities. Later, one of your dots will apply all dots.
    You can shift between 1, 5 and 8 target 'mode' with 3 buffs on the fly. (Obliterations)
    It usually was used to support pvp pushes by stunning key enemies and aoe burst on chokepoints, on raid aoe trash for dps or to cc-chain difficult targets aswell as mass -planar invasion footholds.
    But he is not ment to take the hits from the target he attacks.
    Combining one Justicar- something with 3 Cabbalists may do the trick.
    (Remember you can have a ton of roles to change spec-sets everytime)

https://youtu.be/9lrFec391kk?t=613

The trick at 11:50 is quite important. The ability that spreads Tyranny of Death hits the targets one after another. Having it do the chain lightning will enable you to spread Tyranny WHILE it explodes. You can even time that with a low hp mob who is about to die.
    That core mechanic really only needs 17 points Cabbalist tho.
    The dots will become more of an afterthought really.

You may just use the macro

#show Tyranny of death
    supprssmacrofailures
    cast Tyranny of Death
    cast Bound Fate

so yes, Cabbalist might be the 'cc chain - aoe nuke' thing you were looking for. It's Cleric so it does not exclude playing Inquisitor or trying Defiler another day.
    Last edited by Shas; 05-31-2020 at 05:27 PM.

Telaran

You are the absolute best Shas!
    Thanks for the killer review. Yeah think I'll stick with cleric, and try both Inquisitor or Cabalist.

Mal

+ Reply to Thread