+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: If you could just change one mage ability, what would you choose?

Prophet of Telara

Default If you could just change one mage ability, what would you choose?

What ability would you change to make the Mage dps more competitive?

Legendary Piercing Beam
    30 meter range
    Damage
    7.5% Mana
    Instant
    Cooldown: 4 seconds
    Deals 13224 to 13224 Death damage over 30s. Increases your damage by 35% for 30s.

The change would make 61 Warlock, 61 Harbinger and 61 Pyro more competitive.
    Last edited by Bamul; 07-17-2019 at 11:48 PM.

I'd amend Reapers Blade from Harbinger to add. "Slashing attacks now also count as primary bolts."
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Vespa@Wolfsbane

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

Plane Touched

Similar buff as riftblade, Reaper blade give all other harbinger blade buff:

Reaper's Blade
    Self Buff
    7.5% Mana
    Instant
    Cooldown: 1 second
    Summons a deadly scythe of magical energy giving the reaper's blade ,luminous weapon, lightning blade and lightning charge buff. Slashing attacks deal an additional x Life damage and heals the Mage by y. All other damaging attacks have a 30% chance to trigger this effect. Increases the Mage's damage by 20% for 15s after using a casting ability. Lasts 1h.

Something like this.

Rending Slash and Storm Slash
    counting as Primary Bolt and Storm Slash Stacking 3 times.

Also Removing the Legendary from Lightning Arc and give the point to Lightning Field Making it Count as Primary Bolt and make Charged Field to procc Forked Lightning

Hierosolyma | Katane | Azuren | Jeru | Syenn | Shas | Shaslol | Shastroll

https://rift.magelo.com/en/ability/1...lemental-Gifts Make it No Global Coodlwon"

https://rift.magelo.com/en/ability/1...750/Flash-Fire Arrows spawn in your quiver

https://rift.magelo.com/en/ability/1...hock-Dispersal Arrows spawn in the quiver.

https://rift.magelo.com/en/ability/1...Earthen-Sunder Arrows spawn in the quiver.

From Mystic Archer soul tree "Arcane Summoning" Make the arrows spawn in the quiver.

Prophet of Telara

Why I want to change only one ability first has the following reason. Currently the Devs are so busy (Battle Pass, PvP Bugfixes) that improving the PVE balancing has no high priority. A complete revision of a soul is unrealistic at the moment. The only thing we can hope for are small adjustments. If we limit ourselves to a few abilities the chance is higher that a Dev will read this and possibly implement a change on the test server so we can check the change for unexpected synergy effects. So choose wisely!
    Last edited by Bamul; 04-29-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Shadowlander

I'd like to see removal of mage armor limit or make a general buff to all armor as simple as mage armor now gives +x% damage. It would keep all specs in the same order, but parsing higher. Maybe archon bullwark should be excluded, as archon already parses very high as a support soul if played right.

Changing piercing beam would basically piggyback every single spec into usage of harbringer as offsoul. Pairing it with the fact that Harb is not f2p, would make a dps difference between paying, and free players too big.
    Last edited by loqque; 04-29-2019 at 11:00 PM.
    Mage

Prophet of Telara

My hope is that with the change a little more flexibility will come into the current mage dps meta. At the moment nothing else is worth playing than 58 Ele/Pyro or 61 Pyro/11 Warlock in Raids as dps. If only the whole Mage damage is generally increased, unfortunately nothing changes.

I suppose that with my proposed change 61 Warlock would be the new top ST dps spec for mages, because the Warlock doesn't have the passive cleave potential of Pyro or Ele it would be fine. 61 Pyro/11 Warlock/4 Ele or 58 Ele is still a very good free to play alternative. For the 61 Harbinger, my proposed change is probably not enough to make it useful in Raids, but there were other suggestions from Skiye, Hokhmah and Shas that seemed to make sense and should help the 61 Harbinger.

Shadowlander

You know what would actually help our dps? If that VP trinket was activated on use, not randomly. it usually hits the 1st cooldown block and even then not for full duration as you have some wind up time, but afterwards, it's just all over the place. I't so frustrating when it shows up right after EA or HW cooldown blocks are gone.
    Mage

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by loqque View Post
    You know what would actually help our dps? If that VP trinket was activated on use, not randomly. it usually hits the 1st cooldown block and even then not for full duration as you have some wind up time, but afterwards, it's just all over the place. I't so frustrating when it shows up right after EA or HW cooldown blocks are gone.
    Other than that I think, that if any soul should be buffed, it's probably Pyro . I don't think that double dot soul like Warlock should be top ST dps. If you can pull top ST dps and do extra of that on the other target, it not a good design for having any other souls in your calling, unless you put obstacles ala +60% casttime auras on bosses etc.
    We already have abomination like Legendary Fire Storm that pretty much makes Stormcaller as a whole concept dead (because adding unlimited target number to massive AoE spell is a good idea, right?)

Internalize charge giving even more dmg to fire and/or non-instant spells is probably a good option, or buffing Heatwave with extra damage for duration of it for fire and/or non-instant spells only (you could add extra damage to that Heatwave talent that also reduces damage, so you actually have to spend extra point in fire tree for that) - this would also give a buff to noneternal builds aswell, as mage dps is way to reliant on that weapon proc currently.

(Before anything, my personal preference is for Harb to be top dps for mage as I'm harb fanboy, but that is even more unlikely to happen. I choose Pyro as it's more common, f2p soul, also introduced when you start the game, so everyone gets more familiar with it. It just makes sense for me)

#buffharbringer
    Last edited by loqque; 05-02-2019 at 01:38 AM.
    Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    What ability would you change to make the Mage dps more competitive? To make it easier, you can only choose one ability.

Legendary Piercing Beam
    30 meter range
    Damage
    7.5% Mana
    Instant
    Cooldown: 4 seconds
    Deals 13224 to 13224 Death damage over 30s. Increases your damage by 35% for 30s.

The change would make 61 Warlock, 61 Harbinger and 61 Pyro more competitive.
    Piercing Beam makes the most sense but would prefer more harb changes. I don't like having 3 different gcd abilities in the spec. It makes the play clunky. Also I don't like having to use a utility ability like Storm Shroud as a dps gain. Maybe incorporate the forced crit into another ability. It makes open world solo play annoying as well as mess with your dps meter. It needs several changes outside of general boost in dps.
    Last edited by Learan; 05-02-2019 at 07:51 AM.
    |AoC|Exposure|Mutiny|Crayons|Virus|Trinity|

nMe@greybriar

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by loqque View Post
    (Before anything, my personal preference is for Harb to be top dps for mage as I'm harb fanboy, but that is even more unlikely to happen. I choose Pyro as it's more common, f2p soul, also introduced when you start the game, so everyone gets more familiar with it. It just makes sense for me)

#buffharbringer
    Harbinger is also my absolute favorite and probably from the majority of players because of the interesting way of playing and the many useful tools the soul possesses. #buffharbringer I would fully support

Prophet of Telara

Some additional changes I would welcome even if it breaks my rule of selecting only one ability.

Legendary Firestorm should be removed and Legendary Flame Bolt or Legendary Flame Volley significantly improved. Specs with such strong passive cleave as Firestorm without a limit of targets should not exist.

Legendary Prismatic Volley should be completely reworked, currently the ability is so weak that it is the only dps mage soul where it is not worth investing 61 points.

Plane Walker

Legendary Charged Blade - Increases damage done by the Mage's slashing attacks by 50% and all other damaging Mage abilities by 20%. Each slash attack ability consumes 5 Charge. Slashing abilities cannot generate Charge while active. Causes all slashing abilities to count as primary bolts until the mage runs out of charge.

Although I want Bloom to change too, but harbs my favourite soul.
    In the wise words of my professor.. Did you read?

Rending Slash counting as Primary Bolt would solve a couple eternal related issues while keeping somewhat of a rotation without making Harbinger a complete facroll.

Once you take the passive Slash bonus from leggy Empyrean Ascention and put it somewhere else, there would be more room for some nice hybrids.

Harbinger is pretty strong in pvp already so any raw % buff may just derails other aspects of the game. goal should be to max the eternal usage as Eternals do not work in PvP and are the main reason to use completely different approaches to pvp/ pve heal/ dps.

-> Vorpal Slash: Deals additional 12.5% of damage done per second over 8 seconds.
    This leaves 8 new base numbers for the eternal to grasp on while forcing the Harbinger to max out Vorpal Slash.

-> Blazing Light now ticks additional damage when being hit by Vorpal Slash and regenerate 2charge when proccing.
    (Another base dmg for the eternal)

wit Rending Slash counting as legendary it won't effect most other builds like -. for example making a <15 point ability doing it + encuraging a more thoughtful approach than a raw ''anything is a primary'' (which would make Harb with Lg Veil way too powerful)

The Mastery Sparking Destruction now blows up on 2 stacks.

Would love to see something like this becomming meta
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...llaGy/h8q|_I_w
    Last edited by Shas; 07-18-2019 at 05:45 AM.

Hierosolyma | Katane | Azuren | Jeru | Syenn | Shas | Shaslol | Shastroll

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast