+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Archyface
  • 1 Post By Archyface

Thread: Mage Hybrid Tank Discussion

General of Telara

Default Mage Hybrid Tank Discussion

Because you don't need 61 points in the tank soul for raid bosses anymore I would like to discuss possible hybrid specs.

I have no practical experience with the Mage as a tank so the following are only theoretical assumptions:
    • you need at least 8 points in the arbiter soul for the Arcane Ward Buff when you can tank a boss on your own or 12 points for Legendary Biting Wind if you need to tank switch a boss

Possible useful hybrid tank specs:

If you need more HP you can put more points into the Arbiter ability Hardened Souls.
    • Archontank (full archon support and tank in one spec)
    • Chlorotank (full chloro can groupheal a raid alone, cleanse, battlerez, Natural Conversion, has a lot of hp)
    • Ele/Chloro/Arbiter (can groupheal a raid alone, more dmg than a fullchloro but no battlerez and cleanse, without Lifegiving Veil probably a good dd)
    • Harbinger/Ele/Arbiter or Harbinger/Chloro/Arbiter (with Legendary Empyrean Ascension 20 % damage reduce, 20 % dodge chance, runspeed, charge, teleport, good all rounder with good cleave damage, probably the funniest tank spec to play)
    • Froskeepertank (may be able to heal himself and the raid alone with bosses like Commander Isiel)
    • 61 Pyrotank (probably a good dd)
    • WarlockTank (probably usable dd with nice CDs like Neddra's Essence and some self-healing)
    • MysticArchertank (?)
    • DominatorTank (probably not usable in a meaningful way)

If the Archontank works it should probably be the most effective mage tank hybrid spec because it allows an additional full-fledged DD. Thanks to the Archon auras with the passive Wellspring (16 %) ability, Legendary Radiant Spores (5 %) and Powerdrain (10%) you also have a decent dmg reduce. Theoretically, the damage of radiant spores should be increased by 100% by the Archon's Bulwark + Vile Spores (refresh radiant spores with the 62 mastery bullwark of souls and Vile Spores). I don't know how good the spec is if you have to keep the agro from multiple adds, possibly a soul like the storm-caller (Forked Lightning) instead of chloro can help out here.

Harbinger/Ele/Arbiter is probably not the best but funniest spec to play, plays practically like a classic harb spec.

61 ChloroTank should have quite a lot of HP due to Raised in Nature and Legendary Living Aegis, and through the healing and spreading of Legendary Radiant Spores also probably generate enough threat to deal with adds.

58 Ele/13 Arbiter/5 Warlock is a charge generation monster (more elemental forces) that probably does good damage.

I haven't tested any of this, it's all just theories.

If you have cool ideas for hybrid tank specs or already practical experiences please post them here.
    Last edited by Bamul; 02-10-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    Because you don't need 61 points in the tank soul for raid bosses anymore I would like to discuss possible hybrid specs.

I have no practical experience with the Mage as a tank, the following is only theory:
    • you need at least 8 points in the arbiter soul for the Arcane Ward Buff when you can tank a boss on your own or 12 points for Legendary Biting Wind if you need to tank switch a boss

Possible useful hybrid tank specs:
    • Archontank (full archon support and tank in one spec)
    • Chlorotank (full chloro can groupheal a raid alone)
    • Ele/Chloro/Arbiter (can groupheal a raid alone, more dmg than a fullchloro but no battlerez and cleanse, without Lifegiving Veil probably a good dd)
    • Harbinger/Ele/Arbiter or Harbinger/Chloro/Arbiter (with Legendary Empyrean Ascension 20 % damage reduce, good all rounder with good cleave damage, probably the funniest tank spec to play)
    • Froskeepertank (may be able to heal himself and the raid alone with bosses like Commander Isiel)
    • 61 Pyrotank (probably a good dd)
    • MysticArchertank (?)

If the Archontank works it should probably be the most effective mage tank hybrid spec because it allows an additional full-fledged DD. Thanks to the Archon auras with the passive Wellspring (16 %) ability, Legendary Radiant Spores (5 %) and Powerdrain (10%) you also have a decent dmg reduce. Theoretically, the damage of radiant spores should be increased by 100% by the Archon's Bulwark + Vile Spores (refresh radiant spores with the 62 mastery bullwark of souls and Vile Spores). I don't know how good the spec is if you have to keep the agro from multiple adds, possibly a soul like the storm-caller (Forked Lightning) instead of chloro can help out here.

Harbinger/Ele/Arbiter is probably not the best but funniest spec to play, plays practically like a classic harb spec.

I haven't tested any of this, it's all just theories.

If you have cool ideas for hybrid tank specs or already practical experiences please post them here.
    Lucith and I have been using this one for a while. Good threat, high hp, and a lot of healing. Great for pugs.

Mage Hybrid Tank Discussion-2019-01-14_122954.jpg
    |AoC|Exposure|Mutiny|Crayons|Virus|Trinity|

nMe@greybriar

General of Telara

Hybrid tanks are now officially desired and no longer fall into the category of bugusing.

RIFT Patch - February 6, 2019
    Raids: In preparation for future content releases, and to encourage more hybridization amongst tanks in raids, we have removed Legendary Hits from bosses in Bastion of Steel, Tartaric Depths and Intrepid Rise of the Phoenix.

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...BlaGGll5i|T_Xg

Keep up Living Storm, Withering Vine, Spam Thunder Shock (and core arbiter abilities)

61pt gcd reduction+ Thunder Shock is a direct gain on hps

1.2-2mil hps, isiel prooved

How much do the others do?

General of Telara

61 Chloro tank and 58 Ele/Chloro tank probably similar to the full-fledged alternatives - the 20% heal reduction of Arcane Ward.

Ascendant

This was my first attempt at Archon tank

https://prancingturtle.com/Encounter...ageDone/205840
    Pretty poor dps I know, but I hadn't played a non Ele Chon for so long so I'm pretty sure I messed it up.
    Falling (cleric) tank played it safe and didn't too much when it was my turn to have agro, just in case.

I'm fairly sure I could solo heal Azranel in 61 Chloro / Arb as long as people didn't take too much unnecessary damage. Might be trying that this week.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Archyface View Post
    This was my first attempt at Archon tank ...
    Nice, I'd like to know if you can also tank Commander Isiel with the Archontank ? The whole dmg mitigation of the archon should help to survive the hard hits.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    Nice, I'd like to know if you can also tank Commander Isiel with the Archontank ? The whole dmg mitigation of the archon should help to survive the hard hits.

The vindicator's purple aoe still does a Legendary Hit, so no it wouldn't work UNLESS you can be absolutely sure your MT will not die. Falling worked this out the hard way prior to my run, hence why I didn't even bother trying
    Last edited by Archyface; 02-14-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Archyface View Post
    The vindicator's purple aoe still does a Legendary Hit, so no it wouldn't work UNLESS you can be absolutely sure your MT will not die. Falling worked this out the hard way prior to my run, hence why I didn't even bother trying
    Maybe you have a combatlog of the fight? Theoretically that would be a bug if legendary hits still exist.

General of Telara

I have a theory.

If you're flagged as a tank, the Irradiated Field (Vindicator MK1) only makes max 10k damage. For all others it makes over 600k damage without legendary hits.

So maybe it is hard coded for Irradiated Field and only hybrid specs that have enough points in the tank soul (tank flagged in the raid window) can survive.
    Last edited by Bamul; 02-16-2019 at 06:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread