+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage DPS very poor

Shadowlander

Question Mage DPS very poor

Hi guys, so as the title says my Mage dps is very poor. I am a level 60 running a Pyro/Storm/Ele, and this evening I joined an Instant Adventure and watched a level 50 Warrior 2-shotting every npc he came up against. I had noticed before that there were people running around IA's completely destroying mobs while I am slowly chipping away at them.

Now, I am a returning player, haven't played since 2014, and didn't really play that much back then, not enough to understand everything about the game for sure. Obviously there has been new stuff added with new DLC, but I can't help but think that I am missing something somewhere, to be so far behind everyone else with my dps.

I don't know how, or even if anyone would want to help me, but I would really appreciate it if someone could help me, or maybe even mentor me! I am retired so I play every day and could fit in with anyone's playing schedule. I would really appreciate it if I could be helped, as it's no fun watching everyone else cutting stuff down so much quicker than I. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Internomad View Post
    I am a level 60 running a Pyro/Storm/Ele, and this evening I joined an Instant Adventure
    Instant Adventures, and especially Intrepid Adventures, is NOT the place to measure DPS. Scaling makes everything crazy, as you have seen. I am guessing you are running around in pre-Nightmare Tide gear, which means you should be heading into the Plane Of Water to get better gear and level up. Do that. Then on to the Celestial Lands until level 70. THEN you can start comparing DPS...

Yes, some things have changed while you were away and the Mystic Archer mage soul ("DLC", buy in the store) is really easy to play with the 1-button spec AND it also puts out lovely numbers. But you don't need to it do well. Pre-70, play whatever you like that gets the job done. I went Necromancer and Harbinger for most of my level-process. That was fun for me. Because numbers do not matter much at lower levels, as long as you survive the fight and the target does not.

Shadowlander

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. I will try the Mystic Archer build and see how that goes in the Plane of Water. Thank you very much.
    Edit: Somethings not right. I have died 5 times in a row with this build. The macro doesn't appear to be working. Should I be changing to the Ranged weapon, if so, how do I do that?
    Last edited by Internomad; 11-18-2018 at 12:53 PM.

The macro doesn't appear to be working. Should I be changing to the Ranged weapon, if so, how do I do that?
    The macro assumes you have put the level 65 Mastery point as well as the Legendary talentpoints into the specific spells mentioned in the link. The build is more or less useless before you can get at least Legendary Crystalline Missiles (adds cooldown which enables macro to progress). You can't do that until you reach level 66 for the first point, which is why I suggest you stick to what you like, until you get up there. Most of the other builds you can find here are aimed at 70 and very few are leveling builds.

As for changing to ranged weapon, that will happen automatically once you can actually shoot stuff with the macro. And yes, you really should equip the bow that came in the mail. While all your characters will recieve one, only mages can equip it, but it levels up with you and only needs to be replaced at 70.

Prophet of Telara

I would really appreciate it if I could be helped, as it's no fun watching everyone else cutting stuff down so much quicker than I. Thank you.
    Here are some useful links for you:

Level 60-65
    Level 65-70
    Level 65-70 (2 Button Spec spec for the lazy players)
    Level 70

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    The macro assumes you have put the level 65 Mastery point as well as the Legendary talentpoints into the specific spells mentioned in the link. The build is more or less useless before you can get at least Legendary Crystalline Missiles (adds cooldown which enables macro to progress). You can't do that until you reach level 66 for the first point, which is why I suggest you stick to what you like, until you get up there. Most of the other builds you can find here are aimed at 70 and very few are leveling builds.

As for changing to ranged weapon, that will happen automatically once you can actually shoot stuff with the macro. And yes, you really should equip the bow that came in the mail. While all your characters will recieve one, only mages can equip it, but it levels up with you and only needs to be replaced at 70.
    Ahh thank you, I wondered why I was having such crazy problems with the macro.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    Thank you sir, I will try out the 60-65 link today.

Edit: BTW, It says I need a melee weapon for this build, but I cannot find one that improves the stats on my staff or even equals them? None in the AH none in the Guild Bank or my own bank.
    Last edited by Internomad; 11-19-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Shadowlander

Default Armour Proc

Sorry for another question, but how do you know when you have an Armour Proc?

Prophet of Telara

Thank you sir, I will try out the 60-65 link today.

Edit: BTW, It says I need a melee weapon for this build, but I cannot find one that improves the stats on my staff or even equals them? None in the AH none in the Guild Bank or my own bank.
    You don't need a melee weapon for the harbinger. The following Harbinger Buffs will automatically give you a melee weapon.

Lightning Blade
    Luminous Weapon (for AoE Damage)
    Reaper's Blade (recommended)

Prophet of Telara

Sorry for another question, but how do you know when you have an Armour Proc?
    You need to use the Eldritch Armor Buff (lasts 1 hour). Your slashing attacks will trigger the Armor Proc and you will recognize it by an icon appearing on your screen.

Shadowlander

Bamu, thanks for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread