+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Nexus Magus?

Question How to Nexus Magus?

So I'm kinda new to RIFT.
    Rolled a Mage - the game suggested, nay, recommended the Nexus Magus role. And then, other than allocating my soul, left me in the deep end.

Well, at about level 40 I discovered that the "Buy New Role" screen actually had some vague kind of guide: at least it got me focused on the (some of the?) spells I should be using.

Of course, there are more than 12 spells all told, so I can't fit them all on the default action bar.

So after some googling ...
    a. Most of the online guides were posted in 2010, so I have no idea how valid they still are.
    b. Nothing online for the Nexus Magus "default" build at all.
    c. No real addons that help manage getting spell rotations onto a manageable set of keys.

So clearly the answer must lie with the built in macro system. Which brings its own set of questions:
    a. using macros to cast spells seems to break the ability queue. Idk how to see what my latency is, but its usually about 200ms to most EU based servers. At any rate - if I make a macro with just one spell on it, that macro will NOT cast the spell way more often than if I had the raw spell on the action bar.
    b. The macros aren't stateful and always try execute the entire macro from the first cast and simply fail to cast spells (with an on screen error!) that are on cooldown / don't have resources.
    c. #show seems largely useless as, while it can show one of the spells and its cooldown it gives no hints as to what other spells might actually be cast.
    d. Lots of spells in the Nexus Magus 'brief' have no GCD and hence must be the last spell in a macro. Also some procs make other spells GCD so macros will randomly stop cycling through all spells if those are, again, not last.

So, with all that background:
    1. What ARE the spells I should be casting in combat as a Nexus Magus?
    2. In what order should they be cast? Icy Carapace for example seems to want to be followed by air?
    3. What is the smallest number of macros I can fit them on and what are they?
    4. Is Burning Ground the only AOE I have in this build?

Ideally i'd like to use 1...4 (in a pinch up to but no more than 6) on my keyboard for skills I need to press during combat. The icon shown on the macro should in some way be able to hint if I should cast the macro or not.
    Also, how does RIFT and WoW not share the same engine? The terrain, animations, effects are just so identical in so many fine ways its amazing.

Isp
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZomie View Post
    So I'm kinda new to RIFT.
    Rolled a Mage - the game suggested, nay, recommended the Nexus Magus role. And then, other than allocating my soul, left me in the deep end.

Well, at about level 40 I discovered that the "Buy New Role" screen actually had some vague kind of guide: at least it got me focused on the (some of the?) spells I should be using.

Of course, there are more than 12 spells all told, so I can't fit them all on the default action bar.

So after some googling ...
    a. Most of the online guides were posted in 2010, so I have no idea how valid they still are.
    b. Nothing online for the Nexus Magus "default" build at all.
    c. No real addons that help manage getting spell rotations onto a manageable set of keys.

So clearly the answer must lie with the built in macro system. Which brings its own set of questions:
    a. using macros to cast spells seems to break the ability queue. Idk how to see what my latency is, but its usually about 200ms to most EU based servers. At any rate - if I make a macro with just one spell on it, that macro will NOT cast the spell way more often than if I had the raw spell on the action bar.
    b. The macros aren't stateful and always try execute the entire macro from the first cast and simply fail to cast spells (with an on screen error!) that are on cooldown / don't have resources.
    c. #show seems largely useless as, while it can show one of the spells and its cooldown it gives no hints as to what other spells might actually be cast.
    d. Lots of spells in the Nexus Magus 'brief' have no GCD and hence must be the last spell in a macro. Also some procs make other spells GCD so macros will randomly stop cycling through all spells if those are, again, not last.

So, with all that background:
    1. What ARE the spells I should be casting in combat as a Nexus Magus?
    2. In what order should they be cast? Icy Carapace for example seems to want to be followed by air?
    3. What is the smallest number of macros I can fit them on and what are they?
    4. Is Burning Ground the only AOE I have in this build?

Ideally i'd like to use 1...4 (in a pinch up to but no more than 6) on my keyboard for skills I need to press during combat. The icon shown on the macro should in some way be able to hint if I should cast the macro or not.
    Also, how does RIFT and WoW not share the same engine? The terrain, animations, effects are just so identical in so many fine ways its amazing.
    All presets are outdated and nobody would be creating low level guides for live - but you can try to adapt prime (where current level cap is 50) guides - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-prim...ussion-guides/
    But TBH it does not really matter how you play until you'll get into end game content, for lvl 70 there are up to date mage guides- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=851657820
    And you can play some specs with 4 buttons using macros.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Spells that are instant with no global cooldown actually always cast first no matter their position in the macro.

If you'd like to see the contents of a macro as the tooltip just don't use #show.

I can't speak to the Nexus magus preset, but I leveled straight Pyromancer and stuck to dungeons and IAs while leveling. Kept a chloro build if I wanted to heal. Both can be condensed to 5 or so buttons.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Vespa@Wolfsbane

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread