+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bamul

Thread: Mage Abilities/spells and macro question

Champion

Default Mage Abilities/spells and macro question

Hi,

Decided to play my level 66 mage today, after an about 3-4 year absence. His role is: Harbinger 2; Elementalist 58; Stormcaller 16.

I can't find this anywhere, which doesn't help.

What happens is that it uses a macro that worked fine in the past. However, now, for some reason, it stops after I push the key for the second time (so two spells fire, and then it stops). It has 14 spells/abilities listed in it.

Is it possible that at some point in the past, the spell/ability was deleted?

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

NOTE: Since it's been so long since I used a macro, I want to make sure I do this correctly: when using a macro, I tap the key once to do the first spell, then once again to go to the next spell, the again for the next spell, etc.? Or do I hit the key once, and the macro executes all the spells one after the other. I was hitting one tap at the time.

I play mainly solo, use a minion to tank for me, and usually play at range (I'm a bad melee player). This brings me to another question. There are some spells/abilities that require a melee weapon (sword). But since I don't do melee, can I just remove the spells/abilities that require the melee weapon. It's annoying to see him move his arms and make slashing movements with the sword, but at range that doesn't work.

I decided to include the macro, maybe that will help.

#show Elemental Burst
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae Hailstorm
    cast Elemental Burst
    cast Stormbolt
    cast Icy Carapace
    cast Lightning Strike
    cast Volcanic Eruption
    cast Crystalline Missiles
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Thunder Shock
    cast Intensify Elements
    cast Rushing Elements
    cast Raging Elements
    cast Elemental Forces
    petattack

Thanks for any help.

Rift Disciple

go to setting, check if your " cast on target of target" is on, as well as actionbar setting, check if "use ability on keypress" is checked , and the ability que is "short".

All I can think of without checking are usually those things involved. :/
    Cileriqao@Greybriar <Kairos>

Champion

Thanks for the reply.

I had all those settings correct.

I'm going to build a new macro, and then add one spell/ability at the time till I get to where it stops.

Is one keypress for each spell correct, or does the macro execute all of them automatically?

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I had all those settings correct.

I'm going to build a new macro, and then add one spell/ability at the time till I get to where it stops.

Is one keypress for each spell correct, or does the macro execute all of them automatically?
    You have to press the macro repeatedly.

With your spec you will have a hard time leveling, I recommend to have a look in this post. Specs with tank pets work only in the low level range, with level 65 + they are no longer useful.

Champion

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the suggestions in the other thread you suggested. However, anything with melee is not an option.

I play ranged with a pet tanking, and this is driven by medical issues.

So far I've not had a problem leveling my mage (with the greater earth elemental tanking), and since I don't raid (again, medical issues), I'll probably keep the current spec (but will setup some of the others you suggested and see how they work). My play style is slower than most and likely wouldn't work for most players, but it works with the pet.

Anyway, turns out what I thought was the macro stopping after the second spell was not correct. You know when you push a number key to start a spell, and when it has a cooldown, on the key there's a highlight that rotates around for the length of the cooldown, well that's what I was seeing and mistook for the macro not working. I was able to find some 72 elite boss dummies and everything was working fine.

Prophet of Telara

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the suggestions in the other thread you suggested. However, anything with melee is not an option.

I play ranged with a pet tanking, and this is driven by medical issues.

So far I've not had a problem leveling my mage (with the greater earth elemental tanking), and since I don't raid (again, medical issues), I'll probably keep the current spec (but will setup some of the others you suggested and see how they work). My play style is slower than most and likely wouldn't work for most players, but it works with the pet.

Anyway, turns out what I thought was the macro stopping after the second spell was not correct. You know when you push a number key to start a spell, and when it has a cooldown, on the key there's a highlight that rotates around for the length of the cooldown, well that's what I was seeing and mistook for the macro not working. I was able to find some 72 elite boss dummies and everything was working fine.
    You can play the 61 Harbinger with 2 buttons and 50 % of the time also as a range spec. With Elementalist and a tank pet you make your level experience unnecessarily difficult. Because 61 Harb/Chloro has so much self-healing it doesn't matter that you get the damage yourself.

Easy 2 Button Harbinger:
    Soul Tree: https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...FlaBllaGy|Pf_w

Buffs: Eldritch Armor, Reaper's Blade, Luminous Weapon with Level 69 because with Legendary Reapers Blade you cane use Reaper's Blade and Luminous Weapon or Lightning Blade at the same time.

Legendaries: Legendary Bloom (Level 66), Legendary Empyrean Ascension(Level 67), Legendary Vengeful Shock (Level 68), Legendary Reapers Blade (Level 69)

With Storm Shroud you can make yourself invisible and escape the fight at any time.
    With Blade Rush and Disabling Shock you can stun your opponent.

Rotation: Use your spam macro and if a proc is available (an icon appears on your screen) your proc macro until the icon disappears.

Spam Macro:

#show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cancelbuff Lifegiving Veil
    cast [notactive] Charged Blade
    cast Phantom Blades
    cast Empyrean Ascension
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Rending Slash
    cast Thunder Shock
    cast Lucent Slash
    cast @self Arcane Manipulation
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Introspection
    cast Conditioned Response
    cast Essence of Wind

Proc Macro:

#show Bloom
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lifegiving Veil
    cast [notactive] Charged Blade
    cast @self Bloom
    cast Vile Spores

Cancelbuff Lifegiving Veil and Vengeful Shock from the spam macro creates much spam in the chat window. Create a new chat tab with only the important information so you do not see the spam.

Champion

@ Bamul,

Thanks for the advice.

It's sad that so many roles cannot be played as they are portrayed by the company.

Right now, melee is my least favorite option. I have 3-4 other mages who will have the same problem, and I don't like having to play a character in a role I really do not like.

On my level 66, I have discovered a number of areas he has not been to, so I'm going to do all the quests there, and then see where I am level-wise.

If I decide to go melee, what type weapon does he need? 2H sword, sword and board?. I'm sure I can find something on the AH if necessary.

Thanks again.

Prophet of Telara

@ Bamul,

Thanks for the advice.

It's sad that so many roles cannot be played as they are portrayed by the company.

Right now, melee is my least favorite option. I have 3-4 other mages who will have the same problem, and I don't like having to play a character in a role I really do not like.

On my level 66, I have discovered a number of areas he has not been to, so I'm going to do all the quests there, and then see where I am level-wise.

If I decide to go melee, what type weapon does he need? 2H sword, sword and board?. I'm sure I can find something on the AH if necessary.

Thanks again.
    You don't need another weapon, you play with the same equipment as with your Elementalist. Melee is no different than a ranged fighter except that you are a little closer to the mob, due to phantom blades your melee attacks have a range of 30 m for 15 seconds. You can use this ability every 30 seconds, so the Harbinger is a ranged fighter for half the time.

61 Harbinger in combination with chloro has super self-healing, stuns, stealth, teleports (forward and backward) and unbelievable runspeed that makes you almost immortal. Without a high eternal weapon, 61 Harbinger/9 Chloro is probably your best DD spec with the most damage.

Pressing 2 buttons is now also not so complicated

If you like the Harbinger you can also play him later with more buttons to develop the full potential. The Harbinger has the largest toolset of all mage souls and is the mage soul with the best game flow and fun. So do yourself a favor and try it out!
    Last edited by Bamul; 06-24-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Champion

That means I can put the two spells back in the macro I'm using now, because they do exactly what you described.

I thought since they required a melee weapon, that by staying at long-range, they wouldn't work.

Soulwalker

What happens is that it uses a macro that worked fine in the past. However, now, for some reason, it stops after I push the key for the second time (so two spells fire, and then it stops). It has 14 spells/abilities listed in it.

Is it possible that at some point in the past, the spell/ability was deleted?

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

NOTE: Since it's been so long since I used a macro, I want to make sure I do this correctly: when using a macro, I tap the key once to do the first spell, then once again to go to the next spell, the again for the next spell, etc.? Or do I hit the key once, and the macro executes all the spells one after the other. I was hitting one tap at the time.

Thanks for any help.
    A macro will execute the first ability in the list that it can each time you push the button. It isn't a "Do this, then this, then this" situation, nor is it a "Do all of these things" batch command. It's more "Do this. If you can't, then do this. If you can't do *that*, then do this" list of priorities. Each time, it starts over at the beginning of the list ("Can I do this now?"). so when you're building a macro, you generally put, say reactive abilities (things that are only available if some other condition is true) first in the list, as they're the least likely to be available, but you do want to use them if they are. After that, you'll generally put abilities with cooldowns, so that once used they'll be unavailable for a time, allowing you to get further down the list past them. You can put spells with casttimes before instant spells, and the casttime spell will trigger unless you're moving, in which case the instant will trigger. You can put melee abilities before ranged, so that if something is in melee range that ability will trigger, but go to the ranged if there is nothing to hit in melee. Spamable abilities (no cooldown, no conditions, no casttime, etc) tend to lock out anything you might put after them, so you try to put them last.

As a result, a macro of this length is unlikely to activate all of the abilities included simply because the things towards the beginning will become available again (cooldown reset, etc) before you make it to the end.

Sorry if I'm over-explaining. The macro isn't so much a comprehensive list of things to do, as it is a prioritized list of things to attempt. The macro will always execute the first ability that it can and then start over on your next activation.

Edit: Just to make things a little more complicated, it seems that abilities that are "off Global Cooldown" can be put at the bottom of a macro list, I guess because, if you hit the button during a GCD, that's the only thing that can trigger at that moment.
    Last edited by cpnjac; 07-24-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Always learning

+ Reply to Thread