+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mage Tanking builds?

Default Mage Tanking builds?

What are some of the default talent setups folks are using?
    Sydaphex the Wandering Mage

Plane Touched

In case any other mage needs some updated mage tank specs, I have some in the following google sheets that may help. They are by no means the best, however, they all perform well. This not a guide, just the point spread. There's many more variations which I'll update at a later date.

Link
    Last edited by Mrwidoes; 01-12-2018 at 01:56 AM.
    In the wise words of my professor.. Did you read?

Soulwalker

61 arb, 11 warlock, 4 SC...is and always has been the best mitigation spec.

Sword of Telara

Due to the simplified content, mitigation is no longer as important as in previous expansions (with the exception of commander isiel). Often a spec with group healing or other useful tools makes more sense if you can save a healer, for example.

According to prancingturtle 61 Arb/11chloro/4 warlock or 61 Arb/9 Chloro/6 Harbinger seems to be a good choice for Azranel.

Quote Originally Posted by Aatelin View Post
    Can you link the build? just wanna compare to other builds regarding utility
    Sydaphex the Wandering Mage

Telaran

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#!8u/WkBlaGGll5i/e8g

Is what I use. (Think I did the link thing right... it's 61 Arb/11 lock/4 FK)

Plane Touched

I assume you go with sc for damage reduc and lock for hp? Well, 4 sc provides a flat damage reduction of 5% and 11 lock provides more hp. However, 11 Mystic Archer provides flat 5% increased incoming healing and 15% damage reduction. Then you have 4 chloro which provides another 5% damage reduction and 20% int increase every 6s or so.

But there are many variations as Bamul stated, tank specs change depending on bosses. So you can't say this spec is the best overall, free to play, probably, but you can still get the 5% damage reduction in chloro, and hp increase + shielding from fk as opposed to lock.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpacesBetween View Post
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#!8u/WkBlaGGll5i/e8g

Is what I use. (Think I did the link thing right... it's 61 Arb/11 lock/4 FK)
    You get better shielding/healing numbers from base sp gain as opposed to the base healing/shielding gain. At least from what I have seen. It may vary for you. 8% sp vs 4% heals/shielding.

Telaran

Yeah, thanks for the note, I was waffling on which one to stick those points in. Not really a great math person.

Shadowlander

I m tanking BoS with 61 arb 11 MA 4 SC (https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...WkBlaGGll5i/g8 )
    The MA buff give a flat 5% dmg reduction & 15% more Healing (elemental gift legendary) (and not 5% more Healing 15% dmg reduction as said above) and a very OP tank cooldown (40% dmg mitigation for 6s every 30 sec)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwidoes View Post
    I assume you go with sc for damage reduc and lock for hp? Well, 4 sc provides a flat damage reduction of 5% and 11 lock provides more hp. However, 11 Mystic Archer provides flat 5% increased incoming healing and 15% damage reduction. Then you have 4 chloro which provides another 5% damage reduction and 20% int increase every 6s or so.

But there are many variations as Bamul stated, tank specs change depending on bosses. So you can't say this spec is the best overall, free to play, probably, but you can still get the 5% damage reduction in chloro, and hp increase + shielding from fk as opposed to lock.
    I mean, i said mitigation. But all that aside, Chloro does not give you increased int every 6 seconds unless you cast a life ability, and it isn't a flat 5% dmg reduction, just on the target you applied radiant spores so anything with +1 add makes it useless.

And again yes....specs change, i have a necro tank spec for purging. But a tank is primarily meant to mitigate as much damage over the course of a fight as possible.

Soulwalker

Now i admit, i have been away from rift for a couple of months. But i am really interested in the best *Mitigation* spec. for the longest time it was the 11 lock/4sc spec but upon further review i will concede there are 2 other specs that seem....interesting......i will post my stats which are not fully T2 geared and hopefully an actual theorycrafting situation can happen?

Please keep in mind i am not listing arb abilities because....it's 61 arb for each spec, just adding what the sub roles add.

First spec is the 11 lock 4 sc.
    HP-568,400
    Dmg reduction 5% from SC

Second spec 11 MA 4 SC
    HP-559,401
    Dmg reduction 10% (5 from sc, 5 from ma)
    15% increased received healing from ma
    CD- 40% dmg reduction every 30 seconds (Winding paths only charges once per 20 seconds) making this seem like a 1 minute CD? unless i am missing a way to gain more stacks without dropping below 50% (Assuming you use CD's preemptively to offset big dmg)

15 FK 0 chloro
    HP-598,457
    Dmg Reduction 5% only applied to 1 target every 8 seconds (Seems meh when in a fight with adds)

So, i suppose i am trying to figure out is having more HP is better or worse then having more dmg reduction? or vice versa.
    Last edited by Aatelin; 01-26-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Plane Touched

Now i admit, i have been away from rift for a couple of months. But i am really interested in the best *Mitigation* spec. for the longest time it was the 11 lock/4sc spec but upon further review i will concede there are 2 other specs that seem....interesting......i will post my stats which are not fully T2 geared and hopefully an actual theorycrafting situation can happen?

Please keep in mind i am not listing arb abilities because....it's 61 arb for each spec, just adding what the sub roles add.

First spec is the 11 lock 4 sc.
    HP-568,400
    Dmg reduction 5% from SC

Second spec 11 MA 4 SC
    HP-559,401
    Dmg reduction 10% (5 from sc, 5 from ma)
    15% increased received healing from ma
    CD- 40% dmg reduction every 30 seconds (Winding paths only charges once per 20 seconds) making this seem like a 1 minute CD? unless i am missing a way to gain more stacks without dropping below 50% (Assuming you use CD's preemptively to offset big dmg)

15 FK 0 chloro
    HP-598,457
    Dmg Reduction 5% only applied to 1 target every 8 seconds (Seems meh when in a fight with adds)

So, i suppose i am trying to figure out is having more HP is better or worse then having more dmg reduction? or vice versa.

You'll want more hp for the commander. However, mitigation for other bosses from what I understand correctly from the mechanics.

My bad on elemental gifts, I always mix the two up lol. Thanks for the correction. And yes, the tank cd is really nice to have (it's literally one of the strongest in the game atm, behind ram, and 90% from rogue if I remember correctly). And yes I was wrong about the int increase being 6s, I was thinking of bloom for some reason, yes you can have it up 100% of the time by using withering vines. The int increase means roughly 800-1k more guard. At least for me with my gear. I understand guard helps a lot less after cap but it's still something. And the reason I mention legendary radiant spores is that of the fact that there aren't many fights where you have multiple mobs hitting you for a lot. No boss + adds hit like that in T1 raid. In T2, only commander adds would hit hard. And it would be amazing for p2/p3, you throw it up on either tank or the commander before a big hit like voltaic comes in.

With that being said, don't forget about dodge. Mages do benefit from dodge and it can really help when there is a lot of physical damage if I remember correctly Commander is physical damage. Also, I think you can only dodge physical damage anyway. Don't quote me on this though, but I assume that's why skidrow uses it. I mean if you don't take damage, you don't need mitigation. If only you could dodge spell attacks, then dodge would be truly amazing.

To get the best hp or mitigation spec from mage tank it really depends on the boss. But I think 11 ma/4chloro or 11ma/4sc might be the best mitigation specs. However, for pure hp, you'll probably want 15 fk for 6% more hp. But that takes away mystic archer. You could do 11ma/4 fk for some shielding. I believe shielding value increases with eternal proc, but not quite sure on that. I know veil does noticeably more healing if you buff it with the eternal proc. (Same way rogue eternal buffs passives)

So in conclusion I think the spec you stated just might provide the most mitigation without having to rely on buffs such as the int increase or debuffing boss. However, much testing would be required.

Plane Touched

is it me or do people overlook the 5-6 % percent mitigation from stewardship in FK?

it seems to me 15FK 0Chloro (10% total mitigation, 6% health on both tanks, plus frost barrier) > 10Lock 5SC (5% mitigation, 10% percent health on just yourself)

is 4% health better than 5% mitigation?
    Last edited by Bobtheskull; 01-27-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtheskull View Post
    is it me or do people overlook the 5-6 % percent mitigation from stewardship in FK?

it seems to me 15FK 0Chloro (10% total mitigation, 6% health on both tanks, plus frost barrier) > 10Lock 5SC (5% mitigation, 10% percent health on just yourself)

is 4% health better than 5% mitigation?
    It doesn't stack with other classes damage reduction from stewardship. So no point in using it. Unless you have a healer that isnt providing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast