+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dizbo

Thread: Why are mage legendaries so bad?

Shadowlander

Default Why are mage legendaries so bad?

Most of the initial mage legendary skills feel useless or miss that cool feeling that you get from most classes, as if no one put effort in them. For example:
    Neural Pod from the dominator gives non dominator abilities 30% bonus damage for next 3 non dominator skills
    Flame Bolt does the same but has no cd and it gives 20%
    Storm Slash does the same ..
    Searing vitality increases by 12% (ye ye u get some endurance)
    Galvanic Stike does the same (just based on charge)

and Raging storm is not useful as an offspec ability.

Compared with all other classes this one feels like someone tought of these skills for 15 minutes...
    .. so why is that?

PS: Whenever im choosing my offspecs i feel like im trying to pick the least worse choice . Not to mention that the early and mid game (while level 70) the mages dps is the worst.
    Last edited by Orsla; 10-27-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Plane Touched

Storm Slash and Searing Vitality are the only useless ones.

Legendary Flame Bolt works well with 58 ele, 18 pyro.

Legendary Galvanic Strike increases your damage done by 25% for 30s. How in the hell is this bad? Going with your logic, Legendary Piercing Beam is bad too since it increases heals and damage by only 20%. It's good for all specs as an off soul. It works well for Pyro, harb, lock and chon. Until you get t6, then Legendary Elemental Forces replaces Legendary Galvanic Strike

Legendary Neural Prod is amazing for any soul where you are too lazy to use a cast time primary bolt to proc eternal. I mean its an ogcd, instant ability and is a primary bolt. It works well with 58 ele, 18 pyro. I use it in tank to proc heals form viel.

Stormcaller is useless as a soul, aside from a hybrid mystic spec that ****s out aoe dps. Personally sustaining 2.5m over a 3m parse on 8 dummies. Skidrow hovers around 4.5m

So I don't see where you are getting "Mage Legendaries are bad". There are useless ones yes, however, there's a very small amount. Most are good.

Warriors are the lowest dps class now by the way. I pull 900k-950k on a dummy over 5m as pyro. I don't have the trinket that increases damage by 20% either. Warlock is mage top dps spec if it was fixed.
    In the wise words of my professor.. Did you read?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwidoes View Post
    Storm Slash and Searing Vitality are the only useless ones.

Legendary Flame Bolt works well with 58 ele, 18 pyro.

Legendary Galvanic Strike increases your damage done by 25% for 30s. How in the hell is this bad? Going with your logic, Legendary Piercing Beam is bad too since it increases heals and damage by only 20%. It's good for all specs as an off soul. It works well for Pyro, harb, lock and chon. Until you get t6, then Legendary Elemental Forces replaces Legendary Galvanic Strike

Legendary Neural Prod is amazing for any soul where you are too lazy to use a cast time primary bolt to proc eternal. I mean its an ogcd, instant ability and is a primary bolt. It works well with 58 ele, 18 pyro. I use it in tank to proc heals form viel.

Stormcaller is useless as a soul, aside from a hybrid mystic spec that ****s out aoe dps. Personally sustaining 2.5m over a 3m parse on 8 dummies. Skidrow hovers around 4.5m

So I don't see where you are getting "Mage Legendaries are bad". There are useless ones yes, however, there's a very small amount. Most are good.

Warriors are the lowest dps class now by the way. I pull 900k-950k on a dummy over 5m as pyro. I don't have the trinket that increases damage by 20% either. Warlock is mage top dps spec if it was fixed.
    Perhaps you were a bit harsh on the guy, as he was just saying that mage legendaries are bit lackluster. From what most of us have found the mages dps did not go up unless you have an upgraded eternal meaning eternal quality weapon.

What if legendary piercing beam increased your damage and healing by 4% for each enemy affected by blazing.

What if legendary EA decreased the mages GCD to 0.5 seconds while it was active

What if legendary storm slash had a 10% chance for your air abilities to proc st.orm slash

Having legendary abilities act like the descriptions above would be much more entertaining and less lackluster.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Redawn View Post
    Perhaps you were a bit harsh on the guy, as he was just saying that mage legendaries are bit lackluster. From what most of us have found the mages dps did not go up unless you have an upgraded eternal meaning eternal quality weapon.

What if legendary piercing beam increased your damage and healing by 4% for each enemy affected by blazing.

What if legendary EA decreased the mages GCD to 0.5 seconds while it was active

What if legendary storm slash had a 10% chance for your air abilities to proc st.orm slash

Having legendary abilities act like the descriptions above would be much more entertaining and less lackluster.
    I will show you the typical common mage answers using your examples.

1. What if legendary piercing beam increased your damage and healing by 4% for each enemy affected by blazing.
    wtf trion we have to cleave 5 target to get max potency for this legendary?
    wtf other classes doesnt have to buff plz

2. What if legendary EA decreased the mages GCD to 0.5 seconds while it was active
    wtf Trion didn't we tell you over and over again .5s gcd with a time limit is a BAD idea?? lolololol not everyone has perfect ping lololololol you get people in US doing 30 moves while my letency can only do 22 moves in the same time wtf you thinking Trion buff please

3. What if legendary storm slash had a 10% chance for your air abilities to proc st.orm slash
    wtf Trion more RNGesus crap lololololololol wtf lololl lululul wtf please stop and buff mages.

A lot of time it's not about creativity in the legendary skills. And all callings across the board shares boring/useless legendary skills.

And clearly people have no problem trading some creativity if the legendary is potent and/or brokenly overpowered.

Overall, warriors has the least functional legendary options.
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 10-27-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Plane Touched

[QUOTE=Redawn;5327945 From what most of us have found the mages dps did not go up unless you have an upgraded eternal meaning eternal quality weapon.

You do realize rogues hurt more than mages in this regard right ? Their damage is literally based off their weapon damage. As well as every other class..

And the reason for why mage legendaries aren't creative is because of how delicate souls are. Drastic changes or legendaries can push for undesirable resluts. One slight change can cause large side affects from things you wouldn't even think possible. If you don't understand this. Play a moba, 1 millisecond can make or break a game. 1 millisecond can be the difference between completely broken or completely ****. This is due to how computer architecture is unfortunately, that's just how binary is. They may be boring, but when Trion gets creative you get mystic archer.

Also, I was harsh, because I've seen so many mages complain about many things. Mainly how mage dps is so low and the worst of all the other classes. Yet I manage to do fine without grinding as much as others. The complaining has gone out of hand and has become really annoying.

My DPS sucked in this expansion, I was really annoyed, so I sat down, re-learned mage and tried to better my toon every day. And it paid off.

Also that quotation thing didn't work. I'm on mobile and hands are sweaty, knees weak. Don't sue me.

Another also. If you compare any class to prima, prima will seem to have better everything, that's just because it's a paid soul. There needs to be incentive to buy prima, so sometimes things will perform better for primas. And that's just how it is and will be, yes primas can be bad too.
    Last edited by Mrwidoes; 10-27-2017 at 04:55 PM.

<snip>Drastic changes or legendaries can push for undesirable resluts.
    ^ Best typo 2017

Why's nobody here mention the actual worst legendaries

- Misdirection
    - Ebb and Flow

Legendaries were created so they would only need to change 4 abilities to balance a soul's dps/healing and avoid everything wrong with them.

Could you provide a prancing turtle parse or pic of this? Thanks
    |AoC|Exposure|Mutiny|Crayons|Virus|Trinity|DoT

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Learan View Post
    Could you provide a prancing turtle parse or pic of this? Thanks
    Here's the parse. I was at 920k before I tried to run to get out of combat. I was using a level 72 Raid Boss Practice Dummy. The only buffs I had on were Pyromancer's Armor and Lightning Blade. I also said 900-950 because of rng, depending on how many cb procs and crits you get will change your dps by quite a bit. My max cb crit was 3.32m during this parse, however, in raid, I can crit for 4.5m - 5.0m

Pyro/Ele also does equal to or more than Pyro does currently. Check Bamuls guide on 4.3 Pyro/Ele. He did over a 1m on about a 5m parse.

Why are mage legendaries so bad?-capture.jpg
    Last edited by Mrwidoes; 10-28-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Dizbo View Post
    ^ Best typo 2017
    Ohhhhhhhh I see it now... Im slow LOL
    Last edited by Mrwidoes; 10-28-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Here's the parse. I was at 920k before I tried to run to get out of combat. I was using a level 72 Raid Boss Practice Dummy. The only buffs I had on were Pyromancer's Armor and Lightning Blade. I also said 900-950 because of rng, depending on how many cb procs and crits you get will change your dps by quite a bit. My max cb crit was 3.32m during this parse, however, in raid, I can crit for 4.5m - 5.0m

Pyro/Ele also does equal to or more than Pyro does currently. Check Bamuls guide on 4.3 Pyro/Ele. He did over a 1m on about a 5m parse.

Attachment 32241

Does the eternal weapon make a big difference? I'm stuck on the wicket quest currently but my gear is a mix of lfr and T1. Currently I'm only parsing between 600-650 in raid. Thanks for the info
    |AoC|Exposure|Mutiny|Crayons|Virus|Trinity|DoT

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Learan View Post
    Does the eternal weapon make a big difference? I'm stuck on the wicket quest currently but my gear is a mix of lfr and T1. Currently I'm only parsing between 600-650 in raid. Thanks for the info
    That depends on the spec Pyro and Elementalist (only with the last step usefull) scale extremely well with higher weapon upgrades. Harbinger scales the worst with the weapon therefore harbinger is without a Eternal weapon or with one of the lower steps the better spec.

Of course, the rising stats of the weapon also make a big difference. But with the last weapon upgrade and full T1 gear all mage specs (Pyro, Ele, Harb, Warlock) do more than 1 m DPS.

+ Reply to Thread