+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is Mystic Archer Needed?

Default Is Mystic Archer Needed?

I have a question... More like a couple of questions for the Mages of Rift. I've a Mage myself that I've played to cap and some after but I'm not nearly in the know as the rest of you.

My questions are this. What exactly is the purpose of this soul? From what I understand the soul itself is supposed to be a reliable solo soul for Mages, but I want to make sure my foundation for this conversation is solid.

If that is the purpose of this soul, is it actually needed for that purpose or would a rework of existing souls (necro or ele come to mind) meet the goals of this soul? Could this purpose be met by a hard/arb hybrid?

This soul being put in the game doesn't make a lot of sense, so hopefully someone can explain it to me.

Soulwalker

This is a conversation that should have happened weeks/months ago. At this point the resources have already been spent on creating this soul based on what Trion believes the game needs so all we can do is hope the resources were well spent and the soul is useful.
    Last edited by Jeluth; 10-13-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Soulwalker

Default free soul?

my question is will this soul be free or will it be part of a pack you gotta pay for?

Quote Originally Posted by thecursedgod View Post
    my question is will this soul be free or will it be part of a pack you gotta pay for?
    its obviously gonna be a pack, they need to make Money yknow

Quote Originally Posted by Semiso View Post
    I remember Archonix saying they were being sold separately

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Semiso View Post
    This is the part I don't understand. If they want to make money then why they are making such a useless soul ?
    Lokken - 65 lvl r100 Mage
    Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeluth View Post
    This is a conversation that should have happened weeks/months ago. At this point the resources have already been spent on creating this soul based on what Trion believes the game needs so all we can do is hope the resources were well spent and the soul is useful.
    Here's the thing, I actually like the concept of the archer. A mage picking up a bow and putting a new take on the idea of a bow wielding class is a really cool concept to me, and Rift has always been about new and unique concepts for classes.

The problem isn't the concept itself. The problem is two specific aspects, the first one being the practicality of the team coming out and saying mages are in desperate need of a solo spec. This shouldn't be a problem at all by this stage of the game. Mages have currently 1 tanking soul, 1 support soul, 2 healing souls, 7 damage souls. Between the sheer amount of souls available, the even greater amount of hybrids that could be utilized, the masteries system, and the legendary abilities system there is absolutely no excuse that there isn't a good solo build for mages. The only two reasons why there isn't a good build, one being the devs are wildly incompetent which is something I don't personally believe. The second reason would be that the team is improperly motivated (how the game is monetized) which I do personally believe is the problem.

The second problem with this soul is the gimmicky aiming system. This is going to be something that the community will most likely hate, even in Tera with an engine created to support this type of combat, it's still wildly infuriating to try to play. It will not do well with the Rift engine supporting it. It will become resented by the community and the team will have to go back and and change how this soul works. Save everyone the headache and make it work properly the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    We had good solo builds, but the chloro change killed them and the pet ones are so bad after nerfs that they are not viable for endgame open content.
    Chloro change hasn't killed anything, Legendary Bloom can heal you without going LGV, and if u need more heal, LGV + Bloom = near full health then cancelbuff

Even 61 Harb with LGV up still does alot of damage and u can even pull more then 10 mobs and kill them fast, the damage reduction isn't as large as it sounds in the tool-tip.

And any soul can solo with, Chloro off soul, FK off soul, Even the level 65 mastery is enough to solo. Go Pyro near enough 1 shot everything and if u need to heal, use the mastery.

But saying the Chloro changed made us not have any good solo specs is just a lie.

The Gamer Beans
    <Special Olympics>
    <StackOnEight>
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkoss View Post
    I'm not saying I'm great, Alfiexx is great.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiexx View Post
    But saying the Chloro changed made us not have any good solo specs is just a lie.
    I agree with Alifexx the mage especially harb/chloro is one of the best solo classes. Legendary Bloom + Lifegiving Veil is so strong its a 100% heal every 10 seconds.

@Mordrahan
    Try to manage your Lifegiving Veil, with a /cancelbuff Lifegiving Veil macro switch it off if you don't need healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiexx View Post
    Chloro change hasn't killed anything, Legendary Bloom can heal you without going LGV, and if u need more heal, LGV + Bloom = near full health then cancelbuff

Even 61 Harb with LGV up still does alot of damage and u can even pull more then 10 mobs and kill them fast, the damage reduction isn't as large as it sounds in the tool-tip.

And any soul can solo with, Chloro off soul, FK off soul, Even the level 65 mastery is enough to solo. Go Pyro near enough 1 shot everything and if u need to heal, use the mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    I agree with Alifexx the mage especially harb/chloro is one of the best solo classes. Legendary Bloom + Lifegiving Veil is so strong its a 100% heal every 10 seconds.

@Mordrahan
    Try to manage your Lifegiving Veil, with a /cancelbuff Lifegiving Veil macro switch it off if you don't need healing.
    Interesting... so what's the purpose of the team going out their way to market this soul as a viable soloing soul, making it seem like there is none? It seems like there is a decent build already, so what am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    We had good solo builds, but the chloro change killed them and the pet ones are so bad after nerfs that they are not viable for endgame open content.
    Mages have some of the strongest if not the best solo build w/ 61 harb/chloro/fk spec --- legendary rime is massive passive healing, legendary bloom's heal value alone is strong on a short cooldown, and LGV + lucent slash is solid aoe cleave + healing.

Make macros such as:

show lucent slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] lifegiving veil
    cast lucent slash

then make another macro:

show smileface
    cancelbuff lifegiving veil

turn lgv on when you want, turn it off when you want, have a glorious day, and please no more telling fables that the chloro change killed solo builds.

Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

Conditioned Response and Legendary Bloom combined with Harb dodge and that mitigation thing, haven't needed LGV for a long time.

Mystic Archer doesn't need to exist for any other reason than money.
    No longer playing Rift
    Mage Bugs in 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by Deeew View Post
    Mages have some of the strongest if not the best solo build w/ 61 harb/chloro/fk spec --- legendary rime is massive passive healing, legendary bloom's heal value alone is strong on a short cooldown, and LGV + lucent slash is solid aoe cleave + healing.

Make macros such as:

show lucent slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] lifegiving veil
    cast lucent slash

then make another macro:

show smileface
    cancelbuff lifegiving veil

turn lgv on when you want, turn it off when you want, have a glorious day, and please no more telling fables that the chloro change killed solo builds.

Good thing you pushed so hard for this, casual players certainly know what cancelbuff macros are and have the neccessary skill to play with buff toggling.

On the upside now every raid runs with two chloros that can heal each other...oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by notawaifu View Post
    Mystic Archer doesn't need to exist for any other reason than money.
    This. Also, you can be sure it wont be properly balanced at release, it will most certainly be our top dps soul, probably by a big margin. Gotta sell those packs somehow...
    Axynia - Pagefault - Segfault - Xinira
    <Transcendent>

Quote Originally Posted by qUiXui View Post

On the upside now every raid runs with two chloros that can heal each other...oh wait.

Is the joke that you only need 1 healer? jk

(It aint my problem that things arent balanced perfectly in rift, and souls like liberator/farseer/bard are a thing XD )

Also, it is not very difficult for pro's like yourself to sprinkle a little knowledge on the #casuals with a simple how-to copy and paste macro guide or something?

I personally don't expect everyone to be a master of the art of mage, but they can certainly google. It's just rude to imply otherwise. jk

-----------------

Is your health too low? press 6 (the lucent slash with lgv macro)

put cancelbuff lifegiving veil at the top of your normal rotation macros.

win.

------------

In other news, mages will have a top dps spec soon!
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

Quote Originally Posted by Deeew View Post
    You seem to forget a simple thing.
    Harb and FK are paying souls. So to have a viable solo spec mages need to use two payed souls.
    Before we could put some chloro with LGV in any spec and make a good solo hybrid spec. And we could do decent damage while passively healing. It was good, easy to understand and play. And no paying soul needed.
    This is no more, we have to toggle, heal or damage, not both like before. This is what I said, and it was a big change, bad for FTP players, and also for those who want to play something else than Harb.
    Mages no more have good solo builds without paying souls. Only calling in this situation.
    And for pyro farm... try it with a fresh 70 toon in VP... you will not live long. You need good gear for this. I do it with raid gear, but this is not what I call a solo spec.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 10-14-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast