+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is Mystic Archer Needed?

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    You seem to forget a simple thing.
    Harb and FK are paying souls. So to have a viable solo spec mages need to use two payed souls.
    Before we could put some chloro with LGV in any spec and make a good solo hybrid spec. And we could do decent damage while passively healing. It was good, easy to understand and play. And no paying soul needed.
    This is no more, we have to toggle, heal or damage, not both like before. This is what I said, and it was a big change, bad for FTP players, and also for those who want to play something else than Harb.
    Mages no more have good solo builds without paying souls. Only calling in this situation.
    And for pyro farm... try it with a fresh 70 toon in VP... you will not live long. You need good gear for this. I do it with raid gear, but this is not what I call a solo spec.
    Try 61/15 Warlock/Necro. I used it to level from 65 to 70 at 4.0 launch. That was before Warlock got buffed (passive dot buff).
    Lokken - 65 lvl r100 Mage
    Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/

So, there are a few solo specs that are viable then? What am I missing then? What's the deal with the soul being marketed in the way it is?

Telaran

The new spec is supposed to be something new to the rift game, providing a "fun" and "innovative" way to play a spec. Each expansion has new souls for each calling. It's also another marketing strategy to make more money. The concept is fine, the implementation needs a lot of tlc. The thing is, they could have made another dps, heal, or support soul but none of those are needed either. In my opinion, I'd rather have MA as opposed to any other soul, especially not another tank or healing soul. I could do with another dps one though. The only thing that excites me about this souls is how well it plays as an off soul for tanking. Mage tanks aren't in the best place as tanks currently. Mitigation wise, rogue, primas and voidknight win. Healing wise, clerics do really, really well healing. Arbiter is definitely really fun to play, and arbiter/fk/chloro is a nice little gem I made with a guildie a few months ago.

It technically could have had any other purpose, but I guess the dice just rolled that way.

Also, Keyens is making changes to it over time. But it still needs a lot of work for it to be ready for live.

Hopefully this kinda answers your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwidoes View Post
    Also, Keyens is making changes to it over time. But it still needs a lot of work for it to be ready for live.
    4.3 is in a fortnight. It's going to launch unfinished.
    No longer playing Rift
    Mage Bugs in 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    You seem to forget a simple thing.
    Harb and FK are paying souls. So to have a viable solo spec mages need to use two payed souls.
    Before we could put some chloro with LGV in any spec and make a good solo hybrid spec. And we could do decent damage while passively healing. It was good, easy to understand and play. And no paying soul needed.
    This is no more, we have to toggle, heal or damage, not both like before. This is what I said, and it was a big change, bad for FTP players, and also for those who want to play something else than Harb.
    Mages no more have good solo builds without paying souls. Only calling in this situation.
    And for pyro farm... try it with a fresh 70 toon in VP... you will not live long. You need good gear for this. I do it with raid gear, but this is not what I call a solo spec.
    Its almost like this was a conversation from the past. Like here where people including myself had giving input to what free souls would make a good solo spec, without harb.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

It looks like currently Mystic Archer abilities are tuned to be 100% to 50% more damage than any other soul when you create a new character.

So when they say you can solo with it mean they have doubled the damage and don't care about balance. It will also be a killer in PvP, and top dps in AIs just by using Arcane Shot.

Personally i wanted a new tank soul or dps soul that is unique

This soul is unique because of the instant cast abilities but the mechanic of picking up bolts is annoying and many of us did not ask for a paid open world soul since we already had harbringer.

so now Mage can have bow? and bow wardrobe?
    if yes
    a) do I have to buy archer to be able to use bow wardrobe
    b) i dont have to buy

Seems like this soul's real purpose is to introduce action style combat. I dont know of any mmo's that have introduced this to an already existing tab target combat system so late in it's history, but I do know all the games that have tried to implement both as options at their launches have garbage combat systems in general and aren't very good because of it. Maybe it will work here, but it's going to take class balance to a new level of difficulty.

I wish they would have spent their time unGimping the Ranger and Marksman souls for Rogues FIRST. Those have been nerfed for some time now and there really isn't a good ranged soul for Rogues. Night/Sab does about 50% more damage than any Ranger or Marksman build.
    Dharma (Level 70): Proclus Lycaeus --- Damaged (ALL level 65): Berilion, Daermoon, Ephrus, Shvaai
    The Lords of Chaos (Personal - ALL level 65): Ennal, Benderis, Eldr, Yamule, Mirahsha, Wolframm, Ariarlos
    Vengeance: EU/Typhiria : Proclus (65), Sibenundvierzig (57), Cyfer (65), Shvaai (15)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Proclus_Lycaeus View Post
    I wish they would have spent their time unGimping the Ranger and Marksman souls for Rogues FIRST. Those have been nerfed for some time now and there really isn't a good ranged soul for Rogues. Night/Sab does about 50% more damage than any Ranger or Marksman build.
    Warrior need much more help than any other class in the game. I hope they take a look at Night/Sab after warrior is fixed.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    So, there are a few solo specs that are viable then? What am I missing then? What's the deal with the soul being marketed in the way it is?
    At level 70 I have noticed there are a whole lot of people playing mages so I expect that is where they would maximize profit, which is fine, that is what they are in business for.

I just hope it has not been made so weak as to avoid people screaming nerf it, that it ends up being worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    I just hope it has not been made so weak as to avoid people screaming nerf it, that it ends up being worthless.
    The trouble is that most people, if not all, might not be able to use it at all.

Experts and Raids are a possibility, but it takes a lot of commitment on top of what your already doing and there's no utility for mechanics.
    PvP is probably a no go, which is probably where the OP comes in.
    Solo is also a no go, which is where the OP comes in again.

The only place I see it shine any where is IAs, Onslaughts and Raid Rifts.

Something worse than Tactician I suspect it will be.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 10-25-2017 at 05:13 AM.

Mages may be good at 70, but getting there they are bad period. This is why I believe a Mystic Archer is so needed
    Last edited by Kantazo; 10-25-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    There are not Powers above the Earth, on the Earth or beneath the Earth that can separate us from His love.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kantazo View Post
    Mages may be good at 70, but getting there they are bad period. This is why I believe a Mystic Archer is so needed
    another paid soul to get there. nope. just nope. especially considering you already have all you need to get there in game, if you are going to pay for souls anyways.
    there is no need for this new marksm...cough! ...soul, if the intent is to give viable options to solo. they could just fix necro if there was the lack of free options and since this new soul is p2p there are not going to be free options. nothing's changed, other than the fact that there will be another soul that will not be fully useful in relevant content, to be added to the plenty that already exist and only function as off souls. the concept is nice tho and i kind of like the idea, although i would have given it to rogues instead. but this is rift, where mages got to wield 2 handed swords that they pull from their back pockets, and dam, i like harbinger so, im divided. might be a fun thing to mess with.
    Last edited by mg83; 10-25-2017 at 08:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast